The Xbox One X - Project Scorpio lives and I am a dumbass for thinking it would be the Xbox 10 S

Anybody around who thinks this way…well they need serious help.

If it showed better at E3 and didn’t get delayed post E3 I might be.

Yeah, that was unfortunate. I love the concept of Crackdown. I bought the original to play again before the sequel arrived… and then it got delayed. I hope it looks better next time we see it.

To be fair, dive also pointed out that this is an Xbox thread and that tedious dick-waving by Sony fanboys might be better off in another thread.

Which is a valid point.

Certainly so, and obviously these discussions can get pretty passionate to their own detriment. It’s probably worth noting at this point that I have an approximately -48% chance of buying any console this generation, so my level of investment in one side or another is low! I think it’s an interesting topic, though, and one that has real effects on my PC gaming hobby, so I follow along a little.

I agree with that, which is why I talked specifically about their ad and the lineup they advertised within it! I didn’t even mention other console makers as a comparison until that became part of the discussion.

Also, regarding your earlier point about Nintendo and backward compatibility, they have decided to scrap it with Switch (at least as far as we’ve seen so far and I don’t expect that to change) but I have all my Wii stuff on my Wii U and before that I played all my Gamecube stuff on the Wii. GameBoy games played on GameBoy Advance. GameBoy and GameBoy Advance played on the DS. DS played on DSi. DS/DSi games play on 3DS. They did pretty good with that til they changed the entire paradigm to a hybrid portable/home console.

They announced this week they were bringing Spencer into Microsoft’s Senior Leadership Team. That’s the top group of advisors to Nadella; they meet weekly. I wonder if that signifies any kind of renewed effort?

I hope bringing Ninja Gaiden Black to Windows 10 is one of the agenda items for the weekly meeting.

I wouldn’t call it a “renewed” effort. I would call it a confirmation of what’s been happening internally for a long time.

Despite all the rumors when Satya first took over as CEO, that he wanted to spin off or sell off Xbox or something, gaming has been a massive push and top priority of Satya’s since the beginning of his tenure. Spencer took over gaming from Mattrick very soon after Satya became CEO. 6 months after that, Microsoft bought Mojang. Spencer then directed Windows to be a part of that gaming effort, and a whole lot more.

Additionally, Spencer had to spend over a year simply fixing Mattrick’s mistakes. He wasn’t in a position yet to suddenly kick off development of massive, expensive, brand new IP AAA games the second he takes over the job. So even though Spencer became head of Xbox 3.5 years ago, it’s not like there have actually been 3.5 full years of opportunity to come out with new exclusive IP.

Try before you buy this weekend @ BestBuy

On Saturday, September 23, and Sunday, September 24, select Best Buy stores across the US will have the Xbox One X on display with Forza Motorsport 7, giving many their first opportunity to play the upcoming console. The Saturday session will be available from 12 PM - 7 PM local time, while the Sunday demo will run from 11 AM - 6 PM.

You can find your nearest participating Best Buy store here. Future demo events will also be held at Microsoft Stores and GameStop locations; Microsoft will announce the details of those demos leading up to the events.

Canada - Decent trade in offer at EBGames. 200 off an X1X pre-order for any X1 or PS4. 226 in Ontario. They’re also offering double trade credit for two X1/PS4/Switch games with a coupon in their Forza flyers.

Digital Foundry runs through the various display options available running Rise of the Tomb Raider.

That’s encouraging news for me as the owner of a 1080p TV. That the best way to play is in 1080p high framerate mode, but which plays with higher detailed textures.

4K is a gimmick in the vast majority of living rooms. You need to sit really close to a huge-ass TV to tell a real difference in moving content.

HDR is not a gimmick. Variable refresh rates are not a gimmick. Higher image quality (with expensive techniques like full ambient occlusion) and framerates are not gimmicks. These things matter.

This spring I bought a 75 inch 4K HDR Sony and the components needed to maximize it. I should be the perfect candidate for the Pro and the X.

Know what? Games on the original PS4 and XBOX 1 S look amazing upscaled and in HDR. I see no reason to purchase the 1/2 steps at this time.

Neither is a half step. The PS4 is the only true 1080p console you can buy today. The XboneX won’t be a true 4k console but it’s closer than the PS4 pro and certainly a hearty full step from the XboneS.

If you’re looking for a next generation to enable new gameplay experiences, well, prepare to be disappointed. There haven’t been any new gameplay experiences of note enabled by hardware since the original Xbox allowed for true 3D without major compromise. VR isn’t it. Neither is motion control.

You don’t get HDR by just having a TV with it. The system (game console/streaming box)have to do it too and the game or video have it implemented.

Agreed! However I believe that both the regular PS4 and the Xbox One S fully implement HDR when available in the game. The Pro and X models should not be needed to add HDR. Both Horizon Dawn Zero and Gears 4 both looked gorgeous on my regular consoles.

Let me get this straight: The original xbox was a “new gameplay experience of note enabled by hardware”, but the premiere Rift games aren’t?