The Venture Brothers

Brock going on hiatus was a good idea. He’ll be back to kick ass after his personal issues have been sorted out and it will be awesome. Like Luke Skywalker or Neo or some other Messiah-inspired character, but driving a Dodge charger with blood on windshield wipers with the 8-track blaring Led Zeppelin.

I actually really enjoy the narrative power the show is getting from the absence of Brock, and it will make his return all that much sweeter.

Also, I’m pretty sure the Marriage fell apart during the grind of Season 1.

The last episode of 4.1 proved to be the best so far. It had the ghost of 24 and Brock which both helped immensely. Just a great episode, good enough to make the wait for more painful…

“This is like Christmas, my first BMX bike, and meeting the cast of Firefly all rolled into one!”

Maybe it’s just that I’m actually getting more of them, but I’m spotting significantly more pop-culture references in the last few episodes. Loved last week’s “You, uh, dropped your dino damage,” and “Why don’t you and Brundle-fly here go work out your issues.”

Man, that was almost “JLA Divided We Fall” satisfying. This should silence the naysayers.

This was definitely the best episode this season, but I’m still disappointed overall. I swear to God they just have to have a couple characters become focal points that really shouldn’t be (the SPHINX sailor dude, Hatred).

I totally want a HENCH4LIFE tattoo.

So the resolution to Monstroso’s legal maneuvering was to… beat him up?

I guess there’s so reason we can’t have #24 as an actual bonafide ghost, since they’ve already established that ghosts exist in the Venture Bros universe.

I think odds are Monstroso is dead given the amount of blood on Brock in the end.

We are still unable to watch the show. Every damned episode this season has horrific audio corruption–sound cuts out ever few seconds for a second or two, making it pretty much impossible to understand anything that anyone is saying. It only happens with this show–we can record other stuff on the same channel with no problems. And actually, the commercials during the show are fine, so I don’t think it has anything to do with us. It’s really starting to piss me off, though.

Good episode. A little too much business for my taste, but solid writing.

You really need to brush up on your Guild by-laws.

I dunno, I think I get enough of this joke every time Dr. Girlfriend is in a scene.

It’s about that time to keep your eyes peeled for this year’s Venture Brothers Christmas song. Who knows if they’re even going to do one this year, but I wouldn’t say no to Sgt. Hatred trying to sing “Little Drummer Boy”.

My favorite in the last five years–wow, five years already!–was 2007’s Monarch and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch covering Fairytale of New York.

I’m partial to the “best song ever written by chill dren”.

Season 4.5 coming in september!

If they start off by killing Sgt Hatred, consider my enthusiasm rekindled.

I’m not against that. At this point I’ve made my peace with the Sgt Hatred character. I just hope we will be seeing less of him.

Haters gotta Hatred.

Agreed, probably best to consider Hatred as simply being just “there.” Presumably, creators feel he brings a more moral, and more human element to the Venture clan now that Brock has moved on; otherwise, Dr. Venture, Dean, and Hank are all arguably self-centered, neurotic characters who aren’t very likeable by themselves.

Monarch becoming Marvel’s Green Goblin is intriguing, though the Spiderman-who-shoots-webs-from-his-ass seems like it would be a pretty one-note gag. Anyone recognize if those scenes are referencing old Spiderman cartoon from the 1960’s, or a later version?

Continued character development (Henchman 21 hitting on Dr. Girlfriend, the SPHINX group, etc.) seems consistent with last season, but hopefully new episodes will just be more consistently funny this time around. Last season, funny seemed to take backseat to character development…ideally, the two wouldn’t be mutually exclusive.

Buh? Hatred is pretty much defined by pedophilia and violent sobbing.

Violent sobbing, pining for his ex-wife, etc… Character is vulnerable, but admits it. Pedophilia is more window dressing for cheap jokes at this point.

Without Hatred, you would be left with nothing but Rusty (who has become completely unsympathetic at this point), Hank (who is still bonkers crazy and has a new haircut, but nobody likes him, still), and Dean, who apparently some young convention-going girls find to be dreamy, but is otherwise too prissy and has become an increasingly snooty superscientist-in-training.

Dean is most sympathetic member of Venture clan and even he isn’t all that relateable.

For better or for worse, Hatred is closest thing to a conscience the group has (fact that he’s a recovering alcoholic/pedophile is supposed to be telling) and has also mobilized them to action in the past. Without Hatred, Rusty wouldn’t have had the direction or drive to try to rescue the “kidnapped” Hank in the Captain Sunshine episode, for instance.

Would prefer to have Brock come back full-time but that just doesn’t seem in the cards.