The Real Problem with Assassin's Creed

Hey Charles how come Assassin’s Creed isn’t set in the present day and you don’t use guns? How come there are no dialog trees? How come you can’t learn magic powers? How come there are no boss fights against demons? How come there isn’t a puzzle minigame? How come you can’t fly a helicopter?

The way blending works really stretches believability sometimes.

This.

I don’t think the flags were wrong in concept. I just think they were sort of throw in there without proper mechanics.

The better way to do them would have been like the agility orbs in Crackdown. The audible sound they make helps you zero in on their location (and more importantly for AC, know when there are no flags nearby). Collecting the flags has no immediate, visible pay-off in game. You should get something, or some neat visual thing should happen, every time you collect ten or so and every time you complete a set.

The flag collecting was frustrating with little payoff, and it’s brutally hard to track down the last few flags because there’s no clear indication of what you have collected and what you have left.

I wouldn’t mind similar collecting-stuff business in the next one, just make it easier to complete and make the in-game payoffs frequent and obvious.

Totally agree. I enjoyed the hunt, but it was painful to realize that each one I found just decreased the overall possibility of finding the next one.

It would be nice if each one was a tasty bite of yummy candy, and not just a hunt for the wrappers.

Did Charles work on this game or something?

Charles is Jade Raymond.

No, not really, he just works at UBI.

Oh.

Why is he defending the game so much in this thread?

Because he did work on the game.

Wow, that whole sequence of posts really exercised my brain to fully understand just what was going on.

It happens in all media… Rafaella Di Laurentis made a crappy dragon movie too. I haven’t played AC but I was sooooo pissed that Dragonheart was such a chick flick, so I guess I understand where the original commenter meant, a little bit anyway tho I wouldnt have said it with such malice…

Look on the bright side, it totally confused worm and he stopped posting.

Yeah, that must be it. I dugg the article earlier, so I’m kind of more wiped out than from normally posting on the Internet.