The Top Ten Games Of 2022 (so far) ...

What’s so special about Sniper Elite 5 that it’s on so many lists at the very top? What platform are you all playing on?

It’s just really solid semi-stealthy sniper action. A good single-player campaign, and the multiplayer is surprisingly accommodating for middle-aged reflexes. I’m playing on PC.

Games released this year that I will eventually play.

Sniper Elite 5……I love these games but they are really short for full price.

Horizon: Forbidden West….,The original was a lot of fun, but I will have to wait until it comes to PC.

What a wonderful list! I really love to see that you put The One Ring 2E that high, since I seem to recall you werent that impressed initially! We have yet to play it here ourselves, but I am very much looking forward to it.

1. Elden Ring. My love for it surpasses the rest combined.
  2. Rogue Legacy 2
  3. Citizen Sleeper
  4. Sniper Elite 5
  5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge

This is all I got…

Elden Ring
Elex 2
Dying Light 2
Pokémon Legends: Arceus
Rogue Legacy 2
Core Keeper

and these if they count…

Monster Hunter Rise (PC version, Sunbreak expansion)
Unexplored 2 (v1.0 and Steam release)
Old World (v1.0 and Steam release)

I’ve only played two new games this year:

Sniper Elite 5 - from the little I’ve played of it, it would definitely be at the top of my list. The environments are gorgeous, I’m really liking the level design and just how smooth the gameplay feels for me. No particular criticisms yet, but that’s largely because I’ve only played the first two missions, which are still huge.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus - yeah, I couldn’t really get into this game at first glance. Unfortunately, life got busy, so I gave it up. I’ll erase my limited progress (that was starting area) and try again. I do remember thinking if Pokemon games went in this direction, I’d probably play them again.

Good news is, the upcoming mainline games releasing later in the year (Scarlet and Violet) do look like they’re going in this same direction, if not even further!

That’s great news then, thank you. I never touched Pokemon Sword and Shield based on opinion from other people around me, though I’ll probably get them at some point anyway. Fact is, the Switch probably has the most promising line up of new games for me this year with Xenoblade and the Advance Wars 1+2 reboot. And now the new gen Pokemon games can be added to it too.

Also, I forgot to mention in my list I also played Total War: Warhammer 3. The fact I forgot to mention it says enough right now I guess.

Things I have played:

1. Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga
  2. Old World
  3. FF6 Pixel Remaster
  4. Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons
  5. Telepath Tactics Liberated
  6. Triangle Strategy

None of those below Old World, Anywhere but EGS Edition is going to be in consideration for the year-end top 5 unless I just don’t play anything in the back half. (Big gaps between 2 and 3, then between 4 and 5.) Which seems unlikely because after the Steam sale, I’m already sitting on a few more (including Gordian Quest and Mech Armada most notably). Vestaria 2, Xenoblade 3, and Trails from Zero are the most obvious candidates still to come.

What I’ve played and enjoyed enough to make this list follows (in the order of release using the wiki as a guide).

Total War Warhammer III
Horizon Forbidden West
Elden Ring
Triangle Strategy
Shiren the Wanderer Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate (Switch)
Roguebook (Switch)
King Arthur A Knight’s Tale
Rogue Legacy 2
Warhammer 40K Chaos Gate

Special Mention to Symphony of War, which I purchased and I’m eager to play but haven’t started yet.

I didn’t love The One Ring 2E initially, and I’ve still got complaints about it (I’ll never stop griping about the need for custom dice) but two things saved the game for me.

First, I very much like the way the journey is the meat of the game. The rules for mapping and journaling your travels are great. I think they neatly capture the way the adventures are chronicled in the Tolkien books. A lot of modern tabletop RPGs don’t stress travel. That’s the “boring” part of adventure according to many games, but I think otherwise, especially if we’re talking about brave hobbits finally striking out past the borders of the Shire.

Second, the Strider Mode rules for solo play, (written by our very own @BiggerBoat) are wonderful. They take his Ironsworn experience and knowledge and meld them to the gentler, pastoral world of Middle Earth. They work quite well with the travel rules above.

It’s not my favorite TTRPG, but I think it’s got its charms and I’m happy to continue looking into any supplemental products Modiphius outs out.

Good one! Having a blast playing this co-op on the PS5.

At the start of the year I began tracking the games I’m playing in a Notion page (Notion is a kind of super-wiki) based off this template:

I recommend it. If you sign up for Notion and make a personal page, you can duplicate the template into your page and then start adding games!

Here’s what mine looks like

It seems I bought 19 games released in 2022, but I haven’t played enough of half of them, so my list will be (for now):

1. Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream
  2. Elden Ring (I haven’t played much, but I love the little I’ve played)
  3. Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
  4. Monster Hunter Rise
  5. Rogue Legacy 2
  6. Hardspace: Shipbreaker
  7. Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade
  8. Old World
  9. Gordian Quest
  10. Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons

The other games I haven’t played enough of to really have an informed opinion (though Death Stranding Director’s Cut is almost guaranteed to be in my top 5 of the year anyway, since I loved the non-DC game so much):

• Death Stranding Director’s Cut
  • Distant Worlds 2
  • Samurai Bringer
  • Dorfromantik
  • Citizen Sleeper
  • Unexplored 2: The Wayfarer’s Legacy
  • Neon White
  • Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course
  • Stacklands
  • God of War

Looks like I’m at all of 5 games actually released 1.0 in 2022. So here’s my top 5 so far!

1. Gran Turismo 7
  2. Symphony of War
  3. Dorfromantik
  4. Stacklands(may end up higher, literally just started playing it today).
  5. Lost Ark

I’ve only played through a small amount of 2022 releases (excluding EA titles). So my somewhat short list is (in order).

1. Recursive Ruin - really got a kick out of the aesthetic here, probably gonna be my GOTY at this rate
  2. Forgive me Father - enjoyed this a fair bit even tho it was a bit unbalanced and ez
  3. Citizen Sleeper - perhaps a bit too forgiving in terms of gameplay mechanics, but as a VN I enjoyed the setting and endings. Didn’t quite develop a meaningful connection with the other characters in the story, though.
  4. Nightmare Reaper - didn’t excite me as much as I hoped but I had fun blasting around in it until I sorta ran out of steam
  1. Elden Ring
  2. Everything else can get lost

I also played a little Dying Light and Horizon Forbidden Whatever, but I found them kind of dull and unacceptably full of boring cutscenes even before Elden Ring came and showed me it doesn’t have to be that way.

I have GT7 and Tiny Tina waiting for me once Elden Ring is done, but boy, ER is a longie.

I have this but haven’t really dug into the mechanics, but aren’t the dice just regular d6 and d12 with the 11 and 12 having icons instead of numbers?

I played other games in 2022, but Elden Ring is the only one I sunk almost 100 hours into and it is amazing. I did have to put it on hold though, because it’s too big, and I don’t want to burn out on it.