The Q23 Word of the Day

That was a big fish. Leviathan is mentioned in Job.

EDIT:
Leviathan’s mentioned in a couple of other places, too, briefly. But Job 40-41 has an extended take on it, along with behemoth.

Gav

That was a big fish. Leviathan is mentioned in Job.

EDIT:
Leviathan’s mentioned in a couple of other places, too, briefly. But Job 40-41 has an extended take on it, along with behemoth.

Gav[/quote]

Am I wrong then? I seem to be, but you didn’t come out and say it. Maybe I was thinking of Pinnocchio? No wait, that was Monstro.

Yes, you are, as Gav made clear. It’s like people who think Satan gave Eve the apple; the book of Genesis just mentions an unnamed snake. Same with the fish that swalled Jonah. It was just a fish with no name. Not even a featured extra, really.

BTW, what Amanpour’s dictionary entry left out is that Leviathan is often used as a metaphor for government. This probably has to do with Hobbes writing some tract on government that was titled Leviathan.

-Tom

Specifically, a tract that endorsed the biggest of big governments, absolute monarchy. He started with the premise that all men are equal because they have equal power to bring about the death of another human. The whole “nasty, brutish, and short” life in a world without government. To protect their lives, people should give up some of their natural liberties to an absolute sovereign.

Troy

I’m right about Pinnochio though Tom. You can’t take that away from me.

And Peter Weller—DOH!

“Come quietly, or there will be…trouble.”

-Amanpour

Thank you for your cooperation. Good night.

Wednesday’s:

behemoth

1. Something enormous in size or power.
  2. often Behemoth A huge animal, possibly the hippopotamus, described in the Bible.
  3. Big Daddy Don BoDean’s truck (alt. spelling: bohweamoth)

-1: someone or something that is abnormally large and powerful [syn: giant, goliath, monster, colossus] 2: a person of exceptional importance and reputation [syn: colossus, giant, heavyweight, titan]

(Job 40: 15-24) Some have supposed this to be the Egyptian word meaning “water ox.”

According to wikipedia…“Behemoth is a well-known monster in many Final Fantasy videogames.”

Furthermore, wikipedia also claims that according to Jewish tradition, it was impossible for anyone to kill behemoth but the one who created it, and I’m not allowed to type that Person’s name for fear of being stricken dead. “A later Jewish haggadic tradition furthermore holds that at the banquet at the end of the world, the behemoth will be served up along with the leviathan and ziz” (the ziz of course being that giant bird in Jewish mythology we all know and love. Like the Roc).*

I love wikipedia.

-Amanpour

*not Duane Johnson

Shocked to discover it all taste like chicken.

Plus he didn’t give it to her, plus it wasn’t an apple, plus her name wasn’t Eve at the time. I see just what you mean, dude. :wink:

Plus he didn’t give it to her, plus it wasn’t an apple, plus her name wasn’t Eve at the time. I see just what you mean, dude. :wink:[/quote]
That’s extra-funny if I use John Goodman’s voice in my head.

Friday’s:

beard

1. The hair on a man’s chin, cheeks, and throat.
  2. A hairy or hairlike growth such as that on or near the face of certain mammals.
  3. A tuft or group of hairs or bristles on certain plants, such as barley and wheat.
  4. One who serves to divert suspicion or attention from another.
  5. Printing The raised slope on a piece of type between the shoulder or counter and the face. Also called neck.
  6. Jennifer Garner. Penelope Cruz. Nicole Kidman. Tom Arnold. Princess Diana. Cindy Crawford. et al.

tr.v.

1. To furnish with a beard.
  2. To confront boldly.

Beard, James Andrew
American cookery expert widely considered to be one of the foremost authorities on American cuisine.

And at last we come to Wikipedia. There’s an entire page on the history of beards. Zeus. Poseidon. Amish people. Blah blah blah beards. Until you get to the very bottom…

Slang
Beard is also a slang term for a female companion “kept” to disguise a male’s homosexuality.

So there you have it.

