The serious business of making games

That’s the right answer. Do your best to make sure your base comp is to your satisfaction. Bonuses are a bonus, don’t count on them until they are deposited in your account.

I imagine its like movies and the mythic back end profit sharing deals, where creative accounting proves that all movies are officially “flops”.

Exactly. A bonus is something added to your regular pay. If you are counting on the bonus as part of your regular pay, it ain’t a bonus, pardner.

There’s definitely some of that going on. Generally the detailed terms of the profit sharing aren’t shared with employees, making it really easy to change it on the fly.

It always struck me as wrong that military vehicles paid for by taxpayer dollars were copyrighted.

Dear AMG, Screw You

Fun and interesting retrospective on early video game marketing.

That is a fun article… butt hey said The Dig is one of the weaker LucasArts games?!? HOW DARE THEY!

I have no idea whether they actually believe that or not but in practice that’s not quite how it works.

Well, sounds like the business practice we’ve been seeing everywhere: game as service. There’s a reason the single player games of GTA5 & RDR2 haven’t seen any expansions and the online versions are thriving… Up to now they have still given is a great single player game and then expanded on that with the online portion, but this could imply that Rockstar might not bother with a big single player portion anymore and go straight to the iterative online games in future.

Oh, it makes financial business sense (for better or worse). I was reacting to the suggestion that it would “mitigate stress and crunch”. It will almost certainly not do that.

Agree. That’s more a function of proper project management and expectations management than project size.

NYT piece penned by Jason Schreier.

Who could’ve guessed people would be at home buying games? heh.

Winnie the Pooh avatar pic I bet.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-16/ubisoft-sues-apple-google-over-alibaba-s-rainbow-six-ripoff

I work here, but I think Shams & Daniel do a great job, this weeks in particular is one I think anyone in the business may enjoy and nod along to some of the anecdotes :)

Zynga has bought Peak Games for $1.8bn. Apparently they’re a Turkish mobile developer.

My favorite LucasArts game, and coincidentally, also my favorite game novelization!