The Xbox One X - Project Scorpio lives and I am a dumbass for thinking it would be the Xbox 10 S

My 3DS is probably one of my favorite gaming devices of all time, especially since it can play DS games. And most of them definitely involve some sort of stylus input.

Backward compatibility is why I love my DS Lite (GBA), DS (DS), Vita (PSP, albeit digital and PSone titles).

And I wasn’t sure whether to get a PS4 or Xbone for the longest time and BC helped me make a decision in the Xbone’s favor. I could take or leave the exclusives for either system at the time.

Being able to get back to my 360 backlog (or replay favorites or continue adding to my collection) without having to keep the thing taking up space is awesome. It’s also great to repurchase those games digitally and be able to put the discs away. They’re on sale frequently enough that it’s worth the cost for the convenience.

I missed out on the PS3 and if the PS4 had backward compatibility, it would have been a no brainer purchase for me. I would love a PS3 still but don’t have room for it on my TV stand.

That’s fair, but I’ve never even heard of any of those games other than elite beat agents. I’m not a console gaming maven, but they certainly didn’t set the world on fire. Much like VR, I’m not saying VR isn’t a truly new gameplay experience, just that it hasn’t found its Super Mario Bros.

I agree with stusser, to a degree here. While the DS family has enabled some unique experiences (i.e. stylus based touchscreens, as distinct from finger-based ones), they haven’t been widely adopted by the industry, or even universally adopted within the platform.

Many DS games only make use of the standard SNES controls, with touchscreen support essentially just standing in for a couple of extra buttons.

So if you were to ask “was this transformative to the industry at large”, the way that 3D graphics, or the ubiquitous dual-analog/12-button controllers, the answer is no. Which isn’t to discount those experiences that the DS did enable, just that it didn’t trigger a paradigm shift in the industry.

Mobile-device based finger touchscreens have been transformative in a market-expansion/social acceptability way. But we still typically view that as a separate market from consoles. If we’re talking about consoles, the basic framework hasn’t changed since ubiquitous multiplayer via Xbox live (which you can peg on OG Xbox or 360, depending on how you feel.)

Can we move the non-xBox One X discussion to a new thread?

Yes, just create a Stusser hates on technology X thread. Can rant all he wants then.

Given it was the one game confirmed so far at E3, you’re in luck. :)

Or as a half-assed analog stick. I would have loved for SM64 on the DS to have had a better control scheme.

On topic, how long until we have 1X-only BC titles? The extra juice has to make it easier to get some games up to speed. I give it a couple of years, by then they won’t be worried about hurting 1S sales anymore.

This would be the best selling handheld of all time you’re talking about?

No, I was referring to the specific games he listed. Reading comprehension is key to effective communication.

https://i.imgur.com/iWKad22.jpg

ccefef1ac9f435dc796fc33efcb4d99a

They’re not exactly obscure. I own all of them but Henry Hatsworth. TWEWY is generally considered the best JRPG on the platform. You could also add Wario Ware Touched, and Rhythm Heaven which are multi-million sellers. Trauma Centre. Cooking Mama.

I mean, I’d love many more, but I’m ok with that one for a start!

Very cool, and actually a relevant post ;)

Crimson Skies (as posted before)
Psychonauts! Please!
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (always wanted to finish this)

And I’d like these, just to pick a handful of games completely at random:

I’m just catching up on this thread, but I’m sure plenty of other people already jumped in to point out that it was Turok that did console FPS controls right, right? That was the foundation of the standard twin-stick we all love today.

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel? I’ve never known anyone who tried that game before. How was it?

Turok was on the N64, but so was Goldeneye. I played Goldeneye with the C-buttons (yellow) as the WASD keys for movement, and the analog stick for aiming. I can’t remember what the Turok scheme was. Was it similar? I even played all the way through Turok, so I should remember this.

Default control scheme on Goldeneye wasn’t the twin-stick/mouselook + WASD approximation though. Analog stick aimed left/right, moved forward/backward. C-buttons aimed up/down, strafe left/right. It wasn’t one stick for movement and one stick for aiming the way we’re all accustomed to now. It was an abomination.

Turok was c-buttons for all movement, analog stick for all aiming, as god intended!

I’m not seriously trying to contribute to the debate here, just being pedantic about a thing that mattered a lot to me at the time.