The Third Doctrinal War -- Stardock, Reiche/Ford, and Star Control

^this

If people don’t care about a thread anymore they obviously can move on. And if it annoys them for whatever reason they can mute it.

I don’t see any reason to close this thread or any other one that is not specifically causing systemic issues like sometimes can happen over in P&R or whatever.

I am pretty sure that there will be more to follow that I would like to discuss that would belong here instead of the other SC: Origins thread or the new thread for whatever P&F’s game ends up being titled.

There is no reason for this thread to be closed.

There had been discussion in the thread about a settlement (based on documentary proof about actual progress in the talks) for two weeks. Then you appeared, crapped out a “no settlement, fake news” post, and then there’s a settlement the next day. Of course that’s not coincidence. That was other people being informed, while you, the supposed confidante of the gaming industry being in the dark and totally ignorant.

Uh… Actually it is exactly like that… The Third Doctrinal War -- Stardock, Reiche/Ford, and Star Control - #3269 by peterb

Uh-huh.

Not relevant

Yeah, nice try Jesse.

Which has nothing to do with the settlement filing that came after - and which I was talking about. Nice try though.

I like Brad a lot and consider him a friend. So I think you’re off on your assessment here. I mean big deal - so you were wrong on something. Why care so much? Your life isn’t on the line for this. People get incomplete or late info all the time which makes a prediction they have off. Once again, no biggie. “Hey I got that wrong, I’m glad because this issue got settle, and we can move on”.

Can someone set the Dr Derek Smart timer to something longer than four days?

lol just take the L

The discussion isn’t about being “wrong” though. Anyone who knows me enough, knows that I’m all about the lols, and being right|wrong on the Internet isn’t my thing.

Just because one tries to correct the record while stating facts, doesn’t mean they’re fighting a “wrong”. And if you look at the topic flow, you’d see that I didn’t even start it. Someone made a factually incorrect statement, which I then chose to dispute and correct. That’s what discussions are for and about.

The irony of Derek typing the words “factually incorrect statement” in this thread is hilarious…

Some settlement terms fulfilled!

While that’s cool and all, what an abysmal waste of money and goodwill those lawsuits were.

Yup. As was mentioned at least a dozen times while this was going on, the lawyers are the only ones who were going to come out ahead. It’s really just a shame.

As an aside, I had expressed some skepticism at the time that they were actually working on a Star Control game. Has there been any news/info about that?

Part of the settlement prevents them from promoting their real sequel in any way for two years.

That’s interesting, didn’t know that. Thanks!

I see what you did there! :D

Even once those two years are up, they would probably need to go on formal leave from Activision again in order to work on a non-Activision game without handing Activision the IP rights. I work in the US software industry, and have read a dozen or more employment IP agreements, and the way they are usually worded, any IP you create that relates to your employer’s business has to be turned over to them, even if done on your own time.

That means that not only do they need to get permission from Activision, but they also need to save up enough money to sustain themselves and pay any other people who would be helping them make the game. Presumably, they did this before 2017, but their leave time and nest egg both ended up being spent fighting the legal battle.

This isn’t typical in the games industry, in my experience, though maybe a colossus like Activision is different. Usually you just can’t use on-the-clock hours or company equipment to work on your side project, and there’s a process to declare it in a contract as a personal project that doesn’t belong to your employer.

My 1996 employment agreement with Blizzard did not give them rights to anything I did in my spare time. Later versions did state any work done was the property of the company. That’s the case at Amazon as well.

Both Activision Blizzard and Amazon have a process where you can submit a proposal for a project you want to do to Legal. They’ll review and approve it - or not. Sometimes they have requirements, like first right of refusal to publish the game.