The Wii U Owners Topic

I definitely do wonder what the Wii U’s fate would have been if a game like Breath of the Wild appeared in 2013.

Me too. I guess I have two points. One, Nintendo didn’t take advantage of the Wii U. If, like me, you bought the Wii U primarily for certain flagship titles you are going to be disappointed in your purchase. For the rest of you, I am glad you found other games that you liked.

Two, if I had a crystal ball (and patience, which I don’t) I would not have picked up the Wii U. Especially now that Lego Undercover is coming to the PC. I am not used to being disappointed by Nintendo.

That’s it. Obviously quite a few people love their Wii U. That’s cool.

[quote=“kerzain, post:1097, topic:71015, full:true”]
How were you guys connecting your Wiis to your TVs? Wii didn’t put out a crisp image because the default connector were RCA/composite cables or something, and the upgrade cable at the time were merely “HDTV” Component cables. Now days you can special order third party HDMI adapter cables, but if you’re comparing Wii’s default cable to WiiU’s default, you’ll find that the Wii doesn’t put out a crisp image due to cable limitations. And yes, these types of limitations actually help many older games look better, much how many older games look best on CRT screens because of the inherent fuzziness.
[/quote]To clarify, I am saying that Wii games played on the Wii U through the built in emulator do not look as good as when played on their native platform (I think Richard is saying the same). My Wii has been hooked up through component from the beginning and has always looked (relatively) great. Again, I don’t really care about visual fidelity for some games, and the convenience of just throwing the disc in the Wii U that has most of the Wiimotes paired to it is a trump card. But there are some games, including Xenoblade Chronicles, that I want the best picture possible, and, to get that, I play them on the Wii.

Well, I did buy my Wii U primarily for certain flagship titles and was largely satisfied, but clearly they are different ones to yours (basically Pikmin, 3D Mario, Zelda and Paper Mario). For me, only Paper Mario disappointed (at least from the reviews - I never actually bought it because of them). Splatoon was a very pleasant surprise.

Huh. I can understand being disappointed by the Wii-U, but most “core” gamers have been disappointed to some degree with Nintendo’s home consoles since at least the Gamecube.I’m struggling to imagine being delighted with the Gamecube and disappointed with the Wii-U. Unless you really like F Zero, I guess.

Dolphin Emulator
Getting it working is half the fun though.

Seriously I don’t need much. Metriod & Zelda would do it. Everything else is icing on the cake.

Yeah, exactly. The half I decided not to deal with since I have the native platform. However, I understand it’s an excellent option for those that don’t.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I also keep my OG Wii hooked up for Gamecube support. That is, until I hooked up my Gamecube recently to play GBA games on my television. It’s beginning to look like a console museum around here. :)

I own everything and still have a working Gamecube as well but the emulator made me box them all up for the garage. The improvements in graphical quality, especially on something like Xenoblade, are just amazing. Plus save states!

But yeah, if you don’t like tinkering with emulators, ripping discs, and following their highly technical progress reports it’s not going to be worth it.

You have no idea what a gaming museum is like until you’ve got everything from NES to Current hooked up in your house. I have three TVs with consoles attached to them. Living room is Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC (Alienware Alpha), Wii U. Bedroom is PS3 and Xbox 360. Game room is NES, SEGA Genesis CDX, SNES, Neo Geo, SEGA Saturn, N64, SEGA Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube and Nintendo Wii.

I also have various handhelds lying around. GBA in OG and SP form, PSP, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Nintendo DS fat, DS Lite, DSi, and a New 3DS XL. I’m out of room for games. I either need to get rid of some kids or get a bigger house. lol!

Yes, that’s my point. The native platform looks better because of the cables. Unless your WiiU is connected via component cables, the image will be much sharper, and “worse” looking.

I’m not listening! I can’t hear you! La la LA!

I bow to the Master.

Ah. Would that account for it being darker, too? There was, I’d say, a 20% drop in general lighting on the WiiU.

Unfortunately, I don’t know enough to say what would make them darker other than emulation.

My dream is a home theater with a false wall behind the screen and a hidden door so I can store all the old consoles and work on them easily. Racks and racks of them. Controller cabling will be an issue though, hrm.

What’s your problem? You can have all of the above, for free, if you already own the game!

You just have to sacrifice a minimum of 50% of your planned gaming time to deal with setup, configuration, and the endless tweaking.

Bleh, so much clutter!

The sad thing is I had no use for consoles until Dark Souls sent me into this beat 'em up phase. I’ve considered buying a PS3 for Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I already bought God Hand and Demon’s Souls on PSN to play on a friend’s PS3, so I’d have those three. Then Bloodborne and Nioh on PS4 and three Platinum games on WiiU.

The problem is I almost never go back to replay games, so I have to ask myself if I really want to keep all those plastic boxes in my house. I guess the tradeoff is I’ll never play any previous gen games no matter what anyone says, so at least there’s a limit.

I’ve been gaming hardcore since the Odyssey 100 Pong landed in our home. There was a time I did a lot of trading in and that sort of thing because money was tighter, but I stopped doing that around the dawn of the PS2 era and actively went back and collected things from prior gens until I felt I had most of what I really loved. That’s a lot of games, and I still collect stuff now and then. My kids call it “The Inheritance”. Heh.

I dunno… I play things emulated also on current machines through Virtual Console and the like and while that’s the easy option, nothing ever beats playing on original hardware. It’s just kinda my thing, you know?

Oh… let’s also not talk about the volume of PC games I own too… and two or three old PCs I really should move out of my house… oy!

And a very specific optical drive capable of reading GameCube/Wii discs correctly, or a way to rip the disc images yourself.

Not-so-friendly reminder that downloading ISOs of games you own is still illegal in the US.

I got this working myself, and yes it’s a massive pain in the ass (hacked a Wii, or was it the gamecube, can’t remember). The whole emu thing, for those of you who didn’t catch my tongue in cheek tone, is it’s own game you play. The results are amazing but the journey better be it’s own reward because it will halve your playtime at best.

Yeah, that’s why I like the OG hardware. Put game in. Play. :)

Yeah, I totally got your tone. :)

I actually messed around with an emulator at one point (Gamecube?) because I’d heard similar glowing testimonials. I got it “working” with my discs, but it was clear it was going to be hours of trial and error to get to the level of performance described.

I guess I’ll be forced into the emulation at some point since hardware always fails. Or maybe I’ll continue to spend what some would consider to be a silly amount of money on, oh say, getting the trace corrosion problem fixed on an OG Xbox to bring it back to life.

My wife keeps wanting to get rid of the last tube TV in the house, which I keep in my office. She’s having a hard time understanding that it’s a BIG DEAL that the Dreamcast’s light guns don’t work on a flat-screen set.

Absolutely. I have light guns for the Saturn and keep wanting to snag the GunCons for the PlayStation, all of which require an old set to use. I was fortunate to have a friend hand me his Sony Triniton when my old one quit. I have seriously considered buying/finding another one just in case for down the road. It’s not just light guns either, if you’ve ever tried to use old consoles on current TVs, there can often be issues with timing and display. It’s a real mess.

Point her toward my post and tell her at least it isn’t as bad as all that. You probably don’t have a whole house full of game machines connected all the time. :)

Also, Confidential Mission on Dreamcast… that’s a big thumbs up from me.

To stay on topic a little bit, while the library of games isn’t nearly as broad, the Wii U really is Dreamcast 2.0 in a lot of good ways.