The Witcher 3: consumer friendly

Title The Witcher 3: consumer friendly
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Game diaries
When June 21, 2016

In Dying Light, another game I'm catching up on these days, I can make five fire shurikens with a blade, some gauze, and a can of aerosol. So far, the blade and gauze are easy enough to find. But I also need the gauze for medkits, so tough choices must be made..

Read the full article

Now if only repairing your damn swords didn't use up gold faster than you earn it.

Orange Fanta on the fountain machine, must be a bbq place or a fried chicken place.

You could also sharpen them at the grinding stones you find in several villages. Sharpening them also repairs them (which makes sense, if you think about it) and it's free!

For a brief second I was excited that you were friends with the taller guy from The Station Agent...

for a moment, I thought *you* were friends with Ward Littell...

So you never decocted booze, huh?

Wait. What? Holy crap! I've spent over two hundred hours in this game and its expansions and I never noticed this. Does this work with the armor benches too?

Over 100 hours of playtime, scraping by on gold all the while, and I never knew that.

*sobs*

Ward Littell is no friend to Kemper Boyd. No kind of friend at all.

One note, they are not replenished for free. I believe it automatically consumes some sort of alcohol (alcoholest? I cant be bothered to google it) of some grade and upwards to refill all your potions.

Your point still stands though, since the booze is plentifull and somewhat cheap.

Any alcohol, not just the Alcoholest

Yes, armor benches work as well.... To be fair, I only found out during my second playthrough because it said so in one of the tooltips during loading. Guess the long loading times on Ps4 can be useful after all ;-)

WHAT THE...???!@?!!?#?#$?!!???!!!?

Yes, really. You're welcome ;-)

So this isn't happening in my game. I just used the grinding stone and armor repair bench. My weapons and armor are at exactly the same damage level as they were beforehand.

I'm playing on the next to hardest difficulty level, so maybe it only works at lower difficulties?

Beats me: I play at the next to hardest level as well (on Ps4, not that that matters), and it works for me. At least, I think it does..., you got me worrying now. I'm certain I haven't used repair sets or payed for repairs in ages, and I'm also certain I read about it in the tooltips. ?????

I'll check later today!

So, checked it at a grinding stone in Oxenfurt, and sure enough it doesn’t work. I really don’t understand: I’m sure I didn’t just imagine reading the tooltip (which, of course, hasn’t shown itself in the last 5 reloads…), and I’m also sure I haven’t had to repair in ages. But maybe I just upgraded gear a lot? Or maybe it just works in the towns, not in the cities? Anyway, as far as I can tell now, I’m just plain wrong, and have been making a right fool out of myself. Oops!?

Sorry for getting anyone’s hopes up people!

Actually, I'm glad it doesn't work that way. It seems like repairs are a significant money sink, at least early in the game (I can't speak for later). Putting free repairs right alongside the people you pay for repairs seems like pretty confused game design!

"I had to look that up" was the phrase I read immediately after looking up what a decoction was. :)

Corrections:
"shirukens" should be "shurikens"
"ho[a]rding"