The Terror. Series Premier on AMC.

This really picks up in the “third” episode, and really doubles down on the supernatural elements of the story. Some of the camera work displayed was genuinely unnerving, one of the few times I can think of where TV tries to show what it feels like to die.

I loved Jared Harris in Fringe and Mad Men, and of course here, but only just learned he’s the son of Richard.

Still enjoying this a lot. Question: didn’t this premier just last week? I’m a bit confused because it’s available on Amazon Prime over here. I thought this was a one-new-episode-a-week thing, but after watching the pilot last week, I was surprised to find out that they also had the third, fourth and fifth episodes available this week.

They screwed up and put a few up early

“premiere”

I didn’t even know about the book, but I just find it hard to watch a group of people who we know from history are destined to die in dire circumstances.

I had low expectations for this since I think the book is pretty awful. But after the rigging sequence in episode 5, I’m wondering if maybe, just maybe, this miniseries can pull it off. What was silly in the book just might work given how well the miniseries is staged and shot. Whatever the case – I still suspect it’s going to fall apart as surely as the book – the cast and production values are superlative. They could shoot a production of Plan 9 From Outer Space on those frozen listing ships and I’d be captivated by it.

-Tom

I finished it. No regrets, but overall I found the second half of it less engaging than the first one. Once the the mystery part has been solved*, there isn’t a lot left to be explored. I didn’t care much about Hickey or his arc and didn’t find it plausible that he’d become this leader figure. That said, I still enjoyed it for the visuals, the atmosphere and some of the performances.

The mystery is mostly about what the monster looks like (which is taken care of by the time episode 5 ends) since it’s already been hinted at there being a connection between it and the locals early on. So, after episode 5 not much gets added to that, and it’s all about people getting unhinged in a desperate situation.

I had no read the novel, but checked a synopsis after finishing the show. Seems like it does say something about the nature or origin of the creature, but from what I gather the show omitting that part might not be a bad thing? From what I understand though, the novel provides a better explanation of why Franklin acts the way he does? In the show, I thought, he comes across a bit like an unlikable buffoon who is wrong pretty much all the time. Nothing redeeming about him.

I’m captivated by the actual Plan 9 From Outer Space.

This show is pretty cool. Like Master and Commander vs The Thing. Only 3 episodes in, but digging the whole Artic feel. Something about good dramas on ice, like that Fortitude show. Keeps me watching.

Also Jared Harris is really a great actor. He was pretty good in The Crown as King George. Also in Madmen. Same with Ciaran Hinds, such a good English cast.

Also in The Expanse which is fantastic.

I’ve got six episodes queued up on my DVR. Anyone enjoy the show enough to say it’s worth the time to binge watch them? Or should I delete and move on with my life? Which of these things?

It’s quite good.

I’m with @forgeforsaken, although I’ll see his “quite good” and raise him a “remarkable”. I’ve always liked Jared Harris , but I don’t think I’ve ever seen him project the kind of warmth and strength he expresses as Crozier. Ciaran Hinds is different from his usual self, and it’s pretty funny to watch, actually. The expression on his face on the promotional poster says it all. I love watching shrewd actors play incompetent people. There are also a couple of real standouts in the cast I’d never seen before. Paul Ready as Goodsir and Adam Nagaitis as Hickey are unforgettable. I want to see those guys in more stuff (Paul Ready has a tiny throwaway part as a guard in Death of Stalin; I couldn’t take my eyes off him because of what an impression he made in The Terror!).

Of course, one of the main stars of the show is the production values. There are times the sets look too much like sound stages, but they’re few and far between. For the most part, it’s a gorgeous period piece set in an exotic location, full of historical detail. For instance, the notches on the walls where chairs are hung so they’re not rolling around when a ship pitches. I don’t think I’d ever seen that before. Or I just hadn’t noticed it. Even the costumes. There’s a lot of detail to enjoy.

And whereas I didn’t like the book – it’s indulgent, unfocused, and too long – I think it works as a miniseries given the strength of the cast. What’s filler in the book becomes watching a cast of really strong UK actors at work in the miniseries. However, make sure you have a good ear for accents of the Queen’s subjects. They can be really strong in The Terror, and there are a couple of different varieties.

The show also does a great job with two set pieces in particular that I thought were kind of goofy in the book. I was wondering how the show would pull them off and I wasn’t disappointed in the least.

So, yes, highly recommended.

-Tom

Thanks guys I’ll check it out! I wasn’t really ready to move on with my life anyways tbh

I’ve watched the first 3 episodes, and am definitely hooked. But, I’ve owned the book for quite a while, love Dan Simmons’ stuff, but haven’t gotten around to reading it yet. For those who have read the book: Should I stop watching until after I’ve read the book? Will I ruin any book enjoyment by watching the show?
I’ve now placed it in my “next to read” queue, but it will probably be at least a few weeks before I get to it, so the show will probably finish before I finish the book which might be better all around as it will allow me to binge the whole season instead waiting a week for each episode.

We’ve been watching this as well, and I have to agree with Tom on pretty much everything. Visually, it is a feast, and all of the period piece stuff is so well done. The accents are a challenge at times, but hey, that’s why the DVR has a rewind feature!

We did discover we have to watch this only at night, as much of the show takes place in low light situations, and any glare or too much ambient light washes out the good stuff.

The Kindle version of The Terror is on sale today for $2.99.

The most recent episode, #9 of 10, featured pretty much zero action, and not even a whole lot of forward progress in terms of story and travel, and yet it was one of the most riveting episodes of the show. The writing, directing and acting in this series, and especially this episode, is fantastic. Jared Harris has done an excellent job of taking Capt. Crozier from unlikeable self-pitying drunkard in the first half of the episodes to noble hero in the most recent episodes. His performance in this is Emmy/Golden Globe worthy in my opinion. Much of the supporting cast has turned in solid performances as well, from the slimy and always calculating Mr. Hickey to the inquisitive and hopeful Mr. Goodsir to the reliable but doomed from the start Thomas Hartnell. Watching each man cope with the inevitability of their fate has been fascinating.

With only one episode left though, I have to wonder how they’re going to handle the ending. I mean, we KNOW what happens to them, and I doubt the show will veer from history, so they have around an hour left to wrap things up. It makes me wonder if they will simply end the show with the remaining men walking across the ice and disappearing into the landscape…leaving the viewer to reflect on how long they might have kept going until the end.

Just binged episodes 4 through 9 yesterday. Man, I really like this series. However, aside from the main 4 or 5 people, I can’t tell who is who. Fr’instance, in the Carnival, it turned out the doctor was the guy who got accidentally stabbed when Hickey was cutting through the canvas. And for the life of me I couldn’t keep Mr Goodsir and Mr Hartnell apart (I can now, though!). It’ll be sad to bid this one goodbye (I can’t imagine it continues beyond these 10 episodes).