The 'show why science is awesome' thread:

They’re trying to revive them, not take them on an acid trip.

Is this as promising as it sounds? Could be incredible if it’s affordable.

Holy crap! I so badly long for the day when we can all say fuck cancer and have it be done with once and for all, and this seems to tease at such a prospect.

Yea I Know. 60% of all cancers treatable/curable from this? That’s too good to be true.

Lots of things kill cancer in mice but not humans, or not safely anyway.

Countdown to: scammers using this to sell copper creams / bracelets / threaded clothing. “Science proves it cures cancer!”

This should be a positive thread though. There’s a different thread for that talk, I guess.

Actually… Copper has known anti-bacterial properties, so some hospitals have installed copper lined bed railings and door knobs to help limit bacteria transfer.

So copper “stuff” might have some use - just not against Cancer :)

Unsure if awesome or not:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/13/us/living-robot-stem-cells-intl-hnk-scli-scn/index.html?fbclid=IwAR3ASqgqPnPURPZbaTF9LNybicuQtkZUj4h6_kUzVlDYV--UfQvMUWrftIo

Named xenobots after the African clawed frog (Xenopus laevis) from which they take their stem cells, the machines are less than a millimeter (0.04 inches) wide – small enough to travel inside human bodies. They can walk and swim, survive for weeks without food, and work together in groups.

These are “entirely new life-forms,” said the University of Vermont, which conducted the research with Tufts University.

I, for one, welcome our self-healing living robot overlord!

(please don’t eat me!)

Their highest points may measure over 100 times the height of Everest. And if you somehow brought them to the surface, God forbid, they contain enough material to cover the entire globe in a lava lake roughly 100 kilometers deep.

Swimming self-healing robots on planet full of bodies of water which are deep enough and hard enough to get to we can’t even comprehend. What could possible go wrong with this idea?

This is one of those “holy shit” kind of advancements. Even at its most rudimentary implementation it could change the world.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-the-valley/consumer-electronics/portable-devices/ar-in-a-contact-lens-its-the-real-deal

Super duper eyes! Woohoooooo

Here’s an actual hands on with some better images. If I were Apple I’d be taking a very hard look at this tech. In ten years it could be ready for broad commercial application.

MOJO AR contact lens|1092x0

The Mojo Lens prototype. It’s that small.

mojovision2|1092x0

Mojo’s incredibly dense and small MicroLED under a microscope from a demo last year; what I saw wasn’t exactly like this, but it was close.

Mojo Vision

I can’t wait to wirelessly charge my eyeballs.

I was wondering why there aren’t any smart wind screens.

As in heads up displays in my car, for using the sat nav above all.

This new tech seems to solve that need (which apparently only I had!) and do much more and in a more ergonomical way.

i already wear contacts semi often, so the idea of better contacts really is great to me.

Ugh, I’m going to have to go around the classroom with a damn penlight to check every eye for these in a few years aren’t I? Don’t even ask me what I’m going to do when people start just getting this shit implanted.

Meanwhile I keep my smartphone off and in a desk drawer most of the time, am I really the only one that things this perpetual connectivity crap is a dystopian nightmare?

Every classroom needs a faraday cage.