The Team Fortress 2 Unofficial Official Thread

You know, I’ve wanted this game for what, like 8 or 9 years now, and now that I can get it, I don’t really care anymore.

I loved QWTF with a passion and still talk to some of my old TF friends, but maybe I just kind of lost the desire after all the time.

I haven’t played as a spy yet, and I just played as an Engineer for the first time today, so can someone give me the skinny on the sappers?

I’d get a message that my whatever was beings sapped, and I’d run up to it, but I wasn’t sure what to do. I just fired blindly, assuming there’s a cloaked spy. Never seemed to hit one. Do they set the sappers and then run off? Should I be running up and repairing immediately? Only to get stabbed in the back?

As was mentioned earlier, it really does seem like it’s too easy to sap and destroy.

I’m pretty certain sappers can’t sap when invisible, but they sure can when they’re disguised. So, chances are that team mate who just touched your baby… is a spy. Don’t worry about going after the spy though. You need to worry about your sentry. Hit it with a wrench to beat the sap so it doesn’t blow up your sentry. Then start shooting randomly at team mates.

Edit: On another note, does anyone else have an opinion about ideal team sizes?

If you hit the sapped sentry with your wrech, it will save the sentry… But watch your back while you do it, the sapped sentry won’t fire on an spy, who will reveal himself after he’s stabbed you in the back.

I just checked the map, it was Hydro. I don’t think it was sudden death. Basically, everyone was locked in their little spawn room, the map started, we rush out, the enemy rushes out. A scout weaves into the capture point, and wins the round. Very annoying. Of course, this highlights the fact that 1 skilled player is much greater than a team of average players.

I’ve seen the same thing happen in Hydro, but when it did, everyone on my team had rushed well past our command point, leaving it defenseless… I don’t think it would happen twice to the same team. Just standing on your command point prevents the scout from taking it.

On a different note, is this all the maps? I’m hearing we won’t be getting anymore on the 9th when it finally releases.

I’m loving TF2 already, but we only get one CTF map? And only a total of 6 maps? Really?

Anyone know?

I’ve found the shotgun to be pretty underpowered, especially compared to the TFC version. Many times, as an Engineer, I’ve run after a Spy carrying my intelligence, blasting away at him at close range several times, and not killing him. Then he turns around and pops me a few times with that nasty revolver. Unless it’s a headshot, he seems to be able to pretty much shrug it off.

Meanwhile, Scouts seem to have little trouble picking me off with their shotty, unless I’m a Heavy.

Also, as a Medic, I miss having the shotty. That hypo gun is kind of weak. But I did sneak in behind a Heavy last night and kill him with a few whacks of that saw. I think the Medic’s health regeneration is too minimal to make a difference either way, and I’d like to see that ability replaced with more health, more damage, or some other property.

In the commentaries Valve stated that instead of creating hundreds of maps that no one will ever play, they focused on creating fewer, more polished maps that have much better replayability. This also gives players that don’t play 24/7 an ability to memorize the maps.

In the in-game dev commentary they said something like, why release a bunch of maps when people only end up playing a handful. So I wouldn’t expect many, if any, more.

Edit: Doh, beaten by SqueakyFoo

Finding Spies on FF servers: Shoot someone and if their health doesn’t move - they’re a spy.

The map SDK is out, so I think we will see user created maps, soon…

Here’s hoping for a proper QWTF Rock2!

Ouch.

I understand the theory, but 6? That’s mighty few, especially with one CTF map, and those maps are going to get tired pretty quick. Plus, the maps are pretty small. I’m going to know those maps inside and out inside a month or so, if I play for any length of time. As will most of you that play often.

Not even talking about the price for 6 maps, it still hurts.

I hope they don’t spend forever releasing more maps…

In all fairness, I think Hydro counts as like two or three maps.

Well if you listen to the Dev Comments they talk about having 6 really great maps and working on other stuff because they know the community will come up with better maps then they could.

DE-Dust and CS-Office are the entirety of my CS experience (to offer a comparison). I much prefer quality over quantity. And as Anti-Bunny says: community maps.

Consumers don’t have the time to devote to making games the way they want them anymore, especially when it comes to Source which is still in a weird Quake 2 kind of place as far as mapping is concerned. The majority of the aesthetics come from placed static meshes and not level geometry itself. Unless the assets are generic enough or themed to be repurposed I wouldn’t count on someone coming out with a map polished enough to compare to those six from Valve.

Any extra game modes depend on them implementing efficient and relatable entities in the SDK… good luck coding any custom game behaviour through archaic Hammer entity relationships…

So unless they stepped up in that department you can kiss the chances of proper homages to Rock, Spazball, Hunted, Border and Civsaw goodbye…

Did they honestly say “hundreds of maps” in their commentary? Like they didn’t remake only the most popular maps for CS:S when it was released, and then slowly trickle in the middle grounders like Militia and Nuke? Pffft.

so console owners get screwed (not that we’re not wide open and lubed already, but I’m saying tho)

I think the CAMP project for DOD:S and some of the maps for Fortress Forever are proof that there is an active mapping community for source that makes some very decent, playable maps.

But you are right, I don’t think they will look as good as the Valve maps. On the other hand, if looks were everything, would DE_Dust be so popular?

Eh… I’d rather them release a small number of super-refined and fun maps that I can actually learn.

I mean Counter-Strike has ONE map. Dust. I know there are others, but good luck ever finding people who play them.

In fact, the gross proliferation of maps and weapons is one of the things I can’t stand about Unreal Tournament. You can’t possibly put in enough time to properly learn 'em all, so players naturally progress to playing a small handful.

I’d rather Valve (or anyone else) just produce that “small handful” to begin with and give me a more polished game, or give me the game sooner, or charge me less money, or whatever.