The serious business of making games

I always assume it’s a death warrant despite hoping otherwise. It’s like the touch of a Lich for all the beloved companies I’ve watched go in there, them and their franchises.

Tiburon Entertainment seems to be the obvious answer here. They got turned into EA Tiburon, and have been making successful Madden games since. And the new next-gen Madden has been getting some very favorable previews because of what they’re doing with cloud data from AWS analysis of the NFL and integrating that into the game.

Whew!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-18/cyberpunk-game-maker-faces-hostile-staff-after-failed-launch

One employee asked the board why it had said in January that the game was “complete and playable” when that wasn’t true, to which the board answered that it would take responsibility. Another developer asked whether CD Projekt’s directors felt it was hypocritical to make a game about corporate exploitation while expecting that their employees work overtime. The response was vague and noncommital.

Several current and former staff who worked on Cyberpunk 2077 have all said the same thing: The game’s deadlines, set by the board of directors, were always unrealistic. It was clear to many of the developers that they needed more time.

It is kind of astonishing. Witcher 3 seems like a product created by a team that knew how to handle a project of that scope. Anyone know if there were major departures between projects? Or are the features of a cyberpunk RPG just far more complex than a fantasy one?

It’s a shooting game that’s an RPG, right? Seems like that would require new systems and design. Regardless, they had ten years. There really are no excuses at this point.

Oh, did they start it before Witcher 3 released? Well, there you go. The creative leaders are probably different people.

In video games, there are always plenty of excuses. Some of them are even valid!

https://twitter.com/ZenOfDesign/status/1339724021802430464

Damn.

:P

That is a parody account.

I know, I enjoyed the context.

Alternate theory: it’s driven by experiencing a negative history of interactions with EA over a long period of time. It’s not like I haven’t been a customer of theirs many, many times.

This is true, they had to extensively rewrite their engine and tools to support city environment on the scale of Night City, plus all the new systems…driving, hacking, stealth, shooting…it is a completely different thing than Witcher 3.

This is however inaccurate. From what CDP said, while they did some preproduction on C77 before TW3 shipped, its team was assigned to Witcher 3. After TW3 shipped the game directors changed (Adam Badowski instead of Mateusz Kanik) and C77 went into new preproduction after TW3. Full production started with Blood and Wine shipping (may 2016).

The fuck-up stems from CDP management not being honest with themselves and delaying it longer. Right in january when they announced first delay, they should have delayed extra year until april 2021. And if the lastgen version would be still unacceptable, cancelling them. Of course, everyone’s a general after the battle :)

Well, but that’s more for creative, well made games. In Codemasters case, they are already annual franchises with dlc. So it isn’t like EA is going to change a lot.

CDP employee turnover has always been high, lots of people who did TW2 weren’t around when TW3 was finished. And TW3 was famous because the amount of crunch and two delays.

It’s not as if these games released with a few bugs… on any platform. Sounds unplayable on the older gens, so even team mascots could call that one.

Yes, I did say they should have been honest with themselves and delayed it further. It was nonsense to release the game on lastgen the way it is.

Yeah and it’s lastgen that can leave a longlasting if not permanent stain on this company. If the game is interesting enough, has enough there for people to want to engage with it, a large group will just weather the storm, deal with the bugs, and down the road it will be a story about a bad launch that led to a good if not great game.

That lastgen thing… I’m wondering if they can even fix it at all. They can’t undo shipping, so to speak, in that state, but if it’s just not possible to fix it on those machines… that whole mess is going to haunt them longer than bugs they eventually fix on the other ones which is too bad because despite some questions I have about their source material, they’re creating in an area that does provide some nice choice and variety with significant money behind it.

GamesIndustry.biz’s 2020 in Numbers

Interesting stat sheet.

This part is surprising to me, PewDiePie is not in the top 10 anymore? That’s got to be a good thing, right? Never heard of any other influencers besides him of course.

Yeah, that one jumped out at me. I’ve never hear of any of them, but that’s fairly unsurprising as I’ve pretty mech never watched an ‘influencer’ video of any kind I my life. But the top dude has almost 2 billion views? WTF.