The Trump Administration and Syria

But he’s wearing a #MAGA hat. So that makes it a strategery outing. Totally legit.

Ever wonder why they only launched 59 Tomahawks, and not 60? Ever wish that last one were kept in reserve for … something?

That last Tomahawk is being used as a hobby horse for the youngest Trump child, in the play room.

While it’s edging into conspiracy theory land, I’m really questioning whether this is true.

The attack was pretty minimal, and the Russians stationed there were able to not only leave, but actually remove material. No real damage was done. Strategically it was insignificant.

But it gives this impression that the Trump and Putin are fighting… But it feels like this is just for show. It just gives cover for the fact that Trump is so tied to Russia. And there don’t seem to be any real plans to do real stuff in Syria.

We know the Russians were stationed at that base, which means we know they were aware the syrians were loading chemical weapons onto the planes. It’s almost impossible that they could have been unaware given the size of the facility.

It feels like the chemical attack was basically just designed as an excuse for Trump to do a fairly trivial response.

Syria is murdering is own people every day with horrific weapons. The chemical weapons are really no worse than shit like barrel bombs. But by doing this, Syria gave Trump the ability to say, “THAT is too far! The line is chemical weapons! But look! I’m willing to respond and be tough! Clearly I am not owned by Putin, because he doesn’t like this! He likes Assad!”

But it then provides cover for doing nothing else. As long as Assad doesn’t use chemical weapons again, he’s cool. Putin can keep doing his thing there. And it boosts Trump’s popularity, while giving him cover for his Russian connections.

Like I said, edging into conspiracy theory stuff… But it fits, and it really isn’t that complex.

Compared to Ron Paul’s Conspiracy Fun Hour it’s pretty damned tame.

And it isn’t like a lot of conservatives aren’t mostly saying the same thing.
Also golfing. I can’t see this as some major change when the dude is out playing a few rounds right afterwards, which means it isn’t serious. He did it to divert attention. Now whether or not Putin was in on it, that remains to be seen, but considering we did basically nothing and it serves both their interests, it isn’t a massive stretch to think that way.

Trump prefers the personal touch.

We have boosted our economy by having a 60 cruise missile deficit that will need to be replaced. That’s 70 mil or so, right? Jobs for america, MAGA, amirite?

BREAKING: Trump implements his own version of FDR’s public works program, only instead of paying for people to dig holes and then fill them in, he uses Tomahawk cruise missiles to blast them in the ground.

DUMB is the right word.

Wouldn’t say that. They did a fine job of giving Trump the finger.

https://twitter.com/th3j35t3r/status/850870284634730496

Hopefully he’s wrong for once?

Jeebus, let’s freaking hope so.

https://twitter.com/th3j35t3r/status/850889143202836480

Car bomb, followed by likely ISIL attack, so no invasiony stuff.

I sincerely hope that in the, um, unfortunate event of US troops entering Syria, we damn well do it with more than a couple dozen vehicles…

The rumor is that Jordanian troops with US support rescued a unit of rebels that was surrounded by ISIS just over the Jordan/Syria border in the Daraa region. The only thing we do know for certainty is that yes, ISIS used a car bomb and just recently (late night local time on 4/7) a US-flagged vehicle carrier put in at Aqaba (Jordan’s port city) and unloaded … something.

Yes, I imagine the borders of Syria are, shall we say, rather porous these days, at least going in.

I assumed we had a dud. The military wouldn’t announce stuff like that for a number of reasons. 59 seems such an odd number anyway.

They US military did announce a missile failure, but they had amended that from two failures, apparently. Russia claims only 23 landed on target, but they would say that. Either way, it was a ludicrously expensive gesture, not a real military action.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-officials-tell-russia-to-drop-its-support-for-syrias-assad/2017/04/09/c179d3ba-4713-440b-8192-a2838019554d_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_tillerson-645pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.090a2f565e6d

Well, it sounds like the Kushner regime is running the show.

If so, that is some Trump Optimism thread there, as that looks a lot more like the traditional GOP we are used to.

Also, lets cut this shit out right now.

Seriously. You can’t complain about breitbart articles and Fox News anchors spouting garbage with no evidence, and go on and do the exact same thing.