The Surreal World of Second Life

Hi all. Thought some of you may be interested in recent Second Life goings on after some positive feedback from my other posts on it in various threads.

Well, the game that me and a friend made in Second Life (DarkLife - a diablo-style game) has now had more than 1,000 players play it at $500L for the right to play any time. $500 Linden dollars sells on http://www.gamingopenmarket.com for $2us.

We’re also featured on http://www.secondlife.com - right on the front page. It seems the developers are taking a real interest in games content in Second Life, understanding the sticky value a good game has.

The current rage in SL is Tringo. Imagine bingo, but instead of numbers you get tetris pieces which must be slotted together into a 2x2, or 3x3 square to get points. It’s amazingly addictive and about 1/3rd of all events in game are probably Tringo related right now!

And there’s some other kewl news. LL are making a good push at GDC this year I think, I’ll also be there if anyone wants to catch up. More and how and why when I can :)

And in more curiousness. We have a new sponsor for DarkLife, someone has bought us a second island to build on! This guys own (NOT WORKSAFE) http://www.realdoll.com …independtly wealthy I bet.

I’m feeling very Snowcrash right now. Cashing out virtual money, ultra-realistic sexbots, I mean, dolls… egad! The future is nowww!

I hear they even do special orders, like Night Elfs… ick.

Peter

Second Life was an experience I was really getting into. Then I realized that I was too busy with school, had other games to play, and, in general, lacked the time or money to dig into it at the time. So SL’s on hold until may when I graduate and sit on my butt forever.

And you told me not to get all Snowcrash on you!

Bahaha! I’m fickle.

I gave DarkLife a try and was impressed by the obvious amount of work that went into creating it. I also convinced another player to give it a try as I’m trying to get her hooked on RPG so she’ll sign up for WoW.

The biggest problem is the in-game cost. After paying $500L for the backpack that lets you play the game, I saved up 250g for the leader badge so I could form groups (why do I have to pay for this?). Then I realized: for everything you buy with gold, you also pay an equal amount in Linden dollars. That’s when the both of us quickly lost interest in playing, as $L is somewhat scarce when all you make is the weekly stipend ($500L).

Am I missing something here? Will I be finding loot that I can sell back for $L? Can I convert gold to $L? The game just seems too expensive to play, even if it is only virtual money! :)

Oh, and Tringo…that game is wonderfully addicting, though too many people are getting very, very good at it, and win almost every time. I don’t play to win anymore, I view it as a fun social event.

The reduction in payments to people has meant I think we need to look at cost. And the leader badge? Yeah, rippoff, the programer just set them at that. I need to have stern words.

The reduction in payments to people has meant I think we need to look at cost. And the leader badge? Yeah, rippoff, the programer just set them at that. I need to have stern words.

Sorry for the thread resurrection - anyone playing Second Life who can recommend it? I’m in-between MMORPGs right now (quit WoW a few months ago), but I’m feeling the urge to play something massively multiplayer.

I dabbled in There a while back, but quickly got bored because there was really nothing to do unless you wanted to pay $$ upfront. Second Life sounds like there is a greater range of things to do. Anyone give me a quick comparison between the two?

If it doesn’t sounds like my cup of tea, I may try Puzzle Pirates.

Its an odd game. I dont know if I can really reccomend it.

And you told me not to get all Snowcrash on you![/quote]

Sorry, but if you think you’re going to have more time to game after you get out of school, you must be planning on a fruitful career unemployed. Enjoy yourself now, brother. :)

Maybe he’ll land one of those cush $100k/year jobs as a game reviewer.