The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

First Divinity Original Sin 2 (DRM Free) and now Witcher 3 (DRM Free) offer multiplatform savegames… It is as if the good guys are good.

Has anyone played this on the Switch in handheld mode? Thought about getting it but the pics and vids I’ve seen make it look really washed out, lacking definition and I imagine it suffers from frame rate issues to even run on the Switch.

Loved the Witcher series on Netflix, can’t wait for Season 2. I tried to capture a scene that just looked like a screen grab from the game"

Roach looks kind of anemic in that shot. Couldn’t they have gotten a tougher looking horse?

I noticed that there is an option to auto level enemies in the settings, does anybody have this switched on?

I did, but it breaks several Hunts by making the enemy incredibly more powerful than intended, just an FYI. I left it on most of the game, and turned it off when facing an enemy that seemed broken (this included some main campaign encounters, too).

I seem to recall the Rats become invincible killing machines with it turned on, too ;)

Not sure where else I would put this, but Joseph Anderson has started to dive into this series. I do enjoy his insightful longform pieces, and while I’m not done with this–the first of three–videos yet, it’s in line with this previous analysis videos he has done. It’s pretty darn long, so you’ll have to watch it over several sessions.

You’re not kidding about the length! Over 4 hours for the “intro”? Wow.
Have fun! I’d rather start another replay with that sort of time investment.

All right, so I continue my being extremely late to the party by getting back to the Witcher 3 this weekend. I actually had wrapped up the main campaign some time back, and was a little burned out on witchering, but I figured it was time to get back into things and try out Hearts of Stone.

Holy crap, why didn’t anybody tell me how good this was?? (Yes, I imagine if I scroll back through this thread, lots of people said just that) This was far better than any content in the main game, and paced perfectly, just the perfect length. I loved all the twists and turns and the variety of mission objectives. OK so I’m hunting a giant monster in the sewers no wait I am on a ship and oh crap it’s wrecked now I’m fighting dudes naked on a beach no wait I’ve been offered a deal I can’t refuse so I have to fulfill three wishes for an immortal dude so now I’m hosting a ghost to take to a wedding party then I’m in a heist to break into a vault and then I’m running through a haunted mansion? I never knew what was coming next!

And Olgierd and Gaunter O’Dimm have to be about the best characters I’ve encountered in a video game in jeez, I don’t know when. They’re both smooth operators and casually evil but with enough flash of humanity to make you care about them. Man, this one kept me going and pulled me in. I hope Blood and Wine is this good.

Hey, I’m still working on the main campaign after 4 years or so.

I fina-fucking-lly rescued Dandelion. Then I was able to get back to some stuff that seemed more engaging. I still keep slipping in and out of it, though.

It is different. Storytelling in Hearts of Stone is possibly the best in videogames, in Blood and Wine it is still better than most games but not as good. On the other hand it is much larger expansion with more things to do, amazing atmosphere and just completely different vibe than HoS. Both are 10/10, for different reasons.

And it’s done! Wrapped up the Blood and Wine content yesterday and with that, I have completed my journey through the world of The Witcher 3, and can finally join the rest of you from 2015 or so. My style of playing this ended up kind of mimicking how I end up playing most Bethesda games - I play for a good solid while and then when I start to feel fatigue coming on, I set it aside. Sometimes for months, in this case for years. Except I did this twice actually, once in the middle of the main TW3 campaign and again once I had finished that, pausing for the DLC. And in both cases, the pause was about 2 years.

But enough of that, I will say I thoroughly enjoyed Blood and Wine. Not quite as much as Hearts of Stone, which is still the quality high water mark in my opinion, but it was really good. Both of them I enjoyed much more than the main game, which felt both somewhat rote, and also much like ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag. Hearts of Stone was tight and fast, and Blood and Wine was a bit looser but still an engaging and quickly paced experience. Plus I got a house where I could stash all my stuff! That was awesome.

Really dug the little moments, too, like fighting in the knights’ tournament and the central mystery of the vampires’ involvement. One of the best moments for me was doing the fistfight with the guy who only wanted to engage in a duel of wits, so we had a Monkey Island-style insult fight. I would imagine the younger players had no idea what was going on with that, but I totally had a Captain America ‘I understood that reference!’ moment.

I ended up with a fairly tragic resolution to the whole thing which made me feel bad enough that I almost jumped back and tried to fix it, but then I figured no, sometimes things don’t work out just right in the world of the witcher, I should just suck it up. And then the epilogue discussions with Regis and Yen made a really great capper. Who would have thought, a witcher gets to retire and make wine. Probably the least expected outcome imaginable.

I wanted to knock this out before Cyberpunk’s release and by god, I did it. Patting myself on the back. Since I’m much more of a sci-fi guy than fantasy, that release is much more interesting to me but I will say The Witcher was a great experience. Glad I finally pushed through to completion.

I do need to play the two expansions at some point. I’ve never felt like jumping in yet though.

I have a technical question. When I use my controller on the PC, when I move the camera pretty much looks up his butt, and I cannot change the view angle while moving. I turned off the setting to auto-center the camera, but that didn’t work.

Any ideas?

Have you tried the Absolute Camera mod?

No. But what is really weird is I put Boot Camp on my MacBook Pro, and used the same dongle, with the same controller, with the same copied Steam install… and it worked fine.

I am not sure why this is.

Cool story bro. I did everything you did, only twice!

Are you saying you did the entire game plus dlc twice? That’s a pretty serious undertaking, don’t think I could do it.