The Thread just about the Leaks of the scale of NSA snooping

What if all countries have ninjas, but only the japanese ones are poor at hiding? You can’t disprove the room is not full of undetectable ninjas.

This post has brightened my whole day :D

I think the Japanese would not sit well knowing their Ninja’s are poor at hiding compared to others, it would be a huge blow to their honour. Heads would roll.

Not if the ninjas are that bad, they wouldn’t. Maybe fingers.

Ginger - All well and good, but a security audit is still called for IMO.

Assuming you’re not talking about the ninjas, don’t look at me. I’m just passing on Gemalto’s statements as relevant news. I’m not evaluating them at all. I know jack shit about SIM security. Well, other than what I read in a Verge article the other day.

Oh I’m not poking you, I’m poking Gemalto and their “it’s okay, really” statement.

Is a audit one of these “feel good” things you do to make sure theres no japanese ninjas in the room? the ones you can detect.

Last week’s Last Week with John Oliver featured a face-to-face chat with Snowden.

I was watching the local news last night, and as often happens in the DC area, the commercial break was filled with a lot of political action-type of messages. These are usually “Hey, here’s this issue that is important, let your congressperson know that you oppose it! [sincerely, the corporations who will benefit from having you voice your opinions in the manner we just described]”. I don’t know if these are as prevalent elsewhere as they are around here… after all, all the congresspersons are “local” here to some degree.

Anyway, last night they were showing an ad that was urging Congress not to renew the Patriot Act… or at least not the parts dealing with the NSA’s phone records collections. That was vaguely interesting, since although this is an issue that affects all of us, there’s not a lot of money to be made or lost off of it, so I was a little surprised that someone financed an expensive ad. But when I saw who did, I was frankly floored: it was co-produced by the ACLU and the Tea Party Patriots… two groups almost at opposite ends of the political spectrum.

You can see the ad here. And here’s an article on it.

It’s one of the things I like aboout Rand Paul, he has often spoken against it. Too bad about his other policies…

It is amusing though to see the Tea Party work with, well, anyone. They don’t tend to play nice with others.

‘NSA programme: Bush-era powers expire as US prepares to roll back surveillance’:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/31/nsa-reform-senate-deal-as-patriot-act

Rand Paul did a filibuster thing (is just in the usa you can do this? I’ve not heard of such things in the uk for example) to allow this to happen, apparantly annoying plenty of his own party in the process. As much as i doubt i share with him on other issues, i got to agree with this one, we need a vast repeal of many of the ‘police state’ laws that have been passed during this ‘War on Terror’ era, too many hard won liberties have been given up, and as we can see in this case, it takes extreme action to undo that.

Well, his fillibuster was just grandstanding. The actual news is that you need 60 senators to agree on ending a fillibuster and their werent 60 of them. So a minority in the senate were able to stop the procedures until the time ran out. Which is a good thing, but we have plenty of other legislation in the US which will allow our guys to spy on people. Some of it will allow us to continue to do bulk collection.

I guarantee the NSA doesn’t let the expiration of one little law get in the way of their actions, whatever they may be. This is all just theater.

Julian Assange was correct not to go to Sweden it seems:

‘FBI demanded Scandinavian countries arrest Edward Snowden should he visit’:

The whistleblower will not travel to Norway next week to accept award after national broadcaster released letters US sent in 2013 requesting extradition.

The FBI demanded that Scandinavian countries arrest and extradite Edward Snowden if he flew to any of those countries and claimed asylum, newly released official documents reveal.

In the summer of 2013 the whistleblower had left his hotel in Hong Kong and was holed up in Moscow airport applying to various countries, including Norway, for asylum after leaking to the Guardian a massive cache of documents disclosing the shocking extent of US and British surveillance of digital communications.

Suspecting that Snowden might seek asylum in Scandinavia, the FBI wrote from the US embassy in Copenhagen to the police forces of Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland to inform them that the US Department of Justice had charged Snowden with theft and espionage, and issued a provisional warrant for his arrest, according to documents released by Norway’s national broadcaster NRK.

“The US Department of Justice is prepared to immediately draft the necessary paperwork to request the extradition of Snowden to the US from whichever country he travels to from Moscow,” the letter, dated 27 June, states. “The FBI expresses its gratitude … for any assistance that can be provided on this important matter.”

In a separate letter to the Norwegian foreign ministry on the same day, the US embassy in Oslo spelled out its request that the government of Norway should “effectuate the return of Mr Snowden to the United States by way of denial of entry, deportation, expulsion or other legal means”.

In a subsequent letter dated 4 July the embassy repeated its request that Snowden be arrested and extradited to the US under the 1977 extradition treaty between the two countries.

Snowden’s lawyer Ben Wizner told NRK he suspects that the US sent similar documents to most of Europe and other countries at the time.

Snowden has been invited to Norway next week to receive the Bjørnson Prize from the Norwegian Academy of Literature and Freedom of Expression, but he decided not to travel because he could not receive guarantees from the Norwegian government that he would not be extradited, the academy told NRK.

Edward Snowden is now on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Snowden

Meanwhile, a thousand people at Fort Meade just opened Twitter.

Check out which Twitter account he follows!

That’s a trap :)

These are falling like flies, but here is the Panorama bbc interview with Snowden from yesterday:

An interesting article that i guess fits here:

‘Obfuscation: how leaving a trail of confusion can beat online surveillance’:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/24/obfuscation-users-guide-for-privacy-and-protest-online-surveillance

I’m a big fan, have been from before i was using the internet, but it is a decent technique that can slow down the rate of data gathering and targeting we are all subject too these days.

‘Germany says it will (mostly) stop spying on EU citizens and institutions’:

I wonder if this will revert back to normal after the Paris attacks?