The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Sweet baby back ribs, I forgot where i left off in this, anyway I loaded up and realized I never finished Hearts of Stone. So I attended a wedding tonight. :)

The quality of the quests in this is just on another level. Returning after a long hiatus from playing, its just amazing how good it is. And its hard to believe the game is 4 years old.

Also how is it I ignored the character entries when I played it before? I read a dozen or so of them tonight, and they are all written from Dandelions hand, as if Geralt had told him the story of what happened and he recorded the events. Which is so cool!

I mean I would guess most Switch players are not exactly poor people and likely own at least a normal console if not a PC

But don’t worry I don’t want to deny anything to anyone, if you want to play this in handheld lowres mode go right ahead :)

Yep, the quest design and writing is still unsurpassed. Although I am enjoying Kingdom Come just as much right now. Also really good writing for the most part, but much deeper mechanics and immersiveness than even TW3.

I just didn’t see this. Did you play in English or in Czech? Maybe it lost something in translation?

I played it in English and I agree with Paul. The writing was tastefully understated and tried to avoid the common tropes that games of this type so easily fall back to. I especially liked the main cast of characters, they had this hint of noble romanticism to them, despite inhabiting a relatively grim world. Which, to the credit of the creators, they tried to present as normal every day life for that time period - and succeeded as far as I’m concerned. Overall it felt like a good story about medieval times that ends on a mostly positive note.

To be fair to the game I didn’t get through it all, so maybe it gets better. I did like the very beginning for a couple hours.

There were certain characters I thought were written better than others. I think it was the guy who was in charge at the second castle that was good. The writing for his girlfriend I thought was pretty bad.

Hey I don’t, I played it in glorious high res at high refresh. ;)

I especially liked how you’d meet someone and you wouldn’t get them immediately telling their whole life story in reams of text!

Also the actual prose was nicely done, great turns of phrase, and mostly natural dialogue. A cut above to this day.

I am playing in czech with english voiceovers (since czech ones do not exist, but I would probably pick english anyway because I like Henry’s voice a lot). So I read and hear both and I find both to be great for the most part. The characters are just very natural, like in… TW3.

High Five :)

Any recommended mods for a newbie running shitty hardware? Thanks.

I’m finally playing through this ‘for real’ - making actual progress for once. Focusing on quests moreso than question marks which really helps.

Those character entries are wildly important to me. Sometimes I miss some detail in the quest, and the character entries or quest entries fill in a lot of detail. And also tell me when I chose wrong. So I reload a save, and go the other direction. And it handily tells me I’m still wrong. The game gives me anxiety.

So, I just started this, and the CGI nude scenes just aren’t doing it for me. They need to use mocap in more places. Not enough stuff is “jiggling” like it’s supposed to, too.

You probably would have been more impressed if you’d played it when it was first released, over three years ago… :)

Over four years ago now!

They could license some Japanese middleware at least. I mean, the Japanese have pretty much turned boob physics from an art form into a science.

I sort of feel like you might be missing the point of the Witcher. Or maybe I just played it wrong.

I’m kidding!

The Witcher 2/3? Maybe. The Witcher 1? I have my doubts.

People forget the series’ roots are… problematic.

Mam I loved those cards. I didn’t love them enough to collect ALL of them, because I didn’t enjoy the janky gameplay itself much, and I prioritize gameplay over story and boobs in the Witcher series (which is why the Witcher series never quite delivers for me), but I liked them enough to at least try for them.

It’s just too bad I live in the U.S. where they were censored because we’re utterly terrified of nakedness. But I sought out the uncensored versions later and they were cool as hell.

I’ll be 100% honest here, I never played the original Witcher really. I started the series with 3 and played backwards. Two I powered through because I wanted more Geralt but the game play was kind of janky on a lot of levels and I enjoyed it a fair bit less.

I couldn’t even get myself to make it more than 3 minutes into the Witcher 1. It’s almost as eye-searing as FFVII. Those graphics did not age well. One could argue I missed the point of that one, as it may well have had an incredible story. Fortunately, I could guess at the broad plot points from context in the other games, because there is a level of ocular agony I won’t subject myself to, and Witcher 1 is about where I draw that line.

The sex scenes and Geralt’s EXTR3ME BL0ND3 H4IR have always made me cringe a little inside. The stories are usually okay.

I thought Geralt’s hair was silver/grey.