The thread about techno-utopianism, big data, Silicon Valley, and the evil they do

We need a thread like this, and we don’t have one.

Let’s get this ball rolling with a report from Time that:

The pro-immigration reform group backed by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is launching an ad campaign against Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King, accusing him of “attacks on American soldiers and the military” for his staunchly anti-reform stance.

The broadcast and digital ad buy in Iowa features King’s comments from an interview with Breitbart News saying he would oppose efforts to allow illegal immigrants brought to the United States as children, so-called DREAMers, to gain permanent residency by joining the military. “As soon as they raise their hand and say ‘I’m unlawfully present in the United States,’ we’re not going to take your oath into the military, but we’re going to take your deposition and we have a bus for you to Tijuana,” King said.

“Instead of supporting our military, Steve King, a Republican member of Congress, insults the brave soldiers who are immigrants and those who would proudly serve,” the ad says. “Steve King’s attacks on American soldiers and the military is wrong.”

Do not be fooled. This is a clear case of attacking one thing to attack another. The Zuckerbergians could not care less about the US Military or American soldiers (and if I’m wrong and they do care about the US Military or American soldiers, it’s even worse, for there is no more infectious breeding ground for techno-fuckery than the military). But they do want that immigration reform that would bring lots and lots of cheap immigrant workers to Silicon Valley. But it is a good strategy for the Zuckerbergians: pretend that Congressman King is making America weak in the hope of rallying to their cause all the anti-immigration rednecks, because what American redneck would want to weaken America?

(The ad itself can be found here.)

The Zuckerbergians could not care less about the US Military or American soldiers (and if I’m wrong and they do care about the US Military or American soldiers, it’s even worse, for there is no more infectious breeding ground for techno-fuckery than the military).

It must be great to always believe that even if you’re wrong, you’re right, huh?

It’s called hedging one’s bets, old boy. I expect DARPA to make frequent appearances in this thread.

Why would they care?

With those kinds of organizations (military/CIA/NSA/etc., and their equivalents abroad), they think that whatever shit they do is always excused by the flag it’s wrapped in, so they won’t care. That doesn’t mean we can’t criticize them.

I’d love to live in a simple world. Unfortunately, WE are the reason that will never happen.

I’m confused, is this an immigration thread?

Hell if I know. I’m just here for the free drinks.

I’d like to know what you have on tap?..I like a good IPA.

IPAs are indeed awesome. That reminds me. I need to start up a new batch of homebrew…

Do we?

I think that’s the royal “we.”

It’s closer to the way it was used by my old boss: when he said “we”, he meant “you”. (Except when it was time to accept compliments; then he said “I”.)

None of us care what you think we need.

I am 100% surprised that you have ever been paid for a day’s work. Though “boss” isn’t just your nickname for your parole officer/social worker, right?

Ha. Ha. Well, obviously not in the tech industry. I’m from a blue-collar background and have little patience for the tech sector.

techno-utopianism

People apparently do believe in this. Technology will set you free?

I don’t see what it can do to change human nature.

Ah political correctness, where would you be without that good English-language concept!

Do you know where games companies are going, Vetanarias? That’s right, Canada. Why? Because they can tap the global talent pool.

IL - Sure! Let’s take one example - Free Software/Copyleft. The web would be a very different place without it.

(Some people overhype, true, but there /are/ examples!)

Germ line modification. Soon.

What use would lots of cheap immigrant workers be to Silicon Valley? Don’t they need clever and preferably experienced people who would command a good salary wherever they came from?