The Witcher 3: my get-up-and-go got up and Gwent

Title The Witcher 3: my get-up-and-go got up and Gwent
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Game diaries
When June 27, 2016

Now that I'm playing The Witcher 3 in earnest, I've decided I'm going to ignore Gwent, the ingame collectible card game that Geralt can play to fritter away time and orens..

Read the full article

Turning off markers for points of interest and path to an objective is a... Suprisingly good idea. Those points are usually not worthy of your attention anyway and trying to clear map of them is a very bad idea. Encountering them more naturally should be fun.

It's a pity you can't turn off objective markers themselves. Just as every game that is not Gothic or Morrowind this game has no explanation of where you have to go. Turning goal pointer off would not add immersion but break it as Geralt *knows* where to go but you don't.

If you are on PC, here is a mod to turn off many things, including objective markers. FriendlyHUD.

"Have I made the right decision because Gwent is a good name?"

You sure put a lot of value in the name of a game!

Gwent is exactly as you describe, but the standalone seems to be rebalanced well to support balanced pvp gameplay. Anyway, you made the right choice to engage, the quest in Novigrad is great.

8/10 headline pun. The wordplay itself is strong, and it certainly does explain how you feel- so it works well as a headline.
However, the wordplay seems a tad bit obvious, hence the deduction of 2 points.

I'm one of those people IRL who always uses GPS even when getting to my own home, because my sense of direction is that bad. Turning off direction markers in an RPG sounds terrifying.

After reading that title I want some cheese.

Corrections:
"As a[n] erstwhile Pazzak player"
"I Goggled" (Googled?)
"If the word fits[.]"

I've been looking at some old posts on a quarter to three for the last couple hours and every time I read an article, there you are in the comments. Is there a reason you feel the need to correct articles? Is it just that you have no life, no understanding of how language changes and evolves especially in different forms of communication, are you an English teacher, does it make you feel superior, or are you just an a -hole? I'm genuinely curious because I can't imagine what it must be like to actually know someone as inherently punchable as you. Just reading your correcting posts actually made life seem just a tad less worth living. I've encountered all manner of strange people on the internet. I've met horrible racists, homophobic morons, people that are clearly bi-polar, people that insist they are right when they aren't, and people that just talk out of their backside. I've argued, I've blocked, I've ignored, but until I saw your posts, I never truly hated anyone just for what they posted on the internet. Yet, here I am and I hate you, but I had to ask you what your motivation is for posting your corrections, because the only thing that matches my utter disdain for your existence is the curiosity I have for your purpose in doing what you do. What is your point in correcting everyone?

Part of why he does it is because I've asked him to! :) I'd really hate to think he comes across than anything other than helpful, which is his intent.

And frankly, I've always felt that anyone who sees a typo or error of grammar that I've committed and WHO DOESN'T TELL ME ABOUT IT is the equivalent of someone who doesn't tell you when you have food in your teeth. I fully expect that some people will be polite about it, but a real friend will point out that there's food in your teeth. As a writer, I care very much about the rules of language and therefore correcting mistakes. But as a guy who doesn't have an editor, I'll take all the help I can get!

So, don't hate Mercanis. He's doing a Good Thing! As is anyone else who corrects my grammar, spelling, or factual observations. But so as not to make it seem like the help is unsolicited, I'll try to make a point to post a thanks in the future.

I got to a point where my deck was just unbeatable; Nilf, all heroes, spies, and decoys. There is an interesting quest in the Blood and Wine DLC where you must win using the Skellige faction (introduced in said DLC), which was much more challenging.

So are you still playing?

Or have you gotten hopelessly hooked on Gwent?

Tom, I officially cast my vote for more Witcher 3 game videos & diaries! Where’d you go?!