The Steam Controller - Valve's answer to the Xbox controller on PC

Oh yea, I also got a Steam Link & Steam Controller set up earlier this week. It took me a couple days to get up and running because I had to replace a four-year-old Wifi adapter on my PC in order to keep the stream from crashing my router after ten seconds (something that hasn’t happened with other streaming I’ve done from that PC), but once I did that the streaming has worked much better.

As for the controller, I’ve tried it with several games. It is in no way a replacement for a wired Xbox 360 controller when one is supported by a game (I have one plugged into the Steam Link), but the Steam Controller does succeed where the 360 controller fails in Mouse/KB Games, if awkwardly.

As mentioned above me, the Steam Controller is terrible for Twin Stick Shooters. Two of my favorite Twin Stick shooters are Crimsonland and Beat Hazard, but I had the same problems as AntediluvianArk above me, in that the experience was just miserable.

Then I moved on to Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition, and while the experience was much better, it paled in comparison to just using a standard 360 controller. Maybe the 360 controller has the added benefit of being a device I’ve been comfortable using for years, but that right thumb-stick just makes such a big difference, and the 360 triggers and shoulder buttons are much superior. Playing this game on my TV is one of the reasons I picked up the Steam Link in the first place (I’ve owned it on Steam since it went live, and completed the basic edition a year before the EE came out, and haven’t wanted to repurchase the game on a console), so I’ve been real eager to get this running, and while the Steam Link runs it flawlessly, I’ll be playing it with the 360 controller from here on out.

The thing is, I tried a ton of games with the Steam controller, and it would take too long to discuss every one, especially since most of those all share the same story: If the game actually supports controllers, the Steam Controller will offer an inferior experience across the board compared to an Xbox controller. I own hundreds of Steam games and have dozens installed, but haven’t found many I’d call an outright success just yet.

The biggest success so far is Faeria. Faeria is a turn-based card game with tactical strategy elements. Managing units on the small battlefield is a little slower than simply using a kb/mouse on PC, but not punishingly so. Getting used to the controller is a little awkward at first, but I’m getting a better feel for it hour by hour. I also tried Hearthstone (by launching from Steam), but that game requires more precise and longer movements of its cards and such, so I won’t be doing that again, but Faeria works great where Hearthstone falls apart here.

Talisman: Digital Edition (more or less a 1:1 board game conversion) works fine, because much like Fearia you’re only managing units on a small map/playfield, and its a very simple affair with very few (in this case, one) units to micro-manage.

Gratuitous Space Battles also works okay, but it seems overly micro-heavy while I’m still getting used to the controls. It felt as if it took too many thumb-motions and button presses to get a whole lot done, so because I’m not very comfortable with the controller just yet, it left most of the experience feeling a bit like a chore. Maybe once I’m a pro with this controller such things will feel second nature, but right now it feels like I have to pay too much attention to what I’m doing for simple precise tasks. But you’re never under any sort of timer here, so you’ve got all the time in the world to build and deploy your fleets.

Overall I think the Steam Link is a success. I dislike the Steam Controller because it is outclassed in games that offer native controller support. And because mouse/kb games aren’t designed with it in mind, most of them require too many gestures and button presses to get simple things done and the actions don’t translate comfortably, but this is something that might feel better after I’ve put in my time with the controller. It took me years of awkward struggle to get as comfortable with the Xbox Classic/360/One controller as I am today, so maybe the Steam Controller will begin to live up to its promise as I put more time into it. But at this juncture I’m not in love with the device.

That’s interesting, because I’ve never used my 360 or DS4 controllers since getting the Steam controller and I don’t see that changing. I don’t think I’ve played any twin stick shooters, though, unless something like Helldivers counts?

Most games designed for a standard gamepad work better with one. I like the steam controller for first and third-person shooters, as it is much faster and offers more precise aiming.

To be honest, the requirement that your PC be unlocked to stream steam games means that I generally don’t bother to do it. I just play on my desktop, with its large G-sync monitor. Sure I’m sitting up, not on my couch, but I have a very comfortable desk chair.

It’s not that interesting. The controller is just outclassed, not completely unusable in most situations. But I’m all about ease of use, and like I mentioned, many of my problems could be mitigated as I spend more time with the device.

I had this issue with the login as well. Then I installed Microsoft RDP on my iPad, I use that to connect and unlock, and then I start up my Steam Link.

