The Stanley Parable

I watched the YouTube. Cool idea and I like the narrator idea … the level design, however. Fugly.

The author says on his page that he’s getting it redone by people with level design skills.

Not sure that’s worth his time, it wasn’t really about the level design.

Well, that, and the fact that a game with meta-commentary about designer control versus player control, but with interesting, professional level design already exists. And has a sequel. And gives you super-powers and big guys in diving helmets moaning whale song and makes you kill them.

Kudos to the guy for trying something new, and the quality of the voice actor is way beyond what you’d expect from a free mod, but… I wish more people understood that there is a place for subtlety in video games, and you don’t have to bludgeon the player with the point you’re trying to make.

Sometimes, yes, yes you do. And it still doesn’t work.

I thought Bioshock undermined it’s entire premise by continuing through a linear path.

I dug this game a lot and while it may be artsy-fartsy I welcome more deconstructions and explorations of what games are.

I wouldn’t say Bioshock undermined that presence just because it took a moment to beat you over the head with it.

It’s sort of entertaining playing with a narrator. A couple of other games have tried something like this, either using the narration as a flashback mechanic, a play-by-play announcer, or through developer commentary. It’d be like doing your very own Let’s Play adventure supported out of the box… or download, er, whatever.

It did, although the reveal was good enough for me to give it a pass. Never expected to see something like that in a game of that scale. And I still think that the whole sequence with the Big Daddy training ground was a master stroke; I just wish it hadn’t been preceded by so much time undermining its own premise.

There’s always going to be somebody who doesn’t get it, though. The question is whether you drain all the subtlety out of your message for their sake, or just make something that they can still enjoy even if they don’t appreciate everything you’re trying to do.

I still like the quote Joel Hodgson made about MST3K, paraphrased: “Whenever anyone would ask, ‘will people get this?’ we said, ‘the right people will get this.’”

(And yeah, I know I’m taking the whole thing too seriously, but it’s a topic that’s been on my mind a lot recently).

After Dear Esther, Stanley Parable is the next one to make the jump to the pro arena

Whew! Good thing I played the free version already. I got duped by Dear Esther so it’s nice that I won’t get taken by the commercial version of this.

Although, to be fair, I enjoyed this more than Dear Esther.

“A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.”

New trailer

edit: well, not a normal trailer. Lol

Pretty good :)

Much like the game itself, it’s not clear what the writer is actually trying to say, but it’s vaguely mean-spirited and insulting anyway.

HD standalone version demo out now.

Full game out on the 17th.

Great trailer.

The demo is amazing. It is a must play even if you already know what the game is about. It is all custom demo-only content.

Yeah, I was going to mention that. The free demo is all unique content and is very meta. It’s totally in the spirit of the Stanley Parable. If you’re going to buy the full game, play the demo anyway.

What wonderful voice talent! Game looks interesting as well - sure buy for me!