The Wii U Owners Topic

Thanks! I’ve got to say, I laughed out loud too :)

Man. I remember being so jealous of other neighborhood kids and their game machines. Atari, Adam, Colecovision, Apple 2, and especially the hand held stuff that the General Electrics guy would bring home to his son from work trips to Japan. But nope, no “game machines” in our house. I knew envy in unhealthy ways as a child.

Then one day my folks sort of caved by attending some time share sales proposal that gave away an Odyssey to anyone willing to sit through their pitch. They brought it home like some great appeasement even though it was on clearance everywhere with no life to be had in the 80s video game turmiol. I knew of only one kid in the universe that had one and we traded what few games each of our households had scavenged out of clearance bins. Black Jack. Skiiing. Hang Man. Some world war game with that came with magnets and weird chips for money that as a kid I clearly didn’t understand. It was sad. And it was “our game machine.”

I blame that experience for a lot of my modern gaming and game purchasing habits. Yes. Mayhaps some first world PTSD going on there. Shush!

I’m a bit on the edge at the moment. I can get a used Wii U with extra Wii controllers and six games (Splatoon, Mario Kart, Smash Bros among them) for 250€ which looks like a pretty good deal to me. Still I’m wondering if waiting for the Switch to become bundled with games isn’t the more sensible thing to do. I want to play BotW, and I don’t need the portability of the Switch because I love my N3dsxl.

Given that Mario Kart 8 and the Splatoon sequel are going to be on Switch imminently, I’d buy a Switch in your situation. Unless you really like Pikmin and Bayonetta.

And The Wonderful 101, and Affordable Space Adventures, and Super Mario 3D World, and Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, and Captain Toad, and ZombiU, and Yoshi and Kirby and Star Fox… (and multi-platform releases).

Note: I’ve not played all these, but if you’re including Bayonetta and Pikmin, I’ve got to throw in TW101 and the other Nintendo stalwarts, respectively. Affordable Space Adventures is so good too.

You’re covered with Mario Kart 8 and Fast Racing on Switch. It’d be a shame to miss the first Splatoon’s SP campaign but… that’s not exactly what the game’s about, and certainly not where I got my money’s worth!

It’s a tough choice though. I wouldn’t like to be making it!

There’s lots of good games on the Wii-U, indeed. I’ve said so many times in this thread. I’m just not sure EUR 250 is that good a deal for a dead console, even with three games you want. Especially when better versions of that game are available on a new console. I didn’t pay much more than that a year after launch with three games. Admittedly I didn’t get Wii controllers, but then I already had four.

I think the Wii U will ultimately end up a very collectible system. They just didn’t sell that much of anything. There are games on there that likely won’t get re-released anywhere else mainly because of the Gamepad and its function. If you want to play Breath of the Wild now and you think you need some kind of bundle to buy the Switch, then go with the Wii U today.

I own roughly 30 games on the Wii U on discs and a number of others via digital download (indies) that I’m sure I won’t be able to play anywhere else, ever. There are a LOT of great games on Wii U including some of the best entries in some Nintendo genres such as Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and newcomers like The Wonderful 101. What exactly are the six games you’ll be getting? Smash for Wii U is incredible. Splatoon is too. MK8 is still going to be amazing regardless of the Deluxe release on Switch. You’ll have the Wii controllers and the Wii U is fully backward compatible with the Wii, so that’s another massive library you have to choose from. Just do it.

I think it will be collectable too, just for the fact that so few were sold.

But, I think a lot of games will see re-release. I don’t think that there was enough novel usage of the touchpad in a lot of games. Many of my favorites don’t use the tablet for anything much at all. Splatoon is a good example of a recent game using the touchpad well.

Either way, it is definitely going to be a classic, just for the fact that so many good first party nintendo games came out on it. Even if they get re-released, I think people will want to collect the original.

Just checked: the other three games are for the wii. Mario Galaxy 2, Pokepark and Super Mario Bros.

Well, to be fair, Mario Galaxy 2 is a top 10 all time game, so there’s that.

damn… you just reminded me that I bought that in the VC when it was on sale a LONG time ago and I still have yet to play it :(

Super Mario Galaxy 2 ups it quite a bit. That game is totally worth your time.

Is it the Super Mario All-Stars Collection?

I have to imagine Bayonetta 2 will be re-released on the Switch. Platinum might be looking for work after the Scalebound cancellation, and Nintendo shouldn’t be turning their nose up at any AAA titles for the Switch.

TW101 will be more difficult due to the gamepad usage.

Don’t forget Xenoblade Chronicles, great game for the WiiU.

Though, again, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is coming to the Switch. By all means get a Wii-U if you’re completionist/collector-minded. But I’d suggest that if you’re cash constrained, equal or better versions and/or sequels of pretty much every good Wii-U game are going to come to Switch (save the ones I mentioned, and Wonderful 101 I guess).

No, it’s New Super Mario bros.

Ah… still a good game, and another that’s fun with multiple players!

Do you need two wii u controllers or will a wii controller do?

Multiplayer games all use Wii Remotes in addition to the Gamepad for Wii U games. All Wii games will use the Wii Remotes. You will never have more than one Wii U Gamepad.

This WiiU Pro Controller is really flimsy and plasticky. It makes a sound when I push too hard on the left stick.

Is the Switch Pro Controller better at least? Just curious.