I have both the Steam Controller and Xbox 360 Wireless controller, as well as a Logitech Mouse/Keyboard Wireless all connected to my Steam Link. I usually use the 360 controller for games like Witcher 3, will sometimes try the steam controller, and when I really want to play a PC centric game on the couch, pull out the mouse(actually trackball)/Keyboard combo.

Any news on when this new controller is supposed to be available?

I am waiting for the update myself, so was looking around at the various news articles since the latest software update. Nothing new has been added about it or when it will be released.

This has never worked for me. When I RDP in from Android or Windows, the Steam Link still tells me the PC is locked. If I disconnect, but don’t log out, still locked. Are you using Win 7 or 10? I am on the latter and suspect that the lock screen works differently now in a way that Steam streaming doesn’t like. But I would love to know if you are using some settings which I am not to get it to work.

Remote desktop won’t work for that very reason, it’s designed to log you out after leaving.

Look into something like Splashtop, that’s what I have always used. That will keep you logged in because it uses your native login shell (instead of creating a new one for an RDP session).

Anyone still using the Steam controller, and like it? If you had one at your PC, alongside the M/K and an Xbox One controller, would you ever grab the Steam controller? It’s $30 USD for me now on Steam. They’re having a promotion, maybe if you own Doom (I do). Worth it?

It’s a neat gadget. I use it with my Steam Link, and I like the customizability and the community profiles. If you’re playing a game that was designed for a console gamepad, it stinks by comparison. This is especially bad if you’ve actually played the game before with a regular gamepad, because the layout of the controller is so different that muscle memory causes you to make stupid mistakes. If you’re playing a game that’s really meant for mouse and keyboard play, the Steam Controller is generally a much better experience than gamepad, though M&K is still superior.

It really does make couch play of games that are meant to be played at your desk a viable option.

In a few of the gamepad-centric games I’ve tried, although I found the controls frustrating and unpleasant, I was also pretty tempted to discipline myself to get good with them , because community profiles offered some interesting hacks to the UX that could be really cool if you mastered them.

All that said, if you intend to use it at your desk, and already have an xbone controller, it’s probably not worth buying. It’ll be an interesting novelty, and nothing more. If you do use it for couch gaming, it really will make more of your game library viable in that setting.

Ooh, nice, good tip. Doesn’t help if powered off, but then there is wake-on-LAN… somehow…

I still use it and like it (I use it over my DS4 controller). If I’m at my desk and have access to a keyboard and mouse I’ll tend to use KB/M, with a few exceptions (the Dark Souls series being one of them).

The customizability and added precision makes it worth it for me, but I always feel like I need to warn people before they buy one: you really need to put in some time and effort to get the controller configured the way you like, and that configuration may differ per game. I’m not talking about assigning buttons, either, I’m mostly talking about getting the trackpad to feel just right. Of course, once it’s all set up and configured there’s still the new muscle memory to learn. Don’t be surprised if you spend a couple hours experimenting with the various settings and getting things tweaked just right.

If you want to put in the time and effort to get the capabilities out of it, I think it’s a great controller. If you just want to plug in and play and not worry about things, just stick with KB/M or a gamepad.

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like it could be a decent solution for the living room (where I rarely game due to aforementioned hassles of unlocking the host PC), but probably nothing more than novelty at my gaming desk.

I use the Steam controller in the living room (on the link) when viewing the desktop as my mouse for browsing where I only have to click things (if I need to type than I switch to my wireless keyboard).

I get a lot of feedback (read: nerd rage) on my steam ‘review’ of the steam controller, but I stand by it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/poddster/recommended/353370/

I don’t use it because you have to explicitly and needlessly go into big picture mode to config it, which I find to be a massive chore, as I want to be able to tweak it whenever.

and then when you are configuring it it takes ages to tweak it. (The present and community config never seem acceptable to me)

So avoid if you’re never satisfied with thinga and dislike big picture mode.

Hmmm… We make a ton of money from in-game gun skins and hats. Why not skins for our real-life hardware?

Is this controller good for fighting games? The d-pad on the X360 controller is pretty bad.

I don’t play fighting games, but I wouldn’t think so. Especially if you need a good DPad.

If a good D-Pad is essential to you, then the Steam Controller will not deliver. The D-Pad is a circular trackpad that can be clicked in the four major directions, not a conventional D-Pad that you’d probably want for that kind of gaming. I had mixed success using the control stick to play at a low level (fighting games being my weakest genre overall) and couldn’t fathom trying it any other way short of getting a mainstream console controller.