The 'show why science is awesome' thread:

I love the comment at the bottom:

13 pages, 10 figures. Before you charter a boat, please look up the collected works of HP Lovecraft

‘DNA project aims to count Scots redheads’:

‘Only about 1-2% of the world’s population has red hair, but in Scotland the figure is much higher at around 13% or about 650,000 people.’

Go science! (my one-thirds ginger beard salutes you scottish gene thing!)

I should probably post this in a more relevant thread, but love this thread, so it’s going here as a little way of saying thanks.

The Coffee Ring Effect.

Also, I need that music.

-xtien

I was expecting advice on how to avoid water spots when I wash my car. :(

That’s a truly awesome video, thanks!

Fascinating.

‘Invisibility cloaking in ‘perfect’ demonstration’:

‘Popular physics theory running out of hiding places’:

I loved the idea of supersymmetry, but this does make it seem harder to be the answer we are looking for?

The most recent episode of Neil Tyson’s Star Talk Radio podcast goes a bit into supersymmetry, but also the notion of dead ends in physics. The scientists at the LHC are quite happy for experiments to not deliver what they expected or even to result in null findings. It means there’s more to learn!

And in the area of medical science, this surprised me.

Vegetative Ontario man Scott Routley ‘talks’ to researchers through brain scans

That is awesome and crazy.

On the forensic science front, I thought this was pretty cool:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/13/science/isotope-analysis-provides-clues-in-a-florida-cold-case.html

Dude made a Turing machine from Legos:

All awesome indeed, thanks for sharing :)

Does this count as science?

This is cool, 3D star map you can drag and zoom.

Link fixed.

That last link didn’t want to open for me MrGrumpy - straight to an error loading page message?

‘Rogue planet’ spotted 100 light-years away’:

You can get to it from here:
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2012/11/100000-stars-an-interactive-exploration-of-the-milky-way-galaxy/

You can’t use IE. I suggest using Chrome.

ok cool, thanks Clay, and both links for that work now (so it could have just been a glitch first time around?). Looks sweet.

And this link could be why science is sometimes not so awesome, as it can lead to non-scientific ‘weirdness’:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/brian-cox-steps-in-to-dispel-myths-about--rogue--planet-and-mayan-apocalypse.html

‘Growing concerns over ‘in the air’ transmission of Ebola’:

"Canadian scientists have shown that the deadliest form of the ebola virus could be transmitted by air between species.

In experiments, they demonstrated that the virus was transmitted from pigs to monkeys without any direct contact between them.

The researchers say they believe that limited airborne transmission might be contributing to the spread of the disease in some parts of Africa.

They are concerned that pigs might be a natural host for the lethal infection."

Decidedly NOT awesome!