The war on marijuana

Holy crap thats a real show!!! Watching now! (sober alas).

Okay, full disclosure, that show is flipping awesome. My girlfriend and I refer to the pot consultant dude as professor pot. He’s like a walking encyclopedia of new-age marijuana use.

Of course, this is coming from someone that likes cooking shows.

EDIT for those not aware, it’s a very good-natured show where actual chefs are introduced to cooking with cannabis in multiple ways to see what sort of dishes they can come up with.

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/show/bong-appetit-tv

Thanks for the tip! My wife and I just watched a few of them. Very good show!

Doritos fans are way ahead of you already.

It is an interesting concept though. Mass produced cigarettes have a whole bunch of additives. To make them burn even when we don’t smoke them. Sherman’s Cigarettellos don’t have this additive and will go out in an ashtray. A mass produced cigarette can be used as a timed fuse. It takes approximately 15 minutes to burn down.

They add glycerin as a sweetener. Also they will add nicotine in the pure form to make them more addictive. That said, they also completely denature some of the stems and byproducts of real tobacco, so called “sweepings” to use as filler.

So I don’t see why ‘big marijuana’ wouldn’t go the same way.

Thus the reason to purchase higher end versions or pure bud.

I kinda wish that were a real thing. 90+ percent of edibles I’ve seen are sweet related. The savory/salty majority must get better representation.

Unintended consequence of an amazing marketing campaign for oxycontin, where doctors were told the drug was safe, non habit forming, and amazingly effective. There’s a of stories out there about doctors cutting off people’s supply that they got for problems like chronic back pain, and the person not being able to afford buying it illegally on the street. Turns out heroin also does the job, is cheaper, and even more risky.

Purdue Pharma, the company that planted the seeds of the opioid epidemic through its aggressive marketing of OxyContin, has long claimed it was unaware of the powerful opioid painkiller’s growing abuse until years after it went on the market.

But a copy of a confidential Justice Department report shows that federal prosecutors investigating the company found that Purdue Pharma knew about “significant” abuse of OxyContin in the first years after the drug’s introduction in 1996 and concealed that information.

Company officials had received reports that the pills were being crushed and snorted; stolen from pharmacies; and that some doctors were being charged with selling prescriptions, according to dozens of previously undisclosed documents that offer a detailed look inside Purdue Pharma. But the drug maker continued “in the face of this knowledge” to market OxyContin as less prone to abuse and addiction than other prescription opioids, prosecutors wrote in 2006.

Physicians can have a habit of telling patients it’s in their head when they tell a physician they’re having a problem with a drug that’s not on the list too. Perhaps they should shift away from taking the drug company’s word for it and really pay attention to what is going on in front of them. I’m not blaming it all on the physician, but I’ve seen a physician or two flat out ignore what patient said only to later have the drug pulled because it was, in fact, doing what the patient said.

I have had some really unpleasant experiences with medical professionals (mostly nurses, tbh) not believing me when I say a med isn’t working or that I’m experiencing some side effect that they haven’t personally seen before.

Being put on pain meds that do nothing but make you nauseous, and then an anti-nausea med to control that which also does nothing, while recovering from pretty damn invasive surgery: not recommended.

Fuck that one nurse in particular. I hope she enjoyed cleaning up all the vomit. Grr.

Utah declared war on marijuana after voters approved a Proposition legalizing medical cannabis. Usually Propositions like this one go through and become law without many problems. As soon as polls showed this was going to pass last summer, the Mormon church and it’s huge amount of political influence in the state sent letters to be read in every congregation (Mormons make up over half the voters in the state) saying it was a bad idea. Popularity in polls started dropping, and the Church along with legislators who opposed it got together with some of the people behind the Proposition and came up with a Compromise that gutted the Prop. As soon as voters said yes to the Proposition, the Utah Legislature held a special session and basically said “Voters don’t know what they’re doing, we’re coming up with a new plan based on the compromise”.

They got rid of some of the medical problems that were covered, made it so every doctor could only recommend cannabis to a certain number of patients (required to get a medical card), and made the dispensaries state controlled, just like our liquor stores in the state are run by the government.

Commentary by the former Salt Lake City mayor and a lawyer who is going after them.

This changes nothing for me (I don’t smoke anything), and I am not sure how a business can choose between state and federal laws but… they’re looking.

Cannabis aside, any group able to do that when a majority of your state votes for something should be fought tooth and nail and taken to court over that.

Federal statutes are part of the problem. It gives them a leg to stand on, and honestly until it changes federally, there isn’t anything a worker could do. Many companies don’t care about state laws in reference to drug testing, at all.

As an example of why though, I work for a heavy equipment construction company. At any time, HR can request you to drug test and you can be fired for traces of drugs or alcohol. Think about that, even alcohol. BUT, think of the flip side of that, which is someone perhaps using something like a hydraulic press or forklift and seriously injuring themselves or others because they are under the influence of something. For that reason, drug testing will probably never go away.

That being said, why couldn’t someone use legal recreational drugs on the weekend? And that’s the problem. It’s good to see the lawmakers considering that. I’ve read, Nesrie, that a big issue with cannabis is how to test for it, short term. Drug testing is really good at spotting recent use, but not as good as differentiating say, last weekend, versus two hours before work. The same with operation of a motor vehicle.

Of course the question is, how often does HR surprise drug test the executive team? I think the answer is never.

I think it’s reasonable to test people for current intoxication levels under some circumstances for some jobs — precisely because you don’t want intoxicated people operating dangerous equipment — but drug testing for traces of recreational use ‘off duty’ as a condition of employment is an abusive employment practice, and I think that sort of thing should be illegal.

Thing is, it IS illegal to test say government officials because it violates their right to privacy.

But somehow it doesn’t for regular people?

As far as I know, this is correct. That being said, we did have an office employee tested and fired about 3 years ago because they apparently smelled very strongly of marijuana when returning from lunch. It was also a low level employee within the office, so there’s that. Still, that was 3 years ago. Even in that short amount of time, a lot has changed legally throughout the US.

I’d be interested to hear how, say, McDonald’s handles employee drug policies in legal states.

I’m guessing they don’t care about the law and drug test employees as they always did. I know from my own experience that companies are addicted to the idea that they need to drug test at least new hires for even the most menial or simple jobs.

Thank goodness for a shortage in my field that makes us de facto immune to abusive bullshit like drug testing.

Like, technically, my employment agreement stipulates that I can be drug tested and fired for a positive at any time (I live in a right to be fired state anyway but moving on).

The reality is that if my employer started doing that to engineers, they would not only lose a bunch of talent that they’ve painstakingly built up over the last few years, but they’d have an impossible time recruiting new talent to replace it.

And it’s not like the sexiness of working for a large retail chain is going to make up for it.

This is, quite honestly, the issue with white collar vs blue collar mentioned above. The lower on the totem pole the worker sits, the more easily HR can use a drug test firing for getting rid of an employee, at least without repercussions of workload, new hire and training.

Totally agree. I’m just not a good enough person to not be thankful for my own situation while supporting change.

Funny how workers suddenly get treated like people when you can’t just dangle a paycheck, any paycheck, out there and have desperate people lining up for it.