The Real Dark Souls *spoiler* thread starts here

For four kings, I just boosted the fuck out of my stamina and endurance, and then I just waded in with heavy armor and flailed with a 2H. I killed those fuckers so fucking fast that I had to wait for the fourth guy to spawn.

Note on waiting: if during an idle moment you try to take off the abysswalking ring in order to put on something more lucrative (ie soul ring), you die instantly. This was an unfortunate thing to find out at the end of the fight, even though it seems obvious now.

Also, the bed is dead, now I’m just stalling before killing everybody and going after the big bad. I can see where it would be frustrating but overall it’s pretty forgiving for a boss. In general I think it’s accurate to say that I had far more trouble dealing with non-lords than lords in this game.

Any tricks for going after Seath’s tail in the crystal caves? Once he starts swinging his tails around I’m taking massive damage regardless of whatever armor I’m wearing.

Well, it’s a lot easier with help… having someone in front of Seath while you run behind to whack at the tail (by the way, you have to hit it near the tip). He has a bad habit of hiding his tail inside the wall, so it helps to wait over by the crystal to pull him forward a bit.

If you’re going it alone, it helps to be as fast as possible, so that you can run around him faster than he can spin. If he lifts one of his tendrils, back up so that you don’t get pounded.

I’ve only tried to get the sword once, though, and that was with help from a phantom, so I’m sure others have better tips.

Jab, try a weapon that thrusts forward like a spear (rapiers or the katanas running poke work too). Make sure you hit just the tip of the tail, where there are no scales and its smooth and furry. Get one hit in, and then roll away. If you hit the right spot on the tail, Seath will do the tail whip move that is devastating you currently. It’s deadly, but really good feedback for knowing what part of the tail you hit.

Ok so I struggled with this for several hours. I assume you want this because you’re an int-based character. Here’s how I did it.

Equipment: High curse resist rags armor set (I forget the name), Cloranthy Ring for 2x stamina regen (found in the Great Hollow near the beginning), and the best slashing weapon you have that can be 2 handed. I used a +5 Magic Iaito, mainly for speed.

The way I did this was to kite Seath. Exploit his mobility and lure him into the center area (he’ll usually hug one wall but get him in the center of that wall). Bait him into his semi-circle breath weapon attack, this attack has the longest recovery time. When he starts to wind up for that attack, he will not rotate to face you, keeping his tail in the open (hopefully). Charge around him, take 1 or 2 slashes at the tippity tip of it, then get the fuck out to the other side of the room. He’ll typically try to tail swipe you, which will take almost all your life if it connects, and put you in a knockdown state so the next hit will kill you.

The other thing he might do is the up-down tail smack. This has a pattern, it’s like middle, right, left, middle. As he’s coming down with the last smack you can get another slash on the tail before he rotates if you time it right and close in from outside the range of that attack, but it the tail tip connects you’ll die.

When I actually succeeded in getting the tail it only took 3 solid hits out of a run (with Iaito it’s like a sliding slash attack). Remember to hit the last little bit of the tail, about the length of your character’s body or less.

Yeah none of the lords really caused me any problems. Four Kings stonewalled me for a stretch, but I just needed to level a bit. But once I did, I killed them easy, I did Seath first try solo, Nito I one shotted so easily it was kind of funny. Bed of Chaos killed me a couple times due to being unlucky but was otherwise trivial.

One problem with having such a minimal story that gets referenced so little is that I’ve completely forgotten what the plot is. Something about an Age of Fire and an Age of Man, but now everyone is undead because the fire went out or something?

One problem with having such a minimal story that gets referenced so little is that I’ve completely forgotten what the plot is. Something about an Age of Fire and an Age of Man, but now everyone is undead because the fire went out or something? Or there was too much fire and everyone died?

I would agree with this and is my main complaint for the game. I feel like there’s no harm in reinforcing this a little more somehow.

The best trick is in the begining to wait by the crystal until he comes to you and starts his animation to do his breath thing. At that moment you start running for the tail (without breaking the crystal). He will break the crystal with his own attack, by that time you will be on your way to his tail. Breaking the crystal staggers him for quite some time, which was enough for me to cut off his tail.

Just don’t start running too early. Or too late. :)

Get the weapon with the most DPS, 2h your weapon and hit the very tip as was mentioned.

I did it with Quelaag’s Sword +5.

Is there ever a point to take Resistance over Vitality?

There’s never a point to take Resistance, period.

I’ve finally seen Ash Lake. It is pretty.

The last time I tried coming down here was ages ago, back when I first reached Blighttown. The three mushroom daddies at the bottom of the Great Hollow blocked me. As I recall, someone here suggested poison arrows, but I’d already left at that point. (I didn’t have any with me at the time–I’ve since bought some, but I never seem to use them.)

The real secret to breezing through them? The fog ring. One billion times easier when you can take them one at a time.

Also one billion times easier now that I can carry enough sorcery to burn all three of them down without touching my sword, but that’s cheating. :>

I swear I beat the crap out of Priscilla’s tail but it never came off and she died. Her dagger would have actually been good for my high dex build. Oh well.

Also, from Catacombs to Sen’s to Anor to Painted world, I feel like I’m leveling really quick and my relative power is going up pretty fast. Or maybe those areas are just easy or I’m just getting better at the game? The three bosses (haven’t made it to Anor’s) all went down relatively easily.

I managed to get her tail without even trying. Item just appeared and surprised me.

This has probably been asked in here already but here goes:

What the hell is with getting backstabbed from the front in PvP? Is the game just that laggy? I’ve died like a dozen times to invaders because of it.

This issue existed in Demon’s Souls also, it’s lag.

It could be lag, but there are also some twitchy techniques that make it sort of look like someone is backstabbing you from the front, like this video illustrates (worth watching if you can get through the annoying bits):

So wrt parries I was trying out the different fists and claws, and the potential for hilarity is endless. I’m not sure how the timing window goes, but it seemed pretty easy to practice on the Burgers. I’m still not convinced about the risk/reward for regular enemies, but the opportunity to front backstab a boss for huge damage is pretty appealling.

Also it turns out the forest covenant is a really good time. I only invaded about 15 times today before betraying it to get the cartwheel ring, but they were a lot of fun. It was especially good when I’d join just as someone else had invaded and gotten themselves in trouble, suddenly shifting the flow of battle (or vice versa), especially with people that had carefully paired themselves with a friendly phantom.

The worst surprise was realizing a red phantom was coming after me and had no interest in taking on the host, who just stood there and watched like some creepy voyeur. Good times, and I definitely plan to do a lot more of that next game.