The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Thanks for the detailed write up - it has me chomping at the bit to start (still in the tutorial). I also suck at melee and was thinking of playing on baby mode (forget what it’s called) but I’ll give normal a shot.

I had heard the same recommendation on a ‘beginner’s tips’ youtube video – I will give that a try also. I really do want an open world to wander in, without the clunkiness of Elder Scrolls games.

I have been planning to start a first playthrough around the Christmas holidays. Perfect timing!

Trying to decide if I should grab it on PC, or try it on xbox series x. Have they released any footage of the update for xbox?

If you have a good PC I would say it is preferable. It is afaik the only platform capable of RTGI and 60fps combined, not to mention ultra+ detail settings, not to mention extra mods.

That is what I’ve been leaning towards. I’ll probably do that, and give Skyrim a try on the Xbox to see how it looks there since it is in game pass.

Fwiw, it runs great and looks great on my two-year laptop.

I don’t know if it’s still possible, but at one point they gave away a PC copy of the game on GoG to anyone who owned it anywhere else, whether that’s Steam or Xbox or PS4.

They talk about this on the 30 minute Witcher 3: Next-Gen presentation. Link to that section:

They added full Chinese and Korean voice acting for the next gen version too. That’s a lot more effort than I expected, so much dialog in this game.

After grabbing this on the Steam sale, then playing (and enjoying) it for 2.5 hours, the game suddenly won’t run. It boots to a black screen that stays minimized. I tried some small fixes that a google search turned up, to no avail, so now I’ve uninstalled and will try a fresh install. Annoying, since it ran beautifully in the first two hours an I’ve changed nothing since.

I’m playing on a laptop with a separate nVidia GPU and the issue seems to happen when the game switches to that GPU from the internal one – which again was not an issue the first few times I played. Hopefully this reinstall will solve it.

EDIT: Reinstalling solved it. Hopefully it doesn’t keep happening.

And its happening again. The game switches resolutions automatically when I start it, but then is stuck in a minimized black screen. I give up.

I think I had the same issue, or at least similar. I think I fixed it by using Alt + Enter to change it between full screen, windowed or borderless. This would bring it back from minimized and all was good.

Thanks, I’ll try that!

Dec 14 is 11 days away. The Witcher 3 game out in 2015. You already waited 7 years, might as well wait for the big update!

Maybe I’ll finally reinstall and play past the first hour of the game!

That was my next option. But googling the issue turned up several possible fixes (years of people reporting this issue), and one of them worked – I have to go into the nVidia control panel before starting and set it to NVIDIA GPU only. I have to do this frequently between play sessions – it doesn’t seem to stick and reverts to Automatic Select, but once I set it, the game boots to full screen and runs fine. So annoying but fixable. Onward!

Hopefully the coming update doesn’t bork save games.

Do you have 2 GPUs in your system?

Have they said whether the update will be an entirely new install/version or just an update to your existing installation?

True, but Neocore is a lot smaller operation than CDP Red I think.

A lot of higher end laptops have Intel GPUs and NVidia GPUs. Having to set the NVidia GPU for certain games is quite common if the game has trouble identifying the better GPU.