The sequel to Groundhog Day sure as heckfire is a VR game

Title The sequel to Groundhog Day sure as heckfire is a VR game
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When August 19, 2019

If you’re a fan of the 1993 Groundhog Day movie starring Bill Murray as a weatherman caught in a time loop, you’ve probably always wondered what shenanigans his son would go through in an official sequel…

Read the full article

I’ll file this under “Stranger than fiction”.

I always figured the sequel to Groundhog Day would be Groundhog Day.

I’d play this if, instead of Phil Connors, it had Phil Silvers.

You know what would be awesome? If they built this entire game, and you play through the first day, and you fall asleep, and you wake up, and it’s the next day. The whole thing is a fakeout!

Heck, I think games should be less about being entertainment and more about being incongruous experiences that leave befuddled purchasers shaking their heads! That’s a business model I could support!

Yeah, you wake up on day 2 and wander around alone. Then you find a Kalashnikov and a backpack in the kitchen. And suddenly the deep disembodied voice of God speaks thusly: “The groundhogs are closing in! Get inside the circle!”

And it’s on, Phil Jr. It’s on.

The game should just be you watching Groundhog Day in a VR theater, which just keeps playing on infinite repeat.

… and at the end, as you’re the last Punxatawnian left, kneeling rapturously in a sea of blood and viscera, instead of a chicken dinner, you eat the groundhog. Raw.

So this isn’t a Silent Hill game?