The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

And with that, the adventure is over.

Blood and Wine alone took me longer than the entire Witcher 2 did, and it was consistently higher quality than anything else on the market. Every quest, every piece of dialogue enjoyable, well written and designed. How does CDP create two expansions of this level of quality and length in a year, I have no idea.

This is how things had ended:

Dettlaff had to die, by the way of Regis’s teeth…Syanna survived and reconciled with Annarietta…Geralt got a medal in addition to 5K and a vineyard, which is nice :). Regis had to leave Toussaint, but not before drinking with Geralt one last time…and Finally, Geralt went home to find… Yennefer there, waiting.

Regis’s “I believe we deserve a bit of a rest” and Geralt’s look at me is…

Suffice to say, I have a feeling we will see Geralt again one day.
What a complete, total masterpiece this game/experience/world is. Even if I did use a couple mods to make it even more enjoyable for me :)

The Game Of The Year edition is out now for all platforms, I notice. And for once that’s a really apt name for a new packaging of this game.

You got the same ending I did. It felt like goodbye, and I mean that in the best and worst senses of that word. I’ll miss Geralt terribly.

And when I do, I’ll just replay Witcher 3 all over again. ;)

Fancy a game of Gwent?

The SP campaign in the F2P Gwent game features Geralt and his buddies.

Oh yeah I know, although I meant full blown Witcher game :)

But I will definitely play Gwent, I thought I would ignore it (eventhough I enjoy it ingame) but with the singleplayer story campaigns, impossible to ignore.

Did you squee at the end? Hehe. What a charming touch that was. Hard to imagine a moment like that from any other game developer.

I squeed internally several times :)
What do you mean specifically? The fairy tale quest, or the Roach quest, or the message after the credits, or the Geralt’s look at us, or the after credits quest of going home, or something else entirely…? :)

Just walking the streets of rebuilding Beauclair…

280 hours and I still don’t want to leave…

All of it! The endgame really picked up the pace.

I assume you did the alternate story quest too. It’s not as good as the one you mentioned though.

Does the city show effects after the end? Not sure I looked.

I think you should start over with that first person mod…

I love how CDP take their time with the endings. Super satisfying on many levels. Complete opposite to vast majority of games, sadly.

Beauclair shows aftereffects. Many buildings are being repaired, the heralds are talking about stuff that happened, there are vampire bodies being burned in the arena.

I didn’t do the alternative branch yet. Might do it someday just to see it, but I liked my choices here :)
Even if it wasn’t happily ever after for everyone.

With Witcher I prefer third person. Even if the first person mod worked perfectly, I don’t think I would use it anyway.

Finished Heart of Stone. I am torn on it. I did really enjoy the story, but it was a bit too much on rails. The wedding went on a bit too long for instance, and the last run to break the mirror was tedious and not at all fun. I had to look it up online because I couldn’t find the final mirror. You would think after 130 hours I would have known to be holding down the witcher sense key to look for the less than obvious solution. Oh well…on to Blood and Wine (which so far is great fun). Is it more open than Heart of Stone was?

Yeah, Heart of Stone is definitely an adventure and a few new areas in Velen and north of Novigrad.

Blood & Wine is a lot bigger and more open overall. When you’re doing some of the main quest, it gets rails-y (which I think is just a function of the main quest storytelling that CDPR uses throughout the main game and expansions), but there so much other stuff to do besides the main quest…

To put it another way, I’ve no idea how much longer I have to go on the main quest in B&W, but I went to Toussaint at level 36, and I’m level 50 now.

Good to hear, thanks triggercut. I don’t mind rails, especially to get the story across, but Heart of Stone was just too much of it as once. Need to break it up with some exploring.

HoS is basically a really long main quest. There’s other stuff to do, but so much of HoS is just that quest, so it kind of dominates things.

The Witcher 3 will not be getting a PlayStation 4 Pro update.

[quote]
“Since we want to fully focus on Cyberpunk 2077 and Gwent, and converting The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt from a full HD game into a 4K one would be too much of a time and resource-consuming process, we decided not to release an edition of Wild Hunt supporting the new features of PlayStation Pro.”[/quote]

Surprising. I figured they would spare a few programmers to at least get better graphics/higher resolution in, if only for the extra marketing it would bring. 60fps is probably off the table due to those slow-ass jaguar CPUs, but even better graphics would be nice extra.

I’m not sure it’s surprising at all. Until we see numbers from Sony about how the PS4 Pro is selling and what the install base is on it, it’s tough to justify for a mid-sized studio and publisher taking that leap of faith this early.

They probably didn’t want to do a half-assed job. Especially after the downgrade controversy.

Wow, what a game. After 56hrs of play I just finished the main storyline and most of the side quests / contracts / treasure hunts / gwent matches. I can’t remember an rpg that I enjoyed as much as this beauty. Can’t wait to tear into the two expansions after a short break.

My favourite parts of the game:

• The side quests involving the Crones, I loved the music and sense of dread during the reveal.
  • The relationship between Geralt and Ciri. There are some moments in the game that are really touching, and are made special from the voice work and the artists/animators who somehow put such convincing emotion in the facial expressions.
  • The Wild Hunt reminded me of the Nazgul in LOTR (in a good way).
  • There are just too many little side quests or characters that I really enjoyed, too many to list. Triss, Yennefer, Lambert, Keira Metz, etc., all stayed interesting and relatable throughout the game.

I should stop before I keep gushing, 10/10, top 5 games of all time.

56 hours? Doing most sidequests/contracts/gwent mattches?

just…how…? I guess I am a super slow ass gamer. By 60th hour I didn’t even visit Skellige yet.

Anyway, get on Hearts of Stone now. Blood and Wine next.