The Taco Commander resurfaces with an Xbox 360 game!

As stusser said, Derek’s beyond the “small misunderstanding in tone” that you often get with text communication - he threatens to sue people on a regular basis.

Yeah, well. Wait until they find the bodies in his basement.

Rumour has it that he’s kind of like the candyman … and now you’ve said his name more than three times, so he’s more or less bound to show up here to defend his honour.

I hope he does. I’ve never had the pleasure of seeing him in action, only know his reputation and some speculation concerning his PhD.

Oh, and those screens don’t look too good. Some of the ship designs are neat, but the textures? My God. Maybe a few layers of bumps, normals and shaders can save them. Maybe.

It’d be a little tough for Derek Smart, MD to pull that since he’s been banned here for like 2 years.

Edit: but considering the board switch over unbanned everyone, who knows, maybe Tom forgot to reban him.

Wait… is this QT3? Or is this Bizzaro QT3 where everyone is above the “elementary schoolyard”? Also, isn’t it technically the “Taco Supreme Commander” or “Supreme Taco Commander”? I forget which. Oh, and the starforce thing was on avaults forums iirc.

For your viewing pleasure, we now present our feature presentation:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1503217992928226365

Oh, I think most of us are pretty familiar with the controversy. I certainly followed the newsgroup wars from very close to the beginning to the end, more or less, where it all petered out into utter, juvenile pointlessness.

As for the behavior thing, I can understand Derek’s pretty well. Hell, I’ve threatened to literally kill several smart-mouthed little online sissy-fags myself–and I meant it. It’s infuriating to have to put up with childish nonsense from people who wouldn’t dare to do what they do online in your actual presence…kinda like how in the old days you didn’t dare smart off to your elders because they’d kick your fucking ass sideways, but nowadays you just flip them the finger and run for the nearest ACLU office. Compared to what I would have done to some of Derek’s tormentors, I’d say he’s been relatively restrained.

OTOH, once your dander is up, it’s very easy to lump everyone unfairly into a single category and treat them all the same. I’ve seen Derek do that, and I’ve even seen him be on what I considered to be the wrong end of the argument a few times. That still doesn’t make him the Devil.

I totally agree. Those pesky end-users who buy my game and want to know how to play it. Absolutely dispicable. Where do they work up the nerve to come onto MY forum and ask ME how something works! RTFM, and if you can’t find it there, you obviously know you’re too stupid to even be asking in the first place (or you’re a pirate). Get a clue.

That pretty much sums up exactly what everyone’s problem is with how DS acts.

I just don’t understand why he treats his own customers the way he does. You make an extemely complex game, and everyone who asks questions about how to play the game is immediately an enemy. These people are trying to play your game, for chrissakes. You don’t have to act like the Sword of the Stars developers.

You’re linking usenet. Here. Where the fuck do you think we came from, spanky? Go read up your own damn self. Here’s a hint: I was in plenty of those threads. That doesn’t change the fact that you’re embarassing yourself here with your incredulity that we won’t join you in throwing stones at a guy who can’t even fucking post here anymore.

He threatened to sue me as well. So what? He never did, and I’m perfectly willing to believe my friends when they tell me he’s actually a decent guy. There’s simply no reason to foster approval for “HO HO HO TACO COMMANDER STRIKES AGAIN COKE MACHINE PHD DURRR” threads at this point in history.

Its kind of weird… I kind of like the guy even though he has gone nuts on me as well. It makes no sense. At least he is releasing versions of his game unlike some internet characters.

He may well be a decent guy, but he acts like a complete twat online and has done for many years. What’s the problem with people forming an opinion of him based on that?

There is no problem with that, just some of us choose not to do it.

You choose not to form an opinion of someone based on his actions? Seems odd.

Based on his actions “on line.” Big difference there.

That’s my perspective. But it’s not just that he can’t make them work it’s that he insists they do work and if you can’t get them to work right you must be an idiot or deliberately out to sabotage him. I spent some time with one of these games, and actually had an interesting back and forth with Derek here. In his favor, not many developers would spend that kind of time walking someone through a game (and I don’t think he’d ever bend over that far backward for anyone on his own forums - Qt3 is very special that way. :) ). And his vision is something I find very attractive - it’s right up my alley: complex dynamic campaigns, deep simulation (sorta, kinda - it’s deep but I’m pretty sure a simulation is supposed to mimic the subject in some way).

But when it comes down to it there’s a bogglingly complex interface and actual gameplay that’s waaaaay less than advertised. I just wish he’d pick one aspect of his game, polish it to perfection, and release that. Then move on to expanding the scope. I agree there aren’t many, if any, people doing what he’s doing with that kind of passion and intensity. What he’s after is ambitious and exciting and far too experimental for most corporate accountants to get a chubby over. But man…just man…

Mayer wins the 2006 Analogy Prize.

When he was gently touched here, he set up a rival board-- I think it was “Half Past Five” but I can’t seem to find it now.

He got a mini-invasion of detractors, banned them all, then forgot about the whole thing, I think.

Really?

Derek was actually pretty well-behaved around here until the stalkerati showed up and started prodding him.

Alas, there was a banning incident followed by an apparently attempt to reregister as someone else that resulted in him being permabanned.

I’m sure you’re a great guy in real life. However, everyone is missing something, admitting to this makes you a douche bag on the internet. That may or may not matter to you, but it’s just how it is.

It’s infuriating to have to put up with childish nonsense from people who wouldn’t dare to do what they do online in your actual presence…kinda like how in the old days you didn’t dare smart off to your elders because they’d kick your fucking ass sideways, but nowadays you just flip them the finger and run for the nearest ACLU office.

Oh yeah, the good 'ol days when actions were censored by beating.

Fucking online sissy-fags prodding him into being an online maniac.