The Theme Song Thunderdome

Or is it…

Also completely correct

Edit tbh actually hell can we just nominate the entirety of John Henry? It’s basically just a Bond soundtrack

Not the song that was almost the theme from Thunderball but similar title (that one was Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang)
Specimen - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
https://youtu.be/NXjs859UdKI

I don’t think there’s a better time to indulge in my Goldfrapp-Bond daydream. It’s Felt Mountain-era so we’re talking dark fuzzy electronic stabs lurking behind luxurious curtains of strings, keys and brass pomp on top of dancehall percussion, with Bassey and, at times, Beth Gibbons-esque vocals. The lyrics are perfect too if you were thinking of the ladies left in Bond’s wake…

https://youtu.be/ZAYt7Jf4uPc

Ok so we have an interesting set of songs here. Let’s put them up for a vote.

• Dogs - Pink Floyd
  • No One Said This Would Be Easy - The Postmarks
  • Snowblind - Threshold
  • Spy - They Might Be Giants
  • Extra Savoir Faire - They Might Be Giants
  • Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Specimen
  • Human - Goldfrapp

0 voters

24 hours, go!

This is eerily perfect as a Bond theme, yes. Strong contender.

One of my fave artists and an excellent track, but we clearly need more wailing brass and/or strings.

Didn’t feel especially Bond to me, but introduced me to Specimen, and via them, The Batcave, an influential early goth/glam nightclub in London. Which had this amazing bit of liner note poetry in The Batcave: Young Limbs and Numb Humns, a compilation of the venue’s favored artists:

“Look past the slow black rain of a chill night in Soho; Ignore the lures of a thousand neon fire-flies, fall deft to the sighs of street corner sirens — come walk with me between heaven and hell. Here there is a club lost in its own feverish limbo, where sin becomes salvation and only the dark angels tread. For here is a BATCAVE. This screaming legend of blasphemy, Lechery, and Blood persists in the face of adversity. For some the Batcave has become an icon, but for those that know it is an iconoclast, it is the avenging spirit of nightlife’s badlands — its shadow looms large over London’s demi-Monde: It is a challenge to the false Idol. It Will Endure.”

Fuck that is so cool.

Super cool, and if that had been the exact theme, a perfect track. But at the end of the day, I think trigger wins out for me.

Awesome round, y’all; I got some great new tunes out of it <3

I think people in some part have a different take on the game, which is exacerbated with pick like Bond. Bond already has an actual theme song after all. Some folks are posting songs that sound like it could be a theme from the movie (even if lyrically it has nothing to do with Bond) while others are a bit more focused on the lyrics. My thoughts on the Specimen song was the Kiss Kiss Bang Bang chorus as emblematic of Bond as it originally referred to him in the 60s.

Well my two thoughts were James T Kirk, and James Bond. So exacerbated intentionally!

I wanted to see what people came up with, because there is so many angles to approach Bond from, that I thought it would be interesting to see which aspect people focused on.

It was certainly an indulgence! I couldn’t capture the arc of the man, but I could focus on that one constant with him at least! Pretty much as Craig said:

Oh that’s cool!

It’s definitely The Postmarks for me. That’s got the right tone, pace, style and lyrics to fit a Bond theme song. It’s pretty damn near perfect for it, and it’s a great tune to boot.

Last chance people! Only a few minutes left for voting.

Well no one said this would be easy.

No one was wrong.

With 2/3 of the votes, @triggercut 's Postmarks bank an easy win. Even with the self vote.

James Bond is all about the strings and brass choruses, and the smoky female singer takes it home.

Take it away Trig with your character pick.

Nice choice @triggercut!

@craigm and @SadleyBradley , would you mind updating the first post wiki with the results from your rounds? It would be nice to have that history assuming this thread sticks around for a while.

Hmm. Have we done Captain Jack Sparrow?

Because if not, let’s do him. :)

And this is why the first post is a round history wiki! But no, we have not. Fun choice!

I never knew there would be homework ;)

This is from a kids show but I feel the enthusiasm and goofiness suit Jack Sparrow, it’s also a bop.
Lazy Town - You are a Pirate

Alestorm?

Alestorm.

There are a few really good choices, but this one has both fitting lyrics, and a more playful tone.
https://youtu.be/9PpysgL6kdw

Mexico has the playful tone, Beer has the best lyrics but is more ‘angry’. And Jack Sparrow needs a little more playfulness.

But it is a target rich catalog for Captain Jack.

I think Sparrow needs something from the Caribbean that has legit swagger. My gut tells me that dancehall bangers wouldn’t be especially popular ‘round here, so I’ll submit this classic midpoint between dub and roots reggae, with bonus points for it being a bit goofy:

Alestorm was my first thought as well, but I’ll dig a bit deeper:

Alestorm and Dread Crew woulda been my first go-tos. I considered “The Mariner’s Revenge” song from The Decemberists just because it is, in fact, the best, but it’s also nothing at all to do with pirates, whereas this at least involves them :)