The Venture Brothers

I don’t know, I was giggling at “And ,look, Dean is lactating too!”

“Oh, come on. Big Foot doesn’t have anything you haven’t seen before.”

“Big Foot IS something I haven’t seen before!”[/quote]

I just guffawed.

I don’t know, I was giggling at “And ,look, Dean is lactating too!”[/quote]

They get a point for that. But the “Gee these kids are stupid” thing is going to get old real fast…

The Cockpits! Booby Traps! on-air ads are pretty funny though.

Last nights episode was good.

“Nooooooo, isn’t the cold war over!?!?!!”

“It’s always cold in Siberia.”

“Excuse me. I have something to take care of.”

Last night’s episode also hammered home the point that Brock Samson is the source of 80% of that show’s funny, with the other 15% coming from the villains and the remaining 5% coming from Dr. Venture and the boys.

DVD is out. Picked it up a few days ago, haven’t really checked out all the features yet. This is a DVD worth grabbing just to show support and encourage future seasons IMO.

Some of the commentaries are hilarious. Especially finding out which of the male characters on the show the creators would have sex with, and why.

Season 2 starts this Sunday I believe, it kind of snuck up on me and caught me off guard, so posting here to let everyone else know as well.

I saaw the first few eps today at a buddy’s house. Don’t see what the big deal is - it had a few moments here and there where I laughed out loud but that was it.

There are some people who enjoy laughing.

Hey I like funny as much as the next guy - and they were amusing. But they weren’t nearly as funny as some folks have built 'em up to be. 1-2 solid laughs per episode at best, which isn’t that great compared to something like Arrested Development or Scrubs (earlier seasons)

I find The Venture Bros to be both smart and funny. It’s not a show simply about the big laughs. Also there are a lot of riffs on stuff from the Fantastic Four to the Six Million Dollar man, all rapped up in the overiding riff on Johny Quest. Some of the humor really is better served if you’ve watched these older shows. I think VB still works really well without any knowledge of the old shows, the Six Million Dollar man bit is still funny even if you’ve never seen the bionic man fight big foot in the old show for instance.

You know what? Most cartoons these days are just a bunch of run on references, or badly animated (even if they’re funny), VB is an actual cartoon with good character design, and high quality TV animation. It’s nice to see something with the quality of The Tick find a home, because it’s been a while.

It’s all about who you watch them with…for instance, I’m sure if I watched with, say, jeffd, I’d be incredibly uncomfortable since he wasn’t enjoying it as much as I was, and then you have the “you showed me crap when you promised funny” anxiety thing. But everyone I’ve watched it with has busted a rib or two, and it gets better the more I spread it around. This was a great DVD purchase, and I get a lot more mileage out of it than I do out of my (still great but not as rewatchable) AD or Scrubs seasons.

Awesome start. The 14 Dean and Hanks, Doc’s drug addled quest to find himself, Monarchs prison machinations and shenanigans, the henchmen support group, Doc’s kid sidekick forgotten in an abandoned wing of the lab, etc. That episode was jam packed with goodness.

It’s like he’s the difference between Simpsons fans and Futurama fans incarnate. Spooky.

fwiw I love Futurama. Simpsons can suck it. :D

Anyway, I’ll give it another shot - maybe I just wasn’t in a comedy mood or something. Or maybe the early episodes just aren’t as good. They were certainly getting better - I think the last episode I watched (the one where the professor is having a yard sale and all the villians show up) had me laughing pretty constantly.

I thought it started really slow. I think they recast Jonas Jr, which is a bummer. The teleporter schtick wasn’t that funny, but the stuff about how the previous Hank and Dean’s died, and the Monarch’s escape attempt, complete with prison contraband wings and wrist darts and King Gorilla’s farewell, all had me rolling.

Watched it and when Brock tells the doctor to stop it already and tell him (Orpheus) about what is going on with Hank and Dean. I started laughing and pretty much couldn’t stop.

This was a great season opener, but I’m a little annoyed that the plot outright cheats to hide the big reveal at the end. It starts out with Brock and Dr. Venture distraught over the death of the boys, and then at the end they’re laughing about it.

So should I just dismiss this as sloppy writing, or instead wonder what Dr. Venture was really upset about?

Dr. Venture doesn’t really care about his kids in the least. They are more of an annoying responsibility then beloved children. Dr. Venture is a pretty warped character.

I have not seen the new season shows yet, but my favorite from the old one is when the monarch is on trial. Mecha-Sheba and Tiny Attorney were awsome.

My favorite character is Dr. Orpheous. It would rock if he had his own show.