The Social Network

Movie about Facebook.

not interested

From David Fincher.

[I]slightly interested

[/I]With soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

holy shit, gotta see and hear this

Could not be less interested. I don’t know how much of a Nine Inch Nails fan you have to be to get interested in a movie about Facebook, but I fall far, far short of that mark.

Written by Aaron Sorkin, so I’m back to being interested. Also, it’s a movie about the founding of Facebook, which makes a little bit more sense.

I like 90% of what Reznor composed, I LOVE Atticus Ross’ Book of Eli OST (best thing about the movie for me) and when Reznor writes “Speaking of the film… it’s really fucking good. And dark!” it does make it sound interesting.

How dark could a movie about Facebook be?

“We’re going to make the privacy options REALLY DIFFICULT to figure out… and then we’re going to CHANGE THEM RANDOMLY.”

Duh duh DUUUUUUHHHHHHM!

If it were a movie about myspace it could feature, at the very least, teen suicides, pedophiles, and insane manipulative soccer moms.

Major talent involved at all levels. I’m extremely interested in this. I loved “Pirates of Silicon Valley” and I’m hoping this is something along similar lines but with an A-list director and the full weight of Hollywood production values.

My only problem is I’m becoming less enamored of Sorkin as the years go on. He’s smart, but so damn glib.

There’s a certain amount of accusations of backstabbing and betrayal involved in the FB creation myth. Amp that up for effect, especially with the amount of money involved, and I could see it working. Plus it’s set at Harvard, so the atmosphere I’m envisioning in my head is along the lines of what The Skulls wanted to be.

I don’t know, I’d be more interested in some conceptual David Lynch-esque descent into the consciousness of social networking than a boring biopic. With Fincher’s stylistic and technical chops, it could Fight Club 2.0.

I think the director and OST composer have made me more interested in the film than I was before, but only a little bit.

Reznor is a good choice. Everything I despise about his stuff is perfect for a movie about Facebook.

They could make it like this.

I have read the script. It is pretty amazing, IMO. I’m definitely interested.

I like Fincher and Sorkin.

The only reason I have bad feelings towards it is because I am so sick of hearing about Facebook on every damn tech news site. I’ll just have to pretend this movie is about some other company.

Agreed, although his voice was a bit less preachy in Charlie Wilson’s War. But yeah, that Studio 60 show was painful.

I think that Stuido 60 was a triumph of craft over solid storytelling.

So much genius in that first episode on a technical level, but it didn’t make it worth watching.

The original book it’s based on is by Ben Mezrich, who is kind of a douchebag with a douchebag fetish. All his books are tawdry exposes that are at once appalled by and smitten with their youthful, brilliant, decadent subjects (oil tycoons in Dubai, teen MIT gamblers). They are, however, entertaining, partly due to that attraction-repulsion dynamic.

So I can totally see why Fincher wanted into this – anytime a teenager makes billions before turning 25, there is definitely going to be some kind of story there that’s already so over the top that Fincher can do whatever the fuck he wants with it.

Oh yes, since some people seem unaware of this: this isn’t the story of Facebook, it’s the story of Facebook’s founder. Big difference.

Edit: Wow, nice scathing review of the book on the Amazon page. I read his Dubai/oil book and was, as I said, entertained. But I haven’t gotten any of his other books, because I wasn’t quite entertained enough. I do suspect that Fincher will be more entertaining with this material than Mezrich was able to be.

New trailer up, with some dialogue.

This looks like it could be a really solid movie given the credits and topic. My fear is that they try to overplay the drama to such a forced level that it undermines everything.

After all, it’s just Facebook. Not sure it would deserve The Insider treatment.

Never trust a book with multiple colons in its title, I always say.