The serious business of making games

Couldn’t find the Project Cars 1 or 2 threads, so this goes here.

Funny how PC2 expires before than PC1

I still haven’t made a thread given the rumor status

I wonder if EA will be more evil or less evil after the acquisition.

Well, with EA Prime you get free shipping on your digital downloads!

I suspect this will be the consequence.

Activision and EA both getting bought out would have seemed unthinkable not too long ago.

New addendum to the USA Today article:

Update: According to Bloomberg Terminal, Amazon is not expected to make a bid for EA, citing CNBC sources.

That being said, it sure seems like there’s a lot of EA sale smoke out there. Someone’s on the verge of buying them, it seems.

It’d be funny if somehow Wingefors conjured however tens of billions needed and Embraced EA.

If Amazon suddenly ducks out, does that pave the way for Apple or Disney?

Disney has tried having internal game development multiple times and it’s never worked out for them. Of course times change and they could decide to go for it again, but I think it’s unlikely.

And Apple doesn’t care about games at all. Similarly maybe they could have decided that they want to spend $45 billion to have great games for their impending AR device, but probably not.

Lastly, there’s no particular reason for either company to decide that now is the right time to buy EA. The stock isn’t a bargain - it’s been hovering around the same peak for nearly five years. Amazon I can see though, because their gaming efforts are still nascent and perhaps they decided to kick things up several notches.

Per that USA Today article.

After the success of The Witcher and Arcane on Netflix — both shows built around big video games — Amazon could potentially use EA’s franchises as settings for new shows. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dead Space — there’s plenty of potential in EA’s library for transmedia opportunities.

Yeah, that is why you spend billions on buying a games company, so you can spend millions on a TV show.

If anyone is buying EA it is for Madden, EA Sports, Battlefield and Apex Legends. Because fuck EA forgot they made Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Dead Space.

Why pay millions for licensing when you can spend billions buying the company?

While the cost is true, it’s the same shit that Netflix has gone thru, you spend money on your Daredevil show, it’s awesome, people love it, and all you’re doing is building up a character for Disney to pull out for it’s own streaming platform.

Doesn’t mean buying EA makes sense, I’d have thought anyone buying EA would be a no go, since they make so much money, but who knows…

orson

Eh, I dunno. When Daredevil on Netflix came out, they were still in their crucial subscriber build-up phase and those Marvel shows were a big component of the marketing draw at the time. Daredevil and Jessica Jones was all over social media and the shows did a lot to entice people to the service. I’d say despite the licensing going back to Disney+, Netflix got their money’s worth from the project.

But yeah, Amazon buying EA solely to make shows based on the IPs makes zero sense. You don’t spend that kind of money on a catalog of janky sci-fi show licenses when moneymakers like Madden and FIFA are part of the deal.

Still, I’d love to see the reactions to EA getting bought.

Man, seeing some of the best times I’ve had in gaming distilled down to a pithy sentence is a little depressing.

Look, I loved Mass Effect, but turning it into a show is probably gonna result in some major jank unless the licensee spends Rings of Power type money on it.

That’s right, look at how it almost feels like the Uncharted games are more cinematic and better cast/acted than the actual Uncharted film.

Really enjoying Jason Schreier’s reaction to the rumors / news this morning!

Hahaha. This guy.