The serious business of making games

Do I want to read this?

Shouldn’t this be in the games journalism thread instead?

Edit: Oops I missed it’s focus on industry members. My bad.

This is a nice story.

Refugees in the business of making games… politics! Or you know, just a glimpse at life for some people.

I read this article a few days ago. He’s a remarkable guy, traveling that distance just to charge the laptop, learning himself and all because his mom spent two years to even save up for a cheap laptop. I hope they do very well.

That’s a lovely story, look forward to checking out his game.

Seems like this extremely detailed Reddit AMA by Arcen Games is relevant to this thread:

Things of interest to this thread: insights into the Steam indie game market changes over the years. Lots of specific revenue numbers on games. Talk about this a development model involving volunteers that’s very reminiscent of the Chucklefish drama, except Park appears to have been a lot more thoughtful about it.

(Thanks to @lordkosc for posting this in the AI War 2 thread).

I am the best at posting things relevant to multiple threads! ;)

Hum.

I do not seek to financially harm game projects currently published by Dangen Entertainment.

Huh? But… Okay!

I tried reading the post for a couple of minutes. I don’t know if it is the formatting of that website or purely the writing, but I couldn’t make out enough to reach any conclusion on veracity of the accusation. That anonymous poster needs an editor.

Gulp.

Damn. The post is gone now. Apparently I waited too long to read it:

It was like pages and pages and pages of intertwining, convoluted Tweets and chat captures bookended by a couple sentences of article here and there. I couldn’t make heads or tails of it other than to see the article started off defensively with a bunch of disclaimers before flagrantly hurling accusations left and right.

It was a great read if you’re into schadenfreude.

Thanks. Sounds like the post you just made saved me a ton of time. 42 minutes according to @JD’s link estimate.

I skimmed it and I think it was only relevant if you were in a position to consider working with them (i.e. indie game looking for a publisher (in Japan?)).

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-12-04-ea-pulls-marco-van-basten-from-fifa-20-after-he-used-nazi-term-sieg-heil-live-on-air

I was a fan of Van Basten when I first started following football in 1990. If it had been any other time, I’d have said “awww, he apologized, he was probably only joking when he said Sieg Heil”. But with right wing nationalism rising around the world, it seems a really bad time for such “jokes” if that’s what it was.

Good on EA.

Regarding the Dangen Entertainment drama, Ben Judd’s stepping down as CEO.

Didn’t they pull the article that had all the allegations, which was horrifically long, confusing and not a way to present problems?

Announcement regarding partnership with Tencent

We would like to announce we have received a capital investment from Tencent Holdings Limited as a basis for partnership. This partnership has no effect on the independence of our company, and we will continue operations under our current corporate structure.

We hope to use this capital to strengthen our foundation as a business and expand from game development into exploring self-publishing. We also hope that this partnership can give us a wider global perspective, while still creating high quality games that stay true to our name.

Thank you as always for your continued support. Please look forward to what we have in store.

January 7, 2020