The Taco Commander resurfaces with an Xbox 360 game!

Galactic Command for the 360 and PC.

Ahhhhh so THIS is the console title he mentioned a couple of years ago destined to be bigger than the HALO franchise. God damn look at those screenies, it looks like he’s still using the same engine that powers BattleCruiser^H^H^H^H^H^H^Universal Combat v.5839238479e-12983sigma-3322.

FiringSquad has learned that 3000AD’s Derek Smart, creator of the long running Battlecruiser/Universal Combat series of space sim games, will officially announce on Monday an all new space based game series called Galactic Command. This game is being designed as an action shooter that’s similar in style to the Freespace series of space combat games. 3000AD also plans to release this game in episodic format for both the PC and Xbox 360 console. We have the first public screenshots from the game here. Look for more info on Galactic Command along with an interview with Derek Smart where he talks about the game on Monday.

"FiringSquad has learned . . . " lol more like FiringSquad is the only gaming website that’ll give the Taco Commander any recognition these days.

It’s hard for me to ridicule him when he’s like the only guy bothering to make games like this anymore.

Yes but his games are shite. If they were good I’d be inclined to agree with you and maybe even forget about that whole PhD thing.

I’d love to see this guy try to make a title for a console. Imagine the hilarity that will ensue when Microsoft QA gets it in their hands.

Wow … I’d almost blanked that guys name from my memory. I supported his soapbox promises not once but twice. Never again. I think of those two times I had a playable game 5 gajillion patches later. I’d given up before then.

To put up with this guy and his games you have to be a masochist. That’s all I have to say.

Everything I’ve heard about the guy says that he’s quite pleasant in person, actually. I was sorry I didn’t get a chance to meet him at the QT3 get together at the last E3 I attended.

“Quite pleasant” is actually an understatement. In person, Derek is an extremely likable, thoughtful, personable guy. The drama that pops up every time his name is mentioned is quite humourous, actually, to people who know him. It’s too easy to jump on the meme… kinda like making a Duke Nukem Forever joke.

I like the guy a lot. And if you know anything about the game business, you have to admire his tenacity and perseverance.

I wonder why his online persona seems so different?

I’ve never met him in person. Though I don’t think much of his online personality.

But you have to admit… he’s very persistent when it comes to making these games. Far, far more persistent than ordinary humans can stand to be. Which is a pretty positive trait. So I hope this time he channels it effectively and makes a game that lots of people like. Maybe that will also give him less time to post on forums.

Yeah, Derek is definitely a good guy in person.

Derek Smart is The Last Dragon.

Only replace “Dragon” with “Great Internet Troll.”

They don’t make 'em like that anymore. sniff

So is JMR the renamed Huffman? Starting the thread with the (not even funny) Taco Commander reference is rather “elementary schoolyard.”

I get depressed everytime his name or games are mentioned. Not because I don’t like him personally, but because he has such great ideas and absolutely no idea how to make them work.

Very frustrating to me because when you read a write up of any of his game concepts they always seem to be very intriguing. Then you see the game that came of it and it’s a form of punishment.

So he’s nice in person in real life (away from a keyboard), BFD. A lot of colossal dickheads can be nice and cordial face to face with someone they’re just meeting for the first time. Hey at the next E3 go ahead and ask Derek about his PhD – you know the innocuous type of questions that no one would hesitate to answer like, where did you get it and in what field. Would you feel any trepidation whatsoever asking those same questions face to face with Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk? I thought so.

Yes he’s such a nice guy just ask Dreamcatcher or any other publisher he’s burned bridges with and see what they have to say about him. Seriously, have any of you guys have ever bought BC or UC and tried to get help on his “support” forums? Have you?! I guess for the rest of us who don’t rub elbows with industry insiders we have to hope for an alignment of the stars to meet the good doctor in person just to have something that remotely resembles polite and courteous help.

All bullshit aside the man has dug his own grave. His only means of PC distribution is direct download, that’s it. Just who in the hell does he expect to publish this title for the 360?

Edit: Sorry, Denny, it’s too late for me to change the thread title to "Dr. Smart resurfaces . . . "

So he’s nice in person in real life (away from a keyboard), BFD. A lot of colossal dickheads can be nice and cordial face to face with someone they’re just meeting for the first time. Hey at the next E3 go ahead and ask Derek about his PhD – you know the innocuous type of questions that no one would hesitate to answer like, where did you get it and in what field. Would you feel any trepidation whatsoever asking those same questions face to face with Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk? I thought so.

Yes he’s such a nice guy just ask Dreamcatcher or any other publisher he’s burned bridges with and see what they have to say about him. Seriously, have any of you guys have ever bought BC or UC and tried to get help on his “support” forums? Have you?! I guess for the rest of us who don’t rub elbows with industry insiders we have to hope for an alignment of the stars to meet the good doctor in person just to have something that remotely resembles polite and courteous help.

you have to admire his tenacity and perseverance

I would, I sincerely would if his games did not suck goat wang. Hell I would even overlook his customer support skills IF he made something worth playing.

All bullshit aside the man has dug his own grave. His only means of PC distribution is direct download, that’s it. Just who in the hell does he expect to publish this title for the 360?

Edit: Sorry, Denny, it’s too late for me to change the thread title to "Dr. Smart resurfaces . . . "

I spent a good ten minutes asking him about that when I met him at a QT3 gathering.

I just can’t figure out what he gets out of it, and it seems, neither can he.

Given his response below It’s possible, but I don’t think Huffman ever devolved into name calling.

Christ, how many do you want? We’ve already had one. Gladguy (Brian Gladman) works or worked for Dreamcatcher at the time of their falling out, and he seems to like the guy:

Seriously, have any of you guys have ever bought BC or UC and tried to get help on his “support” forums?

Seriously, yes. First off, the claims about the instability of his games (from Battlecruiser Millenium on, anyway) are way overblown. Second, I was able to get help on his support forums. Yes, I agree with Derek’s critics that his “read through every goddamn thread before you ask a question that’s been asked before” policy is irritating and too heavy-handed, but it’s not something I lose a lot of sleep over.

Evidently, some publisher. I can’t imagine he’d pour tons of money and effort into a project that had little chance of being distributed.

I was wondering along the same lines. This kind of behaviour was touchable in the past, if I may be genteel about it.

Like Gladguy’s post in #8 above?