The Team Fortress 2 Unofficial Official Thread

I’ve gotten 21 kills as an engineer with some creative sentry placement on Well (the best map evar)… And the only shooting I had to do was spy-checks.

Edit: Oops, that’s 21 points. I guess a lot of the kills were point defense, so there were bonus points involved.

That’s the same in UT CTF since ever.
I learned to deal with it because I KNOW for myself I made a difference in capping that flag although some others will be seen as the heroes due to their high kill counts.
Without me paying attention and using a shortcut to get our flag back the cap couldn’t been made or without me standing in the way between the our flag carrier and the chasers that lost time killing me they would have gotten Mr. Shiny flag capper.

You do get bonus points for stopping attempts on the intel, but I think only if you are near by. The persistant stats are a little funny because they track how many of whatever you did during a single life, so it is possible that you could have poor stats while still doing more over all than somebody else.

Most Defenses, Most Dominations, Longest Life are the defense stats people would care about… but I would like to have individual game breakouts, it would help find maps I was weak on or show improvements on said maps.

A sign of a good defensive player would be the three previously mentioned stats because you shouldn’t be dying often, and you’ll be dominating (getting nemesis awards) the offense (usually the same people). Most defenses may be iffy since I’m not sure if that is based on proximity to a goal point or holding out so the case gets returned/point gets reverted back to your team (I think it’s the latter).

From here (it’s for HL2 but the commands work in all Source engine games):

cl_showfps [0,1,2] - Draws a Frames Per Second (FPS) counter at the top of the screen. 0=off, 1=FPS, 2=Smoothed FPS. In general the smoothed fps counter is best for viewing framerates

In our e-peen measuring here, are we talking most kills in one round, or most kills without dying?

Just don’t worry about the stats, Rob. Play the game the way that makes you happy and it’ll be ten times as enjoyable as working to get the stats.

It’s similar to playing MMOs and reading their forums. It’s a very bad thing.

QFT, don’t worry about comparing your stats against other people. Just play the game as you enjoy it (within reason… don’t be that guy camping as an engineer or a demoman during sudden death).

Heheh. Yes, that’s absolutely right. Keep thinking that. If you shoot me, a valued member of your team, and you see no blood, I am definitely not a Spy.

They were probably friendly. Friendly cloaked spies have no nametag, and are very, very faintly visible. Hostile cloaked spies are only even remotely visible if touched, shot or cloaking/decloaking.

If you disguise yourself as a Spy, it’s not suspicious to cloak/decloak. Unless people are watching very closely, and notice that they could not see you at all before you reappeared. I don’t think anyone’s that canny.

Stats lose 70% of their fun if you don’t compare them with other people.

Well, I’m usually a demo man, and the pipe bomb version of the test tends to work pretty well.

Anyway, good to know the only way to test is to use something lethal (most melee weapons) or set them on fire.

Except that allied Spies almost always get disguised as someone, so it would be far more obvious that you are an enemy Spy.

You can’t really check for spies easily as a Demoman, so I can’t imagine how they’d work on an FF server… (If they run, they’re a spy. If they don’t run, they’re a well disciplined spy.)

You can’t? I’d swear I blew up a disguised spy with a pipe bomb to the head. Are they are immune to the demoman weapons when disguised? Maybe I’m remembering wrong.

I don’t think landing a pipe in their face is as easy as a shotgun without a lot of practice.

So now that I’ve played a little bit more, I feel that control points are captured way too quickly. “You’re control point is being captured”. In the time it takes to listen to that message, you’re control pont HAS been captured and you’ve just lost the round. Meanwhile, if you do somehow manage to defend the point in the half second you’ve got, it takes about a minute to clear out. All it takes is one lucky scout to win the game. Very annoying.

The control points have different capture times depending on the location. The center ones seem to take the longest… while the final points that win the game are quick… at least, that seemed to be the case with Well and Granery. Additionally, more people on the point mean faster capture, and a scout class counts as two people. That’s a nice touch, IMHO, it definitely encourages more coordination on offense.

On the map I was just playing (I have no idea what it’s called), The control point was a little tiny room suspended by 2 ramps leading up to it. The game started and a scout from the other side ran right into it winning the game about 15 seconds after it started. No team coordination on offense, and no chance to set up a defense. Pretty much the only way to defend that point is to have the entire team sit in that tiny little room so no one else can get in. At least that’s been the case when I’ve played.

That sounds… like maybe Well in Sudden Death mode? Was there an ICBM above the capture point? Maybe it was Hydro?

If it was a CP map it had to be overtime Sudden Death. You can’t get to a neutral or enemy CP until the round starts unless it’s Sudden Death. All other times there are doors up blocking both teams or the attacking team (allowing for defense team to setup).