The Terror. Series Premier on AMC.

So I finally caught up and finished this last night. What a bleak and disturbing show. I had to do some reading online to figure out the whole mythology and the tongue cutting off thing. Overall well acted and just oozing with atmosphere. Looking forward to what the next season brings without a novel to base it off of.

Funny you mention it; I had a haunting half-dream this AM about this show.

Apparently George Takei will be in season 2.

takeiohmy

Season 2 starts Monday - and is already leaked on the internet because AMC’s streaming service has it up 48 hours early. Looking forward to this - loved the first season.

Thanks for the reminder! I need to check the DVR and make sure it recognizes this season of The Terror as the same show so it records. Looking forward to it as well.

Maybe check your pipes?

— Alan

nobody watching?

I gave up after two episodes. The two young leads are just so flat and uninteresting. In the first season, we had Jared Harris and Ciaran Hinds, but now we get these two duds?

I did like the scene of the father, while being carted off by the military police, imploring his son to fight for the US. That was a pretty moving look at the fraught relationship this country has with immigration. We can treat them like dirt and they still love this country. What a powerful irony.

-Tom

I’m watching, but I agree with Tom that it’s kind of slow going without the kind of charismatic leads that the first season had. I am curious about the Japanese mythology, and I really like the unfiltered look at how things changed for Japanese Americans post-Pearl Harbor, but other than the father (and George Takei in his brief on-screen appearances) there isn’t anyone in this story so far that the audience truly cares about and connects with. I’m hoping that will change since it appears the son is going to be joining the military (I haven’t seen this week’s episode yet).

The problem isn’t the leads, or even the writing of the leads as such. It’s the lack of narrative momentum and suspense. We’ve been thrown around from place to place, viewpoint to viewpoint, and situation to situation without much of a rhyme or reason. Things just kind of happen without it feeling like we’re headed anywhere. (For example: the lead couple are apart, together, and apart again all within 3 episodes, all without establishing any core chemistry that might make us care about them or their fate.)

Meanwhile, we the audience know the monster is real. But we don’t feel any suspense or fright about what’s gonna happen because we aren’t being given any interesting clues about how the monster works, what it wants, or what might possibly be done to stop it.

Was our lead’s decision to join the army to save his loved one a clever plan or a harebrained scheme? We aren’t being given any reason to form an opinion one way or other. It just sort of happens, so instead of wondering what happens next? I’m saying eh, so what?

Like Tom I’m giving up on this. The setting is potentially fascinating. But this show isn’t frightening, spooky or suspenseful. And why am I watching a series called The Terror if it doesn’t deliver on that? I’d be better off reading a good history of the internment camps.

In my mind, Chernobyl is the real second season of The Terror.

Interesting piece on HMS Terror.

Adds to the mystery. Sunk suddenly in spring or summer, no signs of damage or cause of sinking.

Late to the party on this one, glad I got around to it, big thumbs up. Binged the first season over 3 days. Top notch casting for sure.

Not so much scary as I’d hoped, but it was suspenseful.

So nobody watched season 2 to the finnish line?

I heard season 2 was not great, so I deleted it from my dvr.

We let it run in the background then did other things so the end result is no, we didn’t really watch it either. No idea what happened when I think back about it minus a couple of creepy scenes. Definite skip.

I did, and it was interesting enough moment to moment for me to keep watching, but nowhere near as good as season 1.