The Xbox 360 controller remains the king for PC gaming

Title The Xbox 360 controller remains the king for PC gaming
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When September 25, 2018

Valve has released some interesting stats for controller use on their platform. In summary, the Xbox 360 controller is far and away the most widely used controller on Steam, with 45% of players using it over other options. Another 20% of players use a PS4 controller..

Read the full article

Yeah I really loved my 360 controller on PC, till the left thumb stick went crazy after a few years, been using a Xbox One controller on PC since, and it too works great.

That’s creepy. Can they tell when I’m picking my nose too?

They briefly touch on “…software that translates their PS4 controller input into Xbox controller input” but it isn’t clear if the survey counts those as PS4 or Xbox 360 controllers. As far as I can tell, Steam thinks my PS4 controller is an Xbox 360 controller. Not due to anything they’ve done wrong, mind. Origin gave me a hell of a time trying to get Steam Input to work, to the point that I gave up and settled on DS4Windows.

I recently switched to an Xbox One controller, which I do find superior to the 360, but I did use a 360 for years and still would. Both are just fantastic.

The 360 controller is probably more popular due to most folks having a spare one laying around.

It’s also easy to pair it wirelessly to your Steam Link, whereas you need the Bluetooth edition of the XB1 controller to do that. Otherwise you’re tethered to a USB cable like a cave man.

I just recently set my ANCIENT 360 controller aside because of B button issues.

Absolute unit of a controller.

I still like using cables. Sir.

Haha, I’m one of the Steam Controller users but I still use my 360 pads as well. Both are great. The real star of the show is Steam’s configurator, which gives you unprecedented freedom to do what you like with your device.

I’ve got a Steam controller, but I’ve never successfully used it for games. I just use it to help switch video output from monitor to TV.

Correction:
“supportung”

I currently use an Xbox 360 controller but was thinking of picking up a Steam controller if it offered increased functionality. Specifically, I still need my keyboard hooked up to my PC because I couldn’t figure out a way to bypass the Windows 10 login prompt. For some reason it won’t recognize the Xbox 360 controller inputs until I get past that screen (even using software which lets the controller emulate a mouse). Anybody have similar issues?

I haven’t used my 360 in … years, I have to admit. But my controller still keeps on going on my PC.

Unfortunately that sort of happens with the Steam Controller too, at least, it’s not easy to login using the controller compared to the mouse. I think you can manage it with a struggle. I hate that login screen.

I use a 360 pad too, with some wireless dongle. Any upside to getting one of the newer controllers? I want to upgrade something on this rig which costs less than a 2080 dammit.

I just want to chime in that I use my PS3 controller with a driver that makes it spoof a 360 controller. My PC and Steam thinks it’s a PS3 controller. So I imagine that millions of those 360 controllers on Steam are actually PS3 pads. Right?

The above is true but I’m now a Steam Controller convert.