The serious business of making games

Perfect World Entertainment becomes Gearbox Publishing.

Despite the name change, our organization, employees, products, and passion remain - just with a new makeover. We’ll continue releasing content for our service titles like Neverwinter, Star Trek Online, and Have a Nice Death as we always have. Our previous releases, including games like Remnant: From the Ashes and the Torchlight trilogy, will remain under our umbrella, with more amazing new games to come!

What does this mean for Perfect World Entertainment games?
All of our games will continue to be published by the same group of enthusiastic gamers. Though the company name is changing, our titles, development plans, and passion for our work will remain.

Pretty massive news!

And who are these Embracer Group folks? Are they game types or holding company types?

In my fuzzy thinking Embracer’s the holding company that THQ Nordic made for acquisitions.

So Aspyr, the makers of Mac ports of 5 year old games, was worth more than several famous franchises like Tomb Raider?

It’s definitely a hefty sum in the case of Aspyr, but I’d guess the main point of that acquisition was the their retail logistics - I remember Aspyr being the partner for physical distribution of games for a number of publishers. Just like Kochmedia (also part of Embracer now) is in Europe for companies like Square Enix.

Aspyr was actually acquired for $100M, with another $350M contingent on hitting certain earnings benchmarks.

That’s a steal. You mean when Sony was looking for an answer to Microsoft’s Activision purchase or when Microsoft was rummaging through the couch cushions they couldn’t find the money to make this happen? Feels like the perfect catalog depth for Game Pass.

Hopefully this isn’t a bad sign for SE.

SE gave some strategy for this selloff in their press release.

The Transaction will assist the Company in adapting to the changes underway in the global
business environment by establishing a more efficient allocation of resources, which will enhance
corporate value by accelerating growth in the Company’s core businesses in the digital
entertainment domain. In addition, the Transaction enables the launch of new businesses by
moving forward with investments in fields including blockchain, AI, and the cloud. The move is
based on the policy of business structure optimization that the Company set forth under the
medium-term business strategy unveiled on May 13, 2021.

The Transaction will also provide an opportunity to better align our overseas publishing function
with our organization in Tokyo, revisit the current governance structure and associated reporting
lines, and advance integrated group management with the goal of maximizing the worldwide
revenue generated from future titles launched by the group’s studios in Japan and abroad.

Going forward, the Company’s development function will comprise its studios in Japan, Square Enix
External Studios, and Square Enix Collective. The Company’s overseas studios will continue to
publish franchises such as JUST CAUSE, OUTRIDERS, and Life is Strange.

Also, there’s some scuttlebutt that WB/Discovery is shopping their game dev studios around because the new bosses don’t see videogames as being in their wheelhouse.

I’ve been hearing the same rumors. Crazy to me that you’d be leading a major entertainment company and not feel comfortable with games as part of your business.

Ah, so it is a bad sign for SE!

I mean, it is the same old situation.

Why make them yourself when the licenses are the profitable part? You can get other studios to make your games for you, you just get cash off of the IP.

I mean, that is basically what Disney did as well.

I never got the sense that Square was any better or more comfortable managing American or Canadian studios than is Namco, Capcom, or Nintendo.

(Nintendo may have turned a corner in recent years, granted.)

Huh, the only parts of Square Enix I give a damn about. Well, if it means there’s a chance for more Deus Ex I’m all for it.

These are some premium quality business words. Whoever wrote this is so good at business.

Eh, there’s nothing in there about right-sizing the company to create synergies between the remaining studios for some real outside the box thinking.

They’re pretty big.

Oy vey.

The old bosses wanted out of that business as well a couple of years ago, and were trying to sell the games division for cough $4 billion.