-Amanpour

Saturday’s:

hysteria

1. Behavior exhibiting excessive or uncontrollable emotion, such as fear or panic.
  2. A mental disorder characterized by emotional excitability and sometimes by amnesia or a physical deficit, such as paralysis, or a sensory deficit, without an organic cause.
  3. When people mistake burritos for guns, and tell the police about it.
  4. A Def Leppard album that’s no Pyromania.

wikipedia:

Hysteria is a diagnostic label applied to a state of mind, one of unmanageable fear or emotional excesses. The fear is often centered on a body part, most often on an imagined problem with that body part (disease is a common complaint). People who are “hysterical” often lose self-control due to an overwhelming fear.

The term originates with the Greek medical term, hysterikos. This referred to a supposed medical condition, peculiar to women, caused by a disturbance of the uterus, hysteria in Greek. The term hysteria was coined by Hippocrates, who thought the cause of hysteria was the irregular movement of blood from the uterus to the brain.

Hysteria is often associated with movements like the Salem Witch Trials, the Red Scare, McCarthyism, and Satanic abuse, where it is better understood through the related sociological term of moral panic.

-Amanpour

Can we have this cool thread someplace where the hscroll isn’t broken? Maybe each Qt3 word of the day should get its own thread? Or would that be too peripatetic? Also, can we make requests for words of the day? If so, can my request be ‘peripatetic’?

-Tom

WTF is “Satanic abuse?” I’ve always fancied myself more of a casual Satan user, if you must know. At parties or on special occasions, and so forth.

Sure. We can have it wherever you people want it. It just seemed to go best under Everything else, but just let me know.

where the hscroll isn’t broken?

I don’t know what this means. Did I mess up something? Format something wrong? Break the Internets?

Maybe each Qt3 word of the day should get its own thread? Or would that be too peripatetic?

I don’t know if it’ll be too peripatetic, but I’m pretty sure it would be too effete. How about I just start a new thread for May?

Also, can we make requests for words of the day? If so, can my request be ‘peripatetic’?

Sure. Requests are welcome. In fact, I meant to honor your request for Thursday’s word, but I didn’t get home until 2:45am that night, for some reason. So I’ll do a supplemental.

“He sang the strangest songs to me, by bands I had never heard of: Boston, Kansas, America, Europe, Asia…travel exhausts me.”

-Amanpour

Thursday’s word…supplemental:

fleshpot

1. A district or establishment offering sensual pleasure or entertainment. Often used in the plural.
  2. Physical or sensual gratification.

I actually went with this one, because I thought you folks needed to Brush Up Your Bible:

“In retrospect, slavery doesn’t seem so bad at all: at least the Israelites had their fill of the famous flesh pots of Egypt.”

“Those who wish to be more precise use the more derivative term “sexpot,” which gets right to the point.”

So. Slavery not so bad. Unless you’re a vegetarian.

-Amanpour

Hey,
Just a thought.
But I don’t personally like the idea of “requests” for word of the day.

I kinda like seeing what pops up in the everyday posting of other posters. That at least gives some context to the word of the day. Rather than someone, say, exercising his vocabulary just so he can enjoy a brief spate of mental masturbation.

Besides, if we don’t know where the word of the day is coming from, it could inspire us to pepper our already loquacious diatribes with increasingly feckless adjectives in tautologically vainglorious attempts to ascend to that position of master interlocutor.

Besides, if we don’t know where the word of the day is coming from, it could inspire us to pepper our already loquacious diatribes with increasingly feckless adjectives in tautologically vainglorious attempts to ascend to that position of master interlocutor.

Equis, nice try at sounding like Dr. Crypt, but you need better words. :)

Amanpour, hscroll is ‘horizontal scroll’. It gets broken when someone posts an URL that’s too long to fit a typical browser’s width. Since quatoria was too lazy to use www.tinyurl.com, now we all have to scroll horiztontally to read these posts. Which most of us are too lazy to do. It’ll get fixed when this thread moves to a new page or when quatoria edits his post.

-Tom

It’s all quatoria’s fault.