The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Milk-white, apparently.

I’d replay Witcher 1 if all of it looked this good.

I greatly prefer the bad ending + failed romance for Witcher 3. It is so much better, and actually makes progressing to the DLC make more sense after the main campaign. So glad I botched it the first time.

I did a second playthrough and got the good/best ending + romance. It wasn’t nearly as good.

The people on Steam forums ask all the best questions.

The Woody Allen: Child Hunt

I have a DS4 controller. I don’t understand why TW3 detects the controller properly when plugged in, but does not detect it over Bluetooth. On Windows, both controllers show up as “Wireless Controller”.

When plugged in it uses DirectInput. Over BT it does not act that way.

You need to use this:

https://ryochan7.github.io/ds4windows-site/

I’ll have to order a new BT adapter because that tool doesn’t support mine. (I looked already.)

Plus I’m not sure I want to emulate a xbox controller and get all the wrong icons/prompts.

[edit]

If you had a supported Bt adapter you can disable its Xinput support in favour of only DirectInput.

Proper PS4 icons only show up in games that support it directly like recent Ubisoft titles.

But mods will get you close.

I am starting to hate the controls in this game. There’s a delay between issuing a command and Geralt turning his body, moving his limbs, slowing down, etc. to get there. I don’t think a lot of games do this.

:(

Is that with regular movement or alternative? Whichever one it is, try the other one in the options menu.

Even alternative mode has some inertia and yes, it’s quite annoying, even if it looks good. Rockstar games suffer from the same issue.

I somehow finally beat the main game. I spent a crapton of time in doing so despite finally tearing myself away from trying to be too completionist. This was by far my biggest stubling block to finally getting through the game - since I’m not one to typically replay something of this size, I try to see everything in one shot. After Velen, I finally realized that was going to lead to burn out and did what others have always recommended - ignore the ‘?’, and stumble on most things organically. And I cheesed through Gwent too.

Oddly, I think I actually enjoyed the more ‘epic’ feeling of the story in Witcher 2. I realize this game was a more personal adventure, but I’m surprised how much I actually enjoyed the political craziness of W2 in retrospect.

Regardless, now I’m off to the expansions after taking a few more contracts just to hit grandmaster level armor.

The Witcher 3 felt like an anthology of short stories, whereas The Witcher 2 felt like a book - to me at least.

I “cleared” all the ?s in the first area and started getting bored. I think from now on I will stick to the main quest exclusively.

I’m also not really impressed by the graphics. It still “feels like a game” first and foremost, and not an alternate reality or whatever. Meh. Yak is not immersed.

That just seems crazy to me. I just took these a few minutes ago. This isn’t even remotely the nicest looking location in the game, and just look at it!

But really, graphical fidelity doesn’t necessarily == immersion. Some of the most immersive games I’ve ever played haven’t been anything special as far as graphics are concerned. Thief: The Dark Project. Diablo 2. I would even consider Dwarf Fortress to be immersive, partly because the graphics are so rudimentary that you have to use your imagination to fill in the blanks.

I think this is the immersion and graphical fidelity our videogaming Pauline Kael is seeking out:

The screenshots look nice, but playing the game I still feel like I am “piloting” some clumsy vehicle more so than directing my own virtual actions. And the combat is getting to feel repetitive.

Calling the graphics “window dressing” or “lipstick on a pig” may be a little harsh (the game is not horrible) but my feelings lean a little in that direction.

To be fair, it isn’t exactly a new game.