The Theme Song Thunderdome

A clear win for @JoshL and Gustav Holst. Nicely done! Take it away, Josh!

Wow! I mean, it’s an honor just to be nominated. I’d like to thank the academy, and my parents, and…

Um, gimme a minute to think about the next character…

Round 13 Start

Well, ok. How about another character who goes from planet to planet, blown by the winds of fate, never quite in control of his own destiny, just struggling to emerge from whatever ridiculous situation he finds himself in next…

Your friend and mine, the eternally-bathrobe-clad Arthur Dent. Whether you prefer that guy up there, or this guy down here:

dent2

…this dude’s had his planet blown up, a fish stuck in his ear, and any number of other indignities inflicted upon his person. He deserves a theme song!

Nobody? Should I pick a different character…?

I feel sorta bad doing this but, honestly, it was the first thing that came to mind for poor beleaguered Arthur.

Sorry everybody.

I’m thinking (i.e I forgot)

At first I was thinking of Travis’ “Why Does It Always Rain On Me”, but then I remembered another character in Long Dark Teatime Of The Soul that fit that song even better.

So for the galactic hitchhiker who has seen improbable sights, witnessed the end of the universe, and learned to throw himself at the ground and miss, I submit this curious English rocker regarding visitors to our planet. Stick out your thumb, won’t you?

https://youtu.be/_fTWmUlTEqE

(And of course another song on this album could be pointed at one of Arthur’s comrades.)

I just want to note that you have excellent taste in both music and literature.

Looks like you guys have the hapless/humorous angle sewn up, so I took a different tack. This is the song of an ordinary bloke, feeling adrift and alone, but anchored by a sentimental attachment to England, plaintively looking to the stars for answers to the big questions of life, the universe, and everything.

I don’t know if it’s the best fit, but this came to mind for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPmYDbCZQVM&ab_channel=PorcupineTree-Topic

Imma close this up tomorrow morning. Getcher theme songs in!

What is Arthur Dent’s theme song?
  • Chumbawamba – Tubthumping (sigh)
  • Radiohead – Suberranean Homesick Alien
  • Big Big Train – The Second Brightest Star
  • Porcupine Tree – Prodigal

0 voters

Ah I forgot to get one in prior to going on a last minute camping trip.

That said I am on board with Porcupine Tree and Big Big Train being chosen by others, so lets give a listen shall we?

Congrats to @Djscman! Arthur certainly is a homesick alien, although not generally subterranean, but still, it was close enough to get the most votes.

I hope Arthur likes Radiohead, since it will now be playing in the background whenever he enters a room.

Take it away @Djscman!

I mean it beats Vogon poetry.

Great – I’m setting something up, but I’d prefer it if someone could guess my “5 Elements” entry in Movies first.

Courage Under Fire?

Why couldn’t Matt Damon or Denzel or Meg Ryan be in one of these movies?

Round 14 - Superman

So there’s plenty of versions of Superman out there. There’s the guy that stops bank robbers and kidnappers by withstanding their bullets before flying them to a police station. There’s the guy that saves commuters from train wrecks and mountain climbers from avalanches. There’s the super-scientist Man Of Tomorrow, who builds terrific robot servants and battles cosmic threats.
supermanrobot_training

There’s the mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent, raised with the values of his adopted parents back in America’s Heartland, who seeks to right injustices and can do that with the resources of a big city newspaper and a well-written article, and who sometimes uses his alter ego of Superman for direct action. And he’s kind of a master of disguise, for who would recognize this oaf as Superman?

There’s the alien Kal-El, who receives his energy from the Earth’s yellow sun and has a remarkable array of superhuman powers. Flight, invulnerability, heat vision, cold breath, faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive… and he sometimes uses his alter ego Clark Kent to keep himself grounded in this mass of humanity in whom he immerses himself. Except when he’s chilling out at the North Pole for some peace and quiet.

SupermanFOS

He’s an allusion to the Baby Moses, he’s the archetypal American Immigrant, he’s the best of humanity, he’s an inspiration to the rest of humanity, he’s a boring ol’ Boy Scout, he’s a savior, he’s a working man, he’s a fascist, he’s a demi-god, he’s a demagogue, or one of those, or all of them, or more. Truth, Justice, and the American Way… but what does that really mean? The dude lies about himself to his friends all the time, he rarely follows due process, and what kind of American way are we talking about? Or maybe it’s all cheap pulp to entertain and distract children.

super shot eye

Anyway, take all that. What would a character like that sound like?

(There’s one piece of music that I was considering to disqualify, but there’s nothing in the rules about disqualifying a piece of music. So have at it.)

For the inevitable identity crisis moment
https://youtu.be/c6UhK8C96_A

Also as an aside, lets make a pact to pick a villain next go round.

That sounds fun!

Any other contenders this round? I’d like to learn how to set up a poll in the next few days, but it looks like as it is, @forgeforsaken is going to sweep the results.