The Strain

No, there are 2 more.

Ahhhhh, Cigarette Smoking Man’s favorite brand, Morley’s. Those things turn up in the oddest places.

Really? Because I could have sworn it said “1 more episode” during the preview for next week.

I think 2 more based on them not calling next week, the season finale. It wasn’t my favorite episode. But the dungeon crawl threw the abandon subways lines was very effective, the master really is underwhelming.

Wikipedia says 2 more episodes, to air on the 28th and October 5th.

Good call on leaving the kid to take care of the elderly woman who seems to be suffering from dementia.

If the master is really drawn to places of torment and loss, shouldn’t he be parked under the Mets stadium? Or fill in your own punchline!

He looks like a cartoon clown, something that the judges would vote off on Face-Off because the makeup didn’t fit what should be the nature of the show. Put the hoodie back up, dude.

And here’s my problem with it - this needs to be the series finale. Tell its story and get out and maybe I’ll forgive its faults. Endlessly drag it out and I’ll take that nail gun to the writers’ feet, and work my way up for every following episode. This is not a story that can really sustain itself.

@corsair, I don’t know if this is still the case, but I read somewhere that originally Guillermo del Toro had some grand plan for this show to last 5 seasons (which is bonkers).

I was sort of cheering for the mom to have been turned. That way, when the kid eventually met back up with Team Vampire Slayer, he could say “I told you leaving me in charge of an elderly woman sufferng from dimentia was a bad idea. What do you want from me?”

Silver nails, Guillermo. Silver! Thwack!

They could kill the master but the Nazi gets away and then he’s the monster for season 2. There are a lot of things he could do. I hope this season is the last we see of the master, though. That thing is ridiculous.

So only two episodes left? When are we going to see the good-guy vampires again?

I’m pretty certain that…

spoiler

I saw one of the daywalker vamps in the preview at the end of last night’s episode.

I sort of hated last night’s episode. It was a pretty big departure from the book storylines, and as such, I was mostly annoyed that the plot wasn’t advancing. The whole thing with the kid and cigarettes was to me a terrible red herring, since I don’t think anything bad is going to happen to the kid. So it’s just a ploy to throw him in some danger.

Secondly, the whole “I’m crawling through an area infested with vampires but I’m so distracted by my wife’s voice I’m just going to wander off for a bit” thing was pretty terrible. They added all the back and forth bickering to throw some tension in. I thought it was out of character for them all to be so surly towards each other.

The end shot with all the zombies was pretty cool, but aside from that, I felt like the rest of the show was just jogging in place. Nothing really developed.

As for how long the show can (should) last, it seems to me the show could easily last 3 seasons, with each season working through one volume in the trilogy. If it’s longer than that, I suspect we’ll all start feeling like they’re dragging stuff out. But who knows, the writers might have some awesome ideas up their sleeves (I’m an optimist).

I’m surprised with all these posts that no one commented on how incredibly stupid F was in the most recent episode. The voice in his head wasn’t even remotely plausible as his wife not turned into a zombie minion. Also, Jewish Van Helsing did his own first stupid thing. I thought he was supposed to be the pragmatic one? The one who understood what works and what doesn’t?

Agree that the Master continues to disappoint. Not just in appearance. He’s got a serious case of the Evil Overlord disease, monologing about what horrible things he’s going to do to the hero instead of doing them, just to give the other characters a chance to throw a UV bomb.

EDIT: OK, Charlatan noted that F was being stupid while I was typing.

Also, I really dislike the Dementia Mother. I’d be happy to see her get eaten.

At this point it’s a given that Eff is an effing idiot - didn’t want to belabor the obvious. But then, everyone is reverting to being an idiot - it just seemed like one obvious and ham-handed attempt at creating tension after another. The series has had its moments, but I feel like this is going the Under the Dumb route without it being as unintentionally funny.

F is stupid, water is wet, same difference. But yeah, I didn’t like Setrakian losing it so completely there. I get that he’s motivated and REALLY wants to take down the Master, but he’s been doing the right thing so well for so long that to let his emotions overcome him like that was out of character.

I could kind of buy that Setrakian was so grumpy because he was pissed at himself for being unable to stab at the steely heart of The Master when he had his chance (not sure what The Master was doing to him mentally there to disable him). Gods The Master looks awful, like some costume a teenage put together from old Halloween props and masks. I guess he’s supposed to look like some kind of giant evil humanoid bat or something, but he looks like an evil version of Shrek with that fat head and terrible ears.

I really like where this show is going in terms of story and premise. I just wish it used other characters to get there. Eph is annoying and predictable, it is hard to care about Nora or her mom, the hacker chick was ridiculous and I even have a hard time drumming up any empathy for the kid. Setrakian was interesting from the start, but seems played out now that his past has been revealed, and Rat Catcher is awesome, but cannot carry the show by himself. It would be nice if the Latino guy joins the group soon, though I can’t see how he can coexist with Rat Catcher as they serve the same general purpose.

Every moment she’s on screen, I begin to cheer for the vampires. My ideal season finale is having her face The Master armed only with a “Morley” and her favorite ashtray, while draped with blood bags from the Red Cross center.