The Russia is getting more evil thread

Russia now faces the choice of aiding their ally per the charter, or pretending this got sent to their spam folder.

They can and it may happen, its not like anyone predicted the invasion in the first place. This has been a shitshow so bad nothing is off the table here…

I’m seriously concerned for the future.

You also have to feed them. An Army something something on its stomach.

I’ve rendered some hors du combat in my time.

And it doesn’t sound like they really have much of anyone left to train them, either.

Russia can send them tons of raw recruits, and have Armenia train them…

Would Russia have to formally declare war to start a general mobilization? Maybe it wouldn’t make a difference, but I feel that the polite fiction of a “special military operation” would stretch past the point of tearing if they commit to total war without declaring one.

Yeah, they can’t equip and supply their current forces. There’s no way they’re going to be able to pull 2 million workers away from their farms and factories to shove them into Ukraine and keep them supplied. Not to mention those 2 million are going to have a thing or two to say about being thrown into the teeth of the Ukrainian defense without sufficient supplies or weapons.

Do you mean in general or this thread? Because the US was saying the invasion was going to happen since December IIRC, although I understand why our European friends and Ukraine were skeptical of US intelligence.

Just more of our right wing slant at this forum.

Which is why you don’t give them weapons in advance, that way you don’t have angry armed men in Russian cities!

Yep, the only weapons they get are the ones they pick up from their dead comrades at the front.

This has not worked out too badly for the Russians in the past.

Yeah, I’m pretty much here. As long as Ukraine doesn’t actually invade Russia, there isn’t going to be the kind of popular support you need for a general mobilization.

Yep. And even if they did, Russia’s problem during this war hasn’t been a lack of manpower. It’s been an inability to use that manpower effectively. Which makes it most likely that adding millions of bodies to the problem just makes the problem way way worse.

Well for some values of “not too badly” anyway:

And of course it’s mostly an urban legend kind of thing.

Yeah, they’ve been unable to orchestrate the logistics necessary to fight a battle a few hundred miles from Moscow.

Their logistics chain is a total joke, which essentially means that their military is a joke.

Plus, we’ve been training Ukrainian forces since 2014, and they have clearly internalized the lessons. The Ukrainians are not only fighting with Western weapons, but they are fighting with American/Western tactics.

I remember talking to a dude who ran training exercises with the west and east German forces after the unification, and how at one point a West German guy just flat out told him that it was almost impossible for them to handle, because “we never know what you are going to do” where the flip side was absolutely not true… They knew exactly what the Soviet/East German guys were going to do.

The flexibility built into the US military structure and mindset is just an immense advantage.

th62e