~The Playstation Plus Thread~ (aka Playstation Now merges with Plus)

Playstation Plus becomes name brand, three tiers of subscriptions. Live in June.
More later today.

PlayStation Plus Essential

Benefits: 
    Provides the same benefits that PlayStation Plus members are getting today, such as:
        Two monthly downloadable games
        Exclusive discounts
        Cloud storage for saved games
        Online multiplayer access
    There are no changes for existing PlayStation Plus members in this tier.

Price* for PlayStation Plus Essential remains the same as the current price for PlayStation Plus.
    United States
        $9.99 monthly / $24.99 quarterly / $59.99 yearly
    Europe
        €8.99 monthly / €24.99 quarterly / €59.99 yearly
    United Kingdom
        £6.99 monthly / £19.99 quarterly / £49.99 yearly 
    Japan
        ¥850 monthly / ¥2,150 quarterly / ¥5,143 yearly

PlayStation Plus Extra

Benefits: 
    Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
    Adds a catalog of up to 400* of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.

Price*:
    United States
        $14.99 monthly / $39.99 quarterly / $99.99 yearly
    Europe
        €13.99 monthly / €39.99 quarterly / €99.99 yearly
    United Kingdom
        £10.99 monthly / £31.99 quarterly / £83.99 yearly 
    Japan
        ¥1,300 monthly / ¥3,600 quarterly / ¥8,600 yearly

PlayStation Plus Premium**

Benefits:
    Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
    Adds up to 340* additional games, including:
        PS3 games available via cloud streaming
        A catalog of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations 
    Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets** where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.*** 
    Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.

Price*:
    United States
        $17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly
    Europe
        €16.99 monthly / €49.99 quarterly / €119.99 yearly
    United Kingdom
        £13.49 monthly / £39.99 quarterly / £99.99 yearly 
    Japan
        ¥1,550 – monthly / ¥4,300 – quarterly / ¥10,250 yearly

that’s pretty great for me. I bought a PS Now yearly membership recently, but canceled PS Plus.
With the merge, my PS Now will become PS Plus Premium (which is double the price of the old PS Now).

Yay, Elden Ring multiplayer, here I come …

edit: Summer 2022, hm okay. I think I will get a month of current PS plus before that.

Looks like everything will be able to be played downloaded except PS3 games which are cloud stream only for now, thanks Cell.

Still not doing day and date with first-party

But…

Yeah, I don’t see that lasting. Give it a year before they switch.

Have they announced game catalogs for the tiers yet?

I don’t think so. They only mention the few launch games on the service:

Death Stranding,
God of War,
Marvel’s Spider-Man,
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales,
Mortal Kombat 11, and
Returnal

I suppose Miles Morales and Returnal are two I don’t own, but I’m not sure I want to get PS Now Plus Extra or Premium just for those.

Of course, this just seems to be a re-branding of PS Now, so it’s a good bet PS Now games will all be in the Premium tier, and the PS3/PS2/PS1/PSP games will only be in the Premium tier.

Oh hey, I found a better website for exploring PS Now games.

They have Crysis Remastered, and Shadow Warrior 3. And Ghost of a Tale which recently left Game Pass.

Yeah, as I suspected I already have pretty much everything on there that I want. I’ll stick with the basic plan.

Sony’s done a good job of convincing me to buy their exclusives so now I don’t see any value in upping to that tier.

I think that’s partly why they’re offering a steep discount on the yearly plan. $18/month doesn’t seem like a lot of value, and people would quickly realize it.

No day 1 releases for big games means Sony doesn’t understand why Xbox is having so much GamePass success.

Been looking at the PS Now library. The only games I see from their PS2 library I maybe wanted to check out was Rogue Galaxy.

And from their PS3 library:
Resistance 3
Killzone 3
Infamous 2
Infamous Festival of Blood
Metal Gear Solid 4

And from their PS4 library the only ones that I wanted to check out that I don’t already own:
Gravity Rush 2
Nioh 2

The question is, do they need GP success if their games sell at full price well enough?

It’s not surprising given the leaks but it’s still disappointing. I’ve been on the verge of dropping PS+ for a while now, but if they’d added stuff to it as part of the bottom tier I’d almost certainly stick around. But I can’t see myself paying more for what they’re offering, so I’m probably just going to drop it altogether.

Underwhelming. I’m going to miss being able to sub to ps now for a month and binging through the new games. This might be good for the people who subscribe to both though, and hopefully means an end to all the duplicate months. Curious about the trials, ps1 and psp stuff.

Re: ps3 catalog, theres some very good stuff there. I was time logging in the past and enjoyed 800 hours of them. Half of that was just in koei tecmo games

It is telling that their highest tier is more than Game Pass ultimate, and still doesn’t include day 1 exclusives.

I think, all in all, it is nice for those locked in to the Playstation ecosystem, but definitely not as competitive with game pass ultimate as it could have been.

The biggest selling point of buying a PS5 is the Sony exclusives, not including them in their premiere pass kind of pushes against buying anything above the lower tiers. Like, I am already going to probably buy at least 2 games a year that are exclusives, and since they have been doing that for a while, most of the back catalog are games I already own… Is it worth it?

I think it will come down to the library available.

They were talking like 700ish games available… that is a pretty big library, way more so than Game Pass.

As of 2020 they were over 800 games available for PS Now. Some of those have lapsed and others have been added. So I think 700ish games probably just indicates the current PS Now library being brought over, with new games joining from the PS4/PS5 generation, of course, but with the same back catalog, for the most part.

If I was Sony I’d bring in at least some flashy additions to the back catalog choices too, just to make that Premium tier more attractive since that’s the tier that will have the PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP games.

If Sony won’t offer day one exclusives, at least offer a substantial discount to purchase the game. If I could buy new games at 50% off, I might be more inclined to sub to that particular tier.

Sony already does this with PS+, just not very often and the discounts are pretty weak.

I don’t mind the idea of a weaker PS+ offering from Sony. With the end-goal in mind as a consumer of three healthy companies in Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo each offering their own unique value in the console space, with all 3 being successful, I kind of like Sony staying conservative and continuing to sell what currently sells well for them and not being too aggressive in trying to lose money (compared to what they could make without discounting) just to dislodge a contender trying to carve out their own space.

Which is the tier with Vita games?