The washer and dryer thread

The one we looked at was 5 years. Yeah, everyone loves their speed queen around here, but none of the recent reviews are good.

Damn even wirecutter got in on the news last year. I was out of the loop!

A commenter there recommends Huebsch.

http://www.huebsch.com/

If you can find out which wire is loose just resolder it if you have a free afternoon. Boards should be easy like a computer (the plugs even look like power supply molexes). What’s hard is mechanical stuff like locks and stuff.

(Mine has a similar problem, a friendly repair guy told me I could just solder it myself. If he did it, sears makes him just sell the entire board which was gonna be way too much money.)

The technician noted that the board was badly burnt.

Ouch no, that’s bad then. Mine is something that kinda works when I jiggle or replace the molex.

Had that happen once on a dish washing machine… German roaches colonized and died en masse…

Ours works 25% of the time.

Damn disappointing to find this out today.

Yeah. I was looking at Maytags, because they are on sale at Lowe’s. Some really cheap ones with good reviews, but almost all will cost more in the long run due to the amount of water and energy they use,compared to front loaded washing machines.

I went with an LG washer and dryer since it’s the Wirecutter’s recommendation. Three years in, so far so good.

My wife wants a Top Loading washing machine, and their top rated top loading washing machine is almost 900.00 at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-4-5-cu-ft-High-Efficiency-Front-Load-Washer-with-Steam-and-TurboWash-in-Graphite-Steel-ENERGY-STAR-WM3770HVA/300036914?irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-197432-456723-&clickid=Qf8SCawe%3AxyJRk-0ElylqXhuUklxIt0hRUR0Ss0

It does come with some rebates.

I’m looking for something a little less.

Our 10 year old GE front load washer had been stopping at the end of the rinse cycle for months. It wouldn’t shut off, it would just pause for no reason. I tried cleaning out all the drain lines and trap, ran several cleaning cycles, tried resetting the control board by powering it down and unplugging for 24 hours, then running the diagnostic mode, then rebooting it again…etc., etc… Sometimes it would suddenly start working again, but most of the time we had to go downstairs when the machine would stop, turn the knob manually to Spin Cycle, and start it back up again to finish the load.

Paid $60 to have a tech come look at it, and it has a bad controller board. $450 was the quote to replace. NOPE.

My wife hated the front load and wanted to switch back to top load. While the convenience of the front load was undeniable, they are way more work to keep clean, and ours would occasionally get a slimy moldy build up around the gaskets that would leave streaks on clothes, so we’d need to wipe down everything and rewash loads of laundry. Not cool.

After much Wirecutter and Consumer Reports research, we settled on the Whirlpool Cabrio WTW7000D, a large 4.8 cu foot high efficiency top loader that received good reviews from every source I could find. LG and Whirlpool are apparently the top brands to buy these days, as GE quality seems to have fallen off in recent years. I paid about $600 total for our new one, including delivery, installation with new hoses and haul away of the old washer.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/whirlpool-cabrio-4-8-cu-ft-26-cycle-high-efficiency-top-loading-washer-white/3073138.p?skuId=3073138

So far so good! Several weeks in and clothes are coming out perfectly. It’s also quieter than our old model (which I would expect from technology a decade later), but has all the same bells and whistles, including literal bells/whistles that play a tune when the washer is finished.

This LG was also at the top of my list, but at over $200 more for not a whole lot more features/capacity, I just couldn’t pull the trigger. It would have been cool to have the app on my phone tell me when my laundry was done though!

Looks like it’s 569.00 on Lowe’s. And I have a 50 dollar coupon. And 4.8 might be big enough for the 4 of us.

Thanks for the heads up. Actually, thanks everyone for all the help!

One thing to note about new top loaders is that they are deep and some women or shorter men find them uncomfortable to use because they’re so tall vs deep they need to use a stool to be able to reach to the bottom.

We have had a top load for a while, and my wife is relatively tall for a women. Plus, I am half Dutch, so you know our kids will be too .

Plus if the thing springs a leak you can just get one of them to pop their finger in the hole and make it stop.

Granted that I am not a washing machine connoisseur (our washing machine and dryer are the used-appliance variety, purchased from a nice man who showed up himself in a white panel van to install them), but front-loading washing machines have always seemed like a bad idea to me from an engineering perspective.

I laughed. :-)

You are all terrible people! But I too laughed.

Oddly enough, that story isn’t original from the Netherlands and isn’t widely told in the Netherlands.

Eight years ago I bought the cheapest pair of washers I could find because I needed some after my ex wife got them in the divorce. I got the Ingliss brand or whatever it is.

Been rock solid for 8 years. I had to have someone in to change a part in the dryer, but I have long gotten my money’s worth on them.

If it wasn’t for kids, I would go super cheap. In the end, I got the Whirlpool one recommended. With the 50 dollar coupon, I was able to get it from Lowe’s for just under 560 (all in). Hopefully this one will last a bit longer.