The Stanley Parable

I got the game on Steam today and played it for nearly an hour and a half. I loved it!

Without any spoilers, it’s a game that constantly surprises you, makes you smile, and comes up with the weirdest concepts. Even better, once I thought I had seen it all, I realised replaying that I hadn’t. There were some things I had missed and some things which had actually changed. I’m going to explore it some more.

The best part has got to be the narrator though. Such great voice acting. And such a strange / whimsical / angry / happy / confused, presence…

This is an easy thumbs up from me.

Wendelius

So It was playing this, and was progressively more bored. Curious and had some weird type of fun, but bored. And then, I decided to go to my bad, and relax, with the eyes closed. Stay this way in the bead hearing the narrator. And while I was doing that, the character in the game started sleeping at the same time as me.

1. This game is so boring, It made me sleep while playing it.
  2. Its interesting in a pandimensional type of way.

I had fun with the original. And the demo. But not with the released game.

Thoroughly enjoyed my time with it last night and plan to dabble a bit more tonight to clean up a bit of the material that I know I’ve missed. There are all kinds of little details and touches in this that are extremely easy to miss if you’re not paying attention, and I found myself all too willing to dance to the game’s tune in the interest of extracting every piece of dialogue from the narrator humanly possible. This version almost (but not quite) makes the original mod obsolete, but I highly recommend playing the demo before playing the game as there are a couple of fun references to it in the full game. Don’t be afraid to explore a bit or to try breaking the game, either. That’s where half the fun is.

I got to several endings last night and had a good time. One of them was pretty crazy, and I’m not sure if I could have finished it a different way.

Time pressure

Is it possible to stop the bomb when in the room full of buttons and giant countdown?

Time pressure

I don’t believe so. I’m quite sure the game is just messing with you by giving you all those options. Didn’t stop me from trying a few times, but none of the clues make sense and the reactions of all the various computers to a variety of button presses seem totally random.

There are achievements. They are amazing.

How were 3.8% of players able to get the Go Outside achievement already?

I’m guessing local-clock manipulation.

After “finishing” the “game” twice, rrmorton felt that the Stanley Parable was a nicely done, witty, and possibly even thought-provoking experiment in game/narrative. He also considered me the best narrator since Bastion.

But why did he use the word “me”? How could I, a voice from a game he was hearing in his mind, type words in a box on a forum on the internet without him so choosing? He’d gone mad!

Using the wonders of Steam Family Sharing, my wife has been playing my copy of The Stanley Parable nearly non stop since yesterday. I thought I had found most of the things to see, but boy was I wrong.

The amount of stuff that can happen to you in this games and the number of ways you can “break” it (not really. the game is aware of what you are doing and responds accordingly) is quite mind blowing.

Some endings without specific descriptions

She has found the escape pod ending. She has gone to space with the narrator. She has found a whiteboard ending. And I don’t know what else. Every time I look, a detail has changed triggering a new event. Fun!

Wendelius

Trying to avoid spoilers-- at one point the narrator creates a different game and asks you to playtest it for 4 hours. Most people don’t last that long. This guy did.

That is so awesome. Also, I was thinking I had seen the majority of endings. Now I realize there’s tons more to see.

This is why I’m thankful for Youtube. There’s no way I was ever going to do that.

There are at least 4 endings I personally missed before looking them up, and honestly I don’t see how anyone would ever find them on their own.

I played the demo and have two complaints. First is I’m using a gamepad and couldn’t find a way to invert Y axis.there’s an option for the mouse but not for a gamepad. Very annoying. The second issue was that in the storage room where I’m supposed to drop a cup somewhere, I dropped it behind some frame by mistake, and couldn’t pick it up again so was stuck.

I am opening the console and using cl_fov 10 and cl_fov 90 to zoom at things, and read the funny small text of things. I tried to cheat using sv_cheat, but if you do something 111CENSORED111 happends.

Yes, that is actually one of the valid endings!

Try doing it more than once.

My brother told me he got to play Minecraft and Portal inside the game. I have yet to see this, but that’s just great.

It’s doing well
http://www.stanleyparable.com/2013/10/a-postmortem-on-the-launch-of-the-stanley-parable/

I have not seen the portal part. but the minecraft is perfectly recreated