The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Windows has pretty decent snapping if all you want is 1/2 and 1/4 screen windows.

For more advanced settings, you can try Divvy - it looked nice from the trial but I found Windows’ built in functions more than enough (for a ultra wide monitor).

I’ve done some with DisplayFusion on the gaming PC, though often I’m too lazy to bother. My work computer is a Mac, and I’m not aware of a good option there, so I just manually drag and resize things where I want them. Once they’re in place, OSX is pretty good about keeping them there on reopening or even after restarting the computer.

For Mac I like Moom for Windows sizing and placement.

For Windows the Windows 10 PowerToys feature “FancyZones”. That enhances the built-in window management.

I wouldn’t buy an OLED TV for productivity work. Burn in makes them particularly ill-suited to general desktop use. If you are using the same programs with icons and toolbars in the same place, for hours a day, that’s going to be a problem.

Looks like technology has circled back to having 1980s issues.

With the newest OLEDs the problem is reduced. There are also settings to help undo any burn-in.

I used a burn-in prone plasma TV as my PC for a few years back when. I did watch TV and play games on the same computer though, so it wasn’t entirely static.

Yes, burn-in gets improved with each generation. And for general use of watching TV, movies and playing videogames (provided you aren’t playing the same game for hundreds of hours) you might not ever experience it before upgrading to your next TV. But I still wouldn’t risk it for productivity/desktop use personally.

Keep in mind that unlike plasma, OLED burn-in is cumulative. Playing a piece of content with a fixed logo in place for 1 hour every day, for a 10 day period, has the same degradation as playing it for 10 hours in one sitting.

I’ve been having a blast all summer with my gaming PC hooked up to a new 65" oled. I try to be conscientious about burn-in so thanks for the reminder to drag my Windows taskbar to the top of the screen for a while!

I gots to get back and finish Blood and Wine before Cyberpunk!

FWIW I do have my PC hooked up to my OLED tv, but that PC is only ever used for gaming. And even then, I like to avoid using it for games that I might sink hundreds of hours into (Football Manager, Crusader Kings).

Seriously? That’s super dumb. I am using plasma for my windows use (typing this from it) and in 7 years, there is zero burn-in because any retention gets quickly erased with that scroll white and black feature, and I use browser in fullscreen mode. I thought it would be the same with OLED if I ever upgrade, but guess not.

OLED TVs do have similar retention-mitigation features. They also have additional smart features like local auto luminance adjustment, where they can dim bright areas that they detect have been static for some time.

The cumulative aspect, is just because the OLEDs themselves have a lifespan. Their luminance degrades with use, and if you use some of them a lot and some of them hardly at all (say a white block on a black screen), the often-used ones will get dimmer over time whereas the rarely-used ones will still be brighter. This is what burn-in on an OLED is - some OLEDs wearing out faster than others (plasma is similar, it’s uneven phosphor wear).

The mentioned mitigation features can combat this to a degree too - you can run a mode that attempts to equalise the brightness of all the OLEDs, I guess it works by burning down the underused ones so that the whole screen is of similar luminance. Running it all the time is obviously not great as it saps the lifespan, it’s recommended to do once a year or something.

And LG OLEDs (and I assume other manufacturers?) will run that process automatically after a certain amount of usage. I believe it’s every 2000 hours.

Worth noting that brightness also has an impact. The brighter you drive the pixels, the faster they will degrade. Watching SDR content at max brightness will cause burn-in signficantly faster, while watching at a sensible level will extend the lifespan (HDR works differently and brightness/oled light level should be left alone for that).

The colour of the content also makes a big difference. The red subpixel tends to wear out significantly faster than the other colours, followed I think by green, then blue and finally white. Which is why LG keeps increasing the size of the red subpixels with newer panels. It’s also why the CNN logo is notoriously bad for burn-in.

Ultimately, the improvements add up to OLED burn-in seemingly being in a much better place now than it was a few years ago. But the nature of the technology means it’s always likely to be unsuitable for some households and usage patterns.

Shrug, I’m sure they’ll last for 5+ years easily and by that time prices will have dropped way down. You can’t obsess about that stuff.

5 years is not long for these types of electronics. My current TV is in year 13, and my current monitor is in year 8. I would want them to last 15 years or so each. Right?

Some people with earlier models had burn-in within months, not years. Newer models are much better, but we really have no idea how they will hold up in 5+ years given that none of them are even approaching that age yet.

It also seems likely that there’s some element of panel lottery to it, with some panels lasting longer than others. Even with earlier models there were some people who got years of use with no burn-in, while others have had FIFA or Destiny 2 permanantly burned-in after less than one. Unfortunately none of the manufacturer’s consider burn-in to be a fault though.

My favorite part of Blood and Wine so far… the quest with the bickering husband and wife spirits. After I tell hubby he’s getting the boot, here’s his response to his wife’s urn of remains.

How so?

Poorly supported as in, few games offer it as an option or that the implementation is bad all over?

Both column A and B.

Seemed decent enough in the games I’ve played with it on, except Destiny 2 got a bit dark. Got any examples to what is bad about its implementation in a game?

I’ve found it to be worthwhile, albeit finicky.

For a while I had an issue where I would be playing a game in HDR mode, and there would be a pop-over notification because I changed the volume or I got an achievement, and that would cause it to flicker and drop out of HDR mode, and then flicker again when returning to it after the popup expired. I think that’s been fixed though.

Oh, there were also some issues related to having one HDR display and one non-HDR display. Ori & the Will of the Wisps would start on the non-HDR display because it was my primary, and when I moved it over the HDR wouldn’t work properly, with everything all washed out. I had to make the HDR primary to avoid that. But once I did that, it looked amazing and I didn’t have any further issues.