The worst thing you'll see all week: The Mandalorian

Gonna be hard getting all those Dolphin / Ape / other animal actors though…

It’s a post-hoc rationalization in a world whose technology is otherwise completely stagnant for thousands of years. The real reason it’s in this show is “LOOK GUYS! REMEMBER EMPIRE STRIKES BACK?”, because for some reason the Star Wars universe is extremely small - everything always comes back to stuff from the old movies.

Vader used carbonite in Empire, so of course all bounty hunters use carbonite now. I guess word just got out. The Rise of Skywalker inevitably dusts off Palpatine, and brings back the Death Star’s wreckage.

Solos and Skywalkers and lightsabers and AT-AT walkers and X-Wings forever! Hook it to my veins! Bring back Yoda! Do a miniseries on how Obi-Wan decided to call himself “Old Ben Kenobi”! I need to know how Han got his last name! Wait they did that one.

I think you guys will be happier if you turn your brains off and stop using those critical thinking skills every second of your lives.

That’s not how brains work!

This may be an instance where being extremely naive works to your advantage.

I thought it was a pretty good scene – we (the audience) know that the fish-guy is trying to escape and up to know good. We also suspect that the bounty hunter knows that too, but for some reason he’s letting the guy wander around where he can grab a gun or whatever. Then, seeing all the carbonite slabs, the scene takes a bit of a left turn, and a darker one at that: the Mandalorian is not just a bounty hunter, he’s a really good and busy bounty hunter; the fish guy has no chance. Moreover we learn that the whole “letting him wander around” thing was just the bounty hunter being efficient – he didn’t want to bother dragging a struggling captive downstairs, so he just let fish-guy wander over to the carbonite chamber on his own.

And the carbonite thing being a throw-back to the second movie was no big deal. It’s visual shorthand to that audience: “hey, this guy is a lot like the bounty hunters you’ve seen previously”.

I like that he tries to take all the bounties from Carl Weathers. Reminds me of how I fish for all the small routes in Ticket to Ride.

I thought the carbonite freezing was a special untested thing they did for Han Solo. Now it’s just a portable thing everyone has in their spaceship?

When the idea turns out to be viable, I think bounty hunters adapting it quickly makes sense.

I think my favorite part of the show was the Carl Weathers scene. It gave the impression that after the empire went down, resources have gotten scarce. We’re probably in a galaxy-wide recession right now where even bounty hunters are having a tough time making ends meet. They’re obviously organized in this guild and it feels like the guild is pretty efficient. I feel like the guild would help spread the word among all the bounty hunters that there’s a new way to turn in bounties that’s been tested and is now the new standard.

Clone wars season 3 sees several main characters go through carbonite freeze during a mission. Its established tech outside the main films thats been around a while within the universe.

Maybe the empire film specific bespin facility was more industrial and not really designed for living organisms.

It all a dumb retcon. Even back in the pre-Disney takeover days, authors loved to jam it into their stories. It’s very obvious from Empire that carbonite freezing was a juryrigged solution for transporting Solo. It was untested prior to that and even Fett was wary that it might kill his bounty.

But hey, whatever. Star Wars gonna Star Wars.

It’s a ‘dumb’ retcon? Clone Wars is the only thing that actually makes sense out of all the media produced so far.

The only good thing about the original trilogy is that it allowed for the creation of am excellent animated series. Otherwise, it would be space wizards.

I like your moxie. And I want to subscribe to your newsletter.

Sometimes people prefer ‘dumb’ retcons?

Yes it is.

Anyway, the only thing you have to go on that it is relatively new technology is that there is some risk to Solo. It can’t be too much of a risk, since Vader wanted to use it on his son as well.

So, I take it to me that that the machine, not the technology, might have some risk to it.

It IS a dumb retcon. But I’m not sure if I personally care much about it.

Extending with the prequels was dumb enough, before even considering their sub-par content. Why would you want to spoil one of the most amazing twists of cinema in the middle of Ep 5, by showing the history of Vader?

I don’t think there is a retcon here